Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 - Ireland Online - Evaluation Tread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fight 4- Chopper copping on to my aggressive tactics- got lucky in winning this one.

I tried to EX Butt Splash between the two kicks, I failed.

My Fuerte is definitely more hit and hope than skill and I generally play Honda, just switch to Fuerte for fun. Was nice to be delivering the airthrows for a change!

I need to force myself into training mode to learn HHS combos so I can punish better and build meter easier.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kirby wrote: »
    I got next :D. I can imagine that our dhalsim vs guile matches are usually interesting for us.....but dead boring for other people to watch me thinks.

You're on Xbox though, aren't you?

I could record some matches at XGC...

My Fuerte is definitely more hit and hope than skill and I generally play Honda, just switch to Fuerte for fun. Was nice to be delivering the airthrows for a change!

I need to force myself into training mode to learn HHS combos so I can punish better and build meter easier.

I dunno, I never really bother with training myself. Prefer to learn stuff mid combat!

Teaching yourself to piano buttons in the correct order mid match is quite hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Teaching yourself to piano buttons in the correct order mid match is quite hard.

Aye, ive been in training a lot lately trying to get it down. Im pretty good at doing hondas jab into hands now but cant do blankas jab into electricity. Blankas is a lot harder to combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I dunno, I never really bother with training myself. Prefer to learn stuff mid combat!

Totally know where your coming from. I was like this in 3s, although I kinda had no choice really. But messing around in training is really beneficial , I mean I don't spend all day there but I sometimes wanna see which moves do the most damage. Or try out some B&B combos. You'd be surprised, like sometimes you may try out a combo in training for 5-10 mins, only pull it off half the time or less and think "ah **** it I wont be getting this any time soon" and head online for a few games and all of a sudden your pulling off what you were doing in training 'automatically' with out much effort.

Execution and combos are nothing compared to pure experience - knowledge and the ability to put yourself in your opponents mind I agree.
    I mean my execution needs a lot of work, I can be a really clumsy player, I make a lot of input errors that cost me games at times but still there's been countless times I've fought players online with extremely impressive execution and on paper they should dominate me.
    But I'd destroy them, sometimes its cause these players lock themselves into this one pattern and have no ability to adapt but other times........

I just dunno what it is, they'd have perfect spacing, perfect execution and perfect defense yet I'd still beat them and I'd just be thinking "wtf, why am I beating this guy" and I can only put it down to the fact that at this stage I've spent a lot of time playing different online players, and as much as 3s may have given me bad habits the vast amount of different play styles I encountered on that versus the large amount of clones I face in SF4... I guess it goes to show that you can spend weeks studying the game, the spacing, the combos, etc etc but if you don't have the ability to get into the other players head there's only so far you can go.

Sorry I've after typing a load of bollocks no ones gonna read :pac: but anyway... having said all that, I have found that getting some B&B stuff down in training can just help in terms of giving you more options to play with and catch people off guard. So people such as yourself who know the mind V mind aspect of the game very well will be even more deadly with some evil combos ready to pull off at your whim.
    :)

Ah balls I should actually say, NOOOO DOOM STAY AWAY FROM TRAINING MODE :p

Nah that's kinda my opinion. Experience in game I feel is the most important thing. I have no problem with people disagreeing with that, it's just the best way I learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Nah that's kinda my opinion. Experience in game I feel is the most important thing. I have no problem with people disagreeing with that, it's just the best way I learn.

Experience in game is deffo the most important thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No vids of me vs Doom, blame network issues & me having to help out a neighbour :/

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No vids of me vs Doom, blame network issues & me having to help out a neighbour :/

I recorded three or 4, sitting happily on my hard drive dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Have had to force myself into training for this as well. As my SFIV playtime is somewhat short as of late coupled with the fact I hate training mode I usually NEVER use the bloody thing. Far too sterile and I learn things faster against regular opponents.

But piano into hands is impossible to "learn" in a match. Needs lots of muscle memory and tons of practice.
    Having reached a plateau with Honda, need to get this technique down to progress.
    bush wrote: »
    Aye, ive been in training a lot lately trying to get it down. Im pretty good at doing hondas jab into hands now but cant do blankas jab into electricity. Blankas is a lot harder to combo.

Gens is reported to be the easiest to combo into hands, with the highest frame allowance, followed by Honda with Blanka by far the hardest and most unforgiving with spacing.

Bah, lots more time in bloody training for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

SF3 players can piano like terry tigers his opponents.
    Although its not much use to chun, used to be good for confirming that your super was executed, 3 chances. But with ultras, its obsolete.

Slightly comes in handy for option selects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Pianoing is still really useful on characters with mash moves, it's basically essential for Gen and Honda. Also I'm pretty sure ST players have better pianoing skills than 3S just due to the one frame reversal window of death. :pac:

Also I'd consider Gen's the hardest, once you get to the stage where you're incorporating FADC > mk xx hands after the first one, but before that it isn't that difficult.

yeah but When did people ever purchase sticks to play ST though, stick boom was ps2+ era?
    i would assume its pretty awkward to piano with pad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

ST players would I imagine by and large come from an arcade background so they'd be stick players (did ST even come out on megadrive/snes?)

Jibbo's Gen hands tutorial, such sick execution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&hl=en-GB&v=QQvZV7KOWDA

Placebo wrote: »
    yeah but When did people ever purchase sticks to play ST though, stick boom was ps2+ era?
    i would assume its pretty awkward to piano with pad

I was the proud owner of two arcade sticks for the sega megadrive! Remember, they were better for every game back then, not just fighting games.
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    ST players would I imagine by and large come from an arcade background so they'd be stick players (did ST even come out on megadrive/snes?)

Jibbo's Gen hands tutorial, such sick execution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&hl=en-GB&v=QQvZV7KOWDA

ST never came out for the megadrive. I think not for the SNES either, although if I recall there was an Alpha version.

st = super sf2 turbo?
    mega drive sticks looked like racing car remote controllers :)

st = super sf2 turbo?
    mega drive sticks looked like racing car remote controllers :)

Yes and yes. :)

you think the TE is heavy? The original Sega Megastick was an offensive weapon.

Still looks classy today though I think.

segaMDjoystickArcade14mayo.JPG

doom you should mod that , all you need is

lp, mp, mk.

i better practice my chun vs guile, that final video from RR is shame full :(

• Advertisement

doom you should mod that , all you need is

lp, mp, mk.

i better practice my chun vs guile, that final video from RR is shame full :(

LOL. that'd be awesome :D

For advice I'd say: Moar rushdown. Chun's shafted against Guile at range, and she's my second main so I am well aware of her tricks.

yeah but you dont let me come close with your ex sonic booms and flash kicks and jump throws. CHEATER ;)

we best have some chun vs chun casuals on sat

SF3 players can piano like terry tigers his opponents.
    Although its not much use to chun, used to be good for confirming that your super was executed, 3 chances. But with ultras, its obsolete.

Slightly comes in handy for option selects

Six chances. Negative edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Yyyyyyeeeeesssss network issues...........

only kidding, I actually watched those fights and it was ridiculous. I did however fix the issue today. Turns out our router had a hardware firewall running (only got a new router the other day) and it kills quality of service and was destroying online play. I disabled it and the Doom should be available again on a good connection.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Oh geez... I'm sorry about that man. I should of known when you didn't say right away. You could of PM'd me to let me know. No one should have to admit something like that in public, no one :p

Phish, Pc's are rubbish. Mac all the way. Once you use one, you'll never go back..

(/exception: games)

Guys, ayjay there has decided he must defeat me.

So we made a video or three for you to help him try.

I look forward to him frustrating me immensely.

Here's the first... well, second, the first's still uploading.

LOL HAX CHEAT HAX

just learned your patterns doom, YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

LOL HAX CHEAT HAX

Don't worry, I have special ones, just for you. :)

LOL HAX CHEAT HAX

unfortunately he doesn't really have them..... :( You may take a round, which despite the video I can do.

• Advertisement

i noticed that i usually dont jump in because i fear hes gonna flash kick but thats only the case when hes sitting down to charge, also chun can air throw.

we should all meet up and discuss tactics,
    you got close emmett , closer than i ever got :)

Advertisement