Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know of a UK equivalent of this forum?

• 08-09-2009 5:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a viable Monday-Friday commute:

commute.jpg

What I mean by viable is whether I could expect to do this by car within 2 hours on a regular basis during rush hour.

Anyone know of another forum where I could take this to?

If not, why not have a go yourself if you feel you know enough about this area ;)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

M25 at rush hour? Better you than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can't give you any local knowledge, but on paper it looks nuts - thats 136km each way, the equivalent of commuting to Dublin from Roscrea. Even if you could do it in 2 hours, would you really want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Try the "transport and driving" section on SABRE. SABRE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Thanks, will give it a look.

It's not an exceptionally long communte distance wise by UK standards. It is just that section of the M25 that is the big worry. Would not be doing this commute for too long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The lads on SABRE will know exactly how busy it is. Some of them are professional lorry drivers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

You'll be passing near Heathrow at rush hour. Forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

You'll be passing near Heathrow at rush hour. Forget it.

Yeah I agree was around that area of London for a few weeks during this summer (Ealing) and traffic was awful at peak times at the M4 and M25. Why do people make life hard for themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Lived in London before so a fairly easy question for me. :)

In short, it's not a viable commute for most people. Two hours is pushing it. That looks a lot nicer on a map then it actually is. I reckon you're looking at three hours and above, especially when traffic is heavy on the M25.

You might get away with two and a half on less busy days.

Hope that answers your question.

OK you're not touching the M4, but I used to do the Milton keynes - Reading run occasionally a few years ago.

Most mornings it was stop - go all the way Anti clockwise between M50 & M4 (even with the extra lanes) and in the evening it was always stop - go on the approach to the M1 and for the first 10 miles or so. often 2 - 2 1/2 hours each way.

A colleague used to travel in from Guilford to Milton Keynes and he used to do the "twilight run" to avoid the jams, he left home at 4am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Thanks for all the replies. :)
    used to do the Milton keynes - Reading run occasionally a few years ago.

Most mornings it was stop - go all the way Anti clockwise between M50 & M4 (even with the extra lanes) and in the evening it was always stop - go on the approach to the M1 and for the first 10 miles or so. often 2 - 2 1/2 hours each way.

That's interesting dolan. Have plenty of experience on how much of a nightmare that stretch of the M4 can be from my recent Cardiff-London jaunts. And that commute is I believe roughly 10 miles or so shorter than what I plan, though don't think the A3 is usually as bad.

I have done Godalming - Northampton before on a Sunday early last August - hit major roadworks on M25 clockwise but still did it in around 2h30, so I reckon Bedford is doable, I think...
    A colleague used to travel in from Guilford to Milton Keynes and he used to do the "twilight run" to avoid the jams, he left home at 4am!

Although that scares me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anti clockwise between M50 & M4
    M40?

Victor wrote: »
    M40?

Yep! :o spend too long on that damn M50, double the M25 double the trouble. ;)

Advertisement