Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkwind

• 08-09-2009 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Any Hawkwind fans on here. Hawkwind have never been that big over here considering Stacia was Irish, apart from amongst new age travellers. Going for 40 years, many different sounds, remember them at Stonhenge, they still play Hawkfest, any fans. Love their lyrics. Any bands inflenced by them over here ?

Deathtrap
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtbEmzjUxk&feature=related

In the back of my neck I can feel a strange sensation
    Feels like I'm heading for the crisis of all creation
    Only those with 'death wish' understand my situation
    Feels like Jesus Christ heading for the stations of the cross,
    In my death trap, death trap
    Running in my death trap, death trap
    Chicken running in my death trap, death trap
    Heading for the crossroads of fiery crucifixion
    Lighting up the night sky with bitterness distinction
    While I hold the wheel of fate, smell of burning friction
    I feel like a hero heading for extinction

Ejection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8d7CP6H0ss

There's only one
    course of action
    Left for me to take
    I've tried every
    switch selection
    That might
    control this
    state
    I think for my protection
    I better make it straight
    Into Ejection
    Better tell Base
    Ejection
    That I think it's a case
    For Ejection
    Explode into Space
    Ejection
    Protect my Face
    Ejection

The radar
    screen's
    projection
    Tells me I'm too late
    [ Find more Lyrics on www.mp3lyrics.org/2NI ]
    To make a course correction
    I'm about to meet my fate
    No time for reflection
    I'd better make it straight
    Into Ejection
    Bust through the sky
    Ejection
    The air rushing by
    Ejection
    It's a case of goodbye
    Ejection
    I'm too fast to die
    Ejection

When a ship meets
    with destruction
    The Captain stays to drown
    But no tin contraption
    Is going to drag me down
    My reference intersection
    Tells me that I'm bound
    For Ejection
    Eight times my weight
    Ejection
    I've got to escape
    Ejection
    Only one move to make
    Ejection
    Abandon this crate
    Ejection

Ejection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfHlbGJMps&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I love Hawkwind. I've only started to listen to them in the last while, because a friend got me more into them. Some of my absolute favourite songs at the moment are 'Hassan I Shaba, High Rise, Levitation, Motorway City, Motorhead, Night of the Hawks, Who's Gonna Win the War?, Spirit of the Age, Silver Machine and Quark Strangeness & Charm'.:) I still need to get the six minute version of 'Dust', by I can't find it anywhere.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

First time I listened to Hawkwind I never got it, then I listened on acid at about 20 and it all became clear, love the Bob Calvert stuff the best, saw Nick Turners Hawklords play a while back, wanna go to Hawkfest next yr, wanna take a ride in the silvermachine ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXb_ckgy410

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Saw Hawkwind many times as a lad. Best time was 93/4 on the Electric Teepee tour. Dave Brock, Allen Davey and Richard Chadwick, just the three of them.
    There wasn't that many people at the gig so I got to stand right at the front and just watch them do their thing. As a young musician it was most inspiring. Great band!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Yeah, you gotta love Hawkwind. I always thought they should have been bigger but the music industry probably didn't know how to pigeonhole (market) them properly. Instead they seemed to have got lumped in with the metal/Hard rock scene and that just wasn't right either. Hawkwind managed to plough their own furrow for all these years without compromises to fashion and style - respect.

Having said that, though, their sacking of Lemmy for getting busted for coke was one of the most hypocritical, bullet in foot tales in the history of music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump: Well this thread is old but it was the first I think with Hawkwind as the title. Was just listening to Hawklords 25 Years On album and forgot how amazing it was for its time, a transitional album that sat between the magnificent Quark, Strangness and Charm and the trippy PXR5 album. I went to see Hawkwind at this one day festival called Acid Daze at the Queens Hall in Leeds, Robert Calvert and the Starfighters was one of the acts supporting and it was a spellbinding intense performance from Mr Calvert, little did I know it would be one of his very last gigs in December 12th 1987. By the time of the next Acid Daze at Finsbury Park in London in August 20th, Calvert had passed on. He died in August 14th from heart attack so I am really glad to have witnessed him in action. Here was the lineup for that gig.

Acid Daze 12th December 1987 Queens Hall Leeds.

1: Hawkwind
    2: Doctor And The Medics
    3: The Enid
    4: Suicide
    5: Pink Fairies
    6: Robert Calvert And The Starfighters
    7: Spacemen 3
    8: Tubular Dog

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement