Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddy Kenny gets a large ban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Given that they knew it wasnt for a performance enhancement and probably came from a cold medicine, it seems pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He was stupid to have bought medicine over the counter in this way, when he had no real need to and had been warned (along with everyone else) against doing just that.

However, if the findings of the case are that he didn't intentionally try to cheat; it seems very harsh to ban him for 9 months for what they (the disciplinary panel) are saying was an honest mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He was stupid to have bought medicine over the counter in this way, when he had no real need to and had been warned (along with everyone else) against doing just that.

Not that stupid really, probably had a horrible cold and went over to the pharmacy to get something for it. Ive done it before and lets not forget...

Footballers are stupid!

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Not that stupid really, probably had a horrible cold and went over to the pharmacy to get something for it. Ive done it before and lets not forget...

Footballers are stupid!

Does your job have strict guidelines for drug use? Does your company employ people specifically to help you with any medical issues, no matter how small, so that you do not fall foul of this guidelines? does your company make these guidelines and procedures clear to you? Does your company specifically warn you against buying over the counter medicine for exactly the reason Kenny got in trouble?

If so, then yeah, you buying over the counter meds is exactly the same as Paddy Kenny doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Does your job have strict guidelines for drug use? Does your company employ people specifically to help you with any medical issues, no matter how small, so that you do not fall foul of this guidelines? does your company make these guidelines and procedures clear to you? Does your company specifically warn you against buying over the counter medicine for exactly the reason Kenny got in trouble?

If so, then yeah, you buying over the counter meds is exactly the same as Paddy Kenny doing so.

haha, very true. I think any professional footballer should know better than to buy over the counter drugs, even if its is for a simple cold, he should have advised his club doctor. Even still the 9 months ban is fairly over the top

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »
    haha, very true. I think any professional footballer should know better than to buy over the counter drugs, even if its is for a simple cold, he should have advised his club doctor. Even still the 9 months ban is fairly over the top

I agree - the ban does seem very harsh to me, given they are saying it was a mistake and not done to gain any sort of performance gain, but I can also see that Paddy Kenny was stupid to put himself in this situation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Certainly wasn't diet pills. He'll be delighted with that - can get stuck into some proper eating now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

but I can also see that Paddy Kenny was stupid to put himself in this situation at all.

yep, he should know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i know it was a long time ago in footballing terms, but when you consider Mutu got only 7 months for cocaine, it does seem a ridiculously harsh ban.

still, Paddy's a fair 'oul idiot though for not reading the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

A month for each of his chins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

stupid ban.

poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

wonder can preston sue sheffield united now, seeing as they were beaten by a team who had a player who was using a banned substance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

i know it was a long time ago in footballing terms, but when you consider Mutu got only 7 months for cocaine, it does seem a ridiculously harsh ban.

still, Paddy's a fair 'oul idiot though for not reading the label.

Mutu was hung out to dry!!!

Sacked by his club and about to be sued for 14 million sterling by Chelsea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

He could have got worse so in ways he was lucky it wasn't longer, players need to be more careful about what they put into their body. I am presuming he will appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Absolutely ridiculous. 'We've decided that you haven't cheated, but so what, here's a 9 month band for taking a sup of benelyn.'

As for those who say he was an eejit for doing it. You can drill, and drill this into peoples heads, but honestly, I don't think a guy would start thinking, 'Oh I better not' when it comes to getting a pack of Lemsips. Am I the only one who thinks its the system that needs looking at rather than the cold medicine?

JimiTime wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous. 'We've decided that you haven't cheated, but so what, here's a 9 month band for taking a sup of benelyn.'

As for those who say he was an eejit for doing it. You can drill, and drill this into peoples heads, but honestly, I don't think a guy would start thinking, 'Oh I better not' when it comes to getting a pack of Lemsips. Am I the only one who thinks its the system that needs looking at rather than the cold medicine?

But surely then any time someone gets charged, they can turn around and blame the cough medicine. Players have to be professional, check with their clubs before taking anything. It is a big price to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

angel01 wrote: »
    But surely then any time someone gets charged, they can turn around and blame the cough medicine. Players have to be professional, check with their clubs before taking anything. It is a big price to pay.

Pardon my ignorance, but surely they can tell with some degree of accuracy if it was cold medicine or performance enhancing drugs someone was taking? In this case, they conceeded as much, and still banned him. They are effectively banning him for taking cold medicine, and admitting it.

Pardon my ignorance, but surely they can tell with some degree of accuracy if it was cold medicine or performance enhancing drugs someone was taking?

Yes of course and I do see your point. I think the players need to contact the club prior to taking anything and Paddy Kenny didn't do that. Seemingly that he took above the normal dose as well.
    “Mr Kenny knowingly ingested an over-the-counter medicine above the prescribed dosage without reading the accompanying package or leaflet and without reference to his club’s doctor or other medical staff. To act in the way he did showed, in our judgment, a complete disregard for those responsibilities.”

just been announced that his appeal has been turned down.

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

What's the difference in what he did and Cannevaro, who got away scot free because he is a big name player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    What's the difference in what he did and Cannevaro, who got away scot free because he is a big name player

Cannavaro's done much more above board, all proper documentation submitted just after the medication was administered, the only question with him came about because the documentation was only sent to one authority, the other authority requested to see it, were shown it and the case was over.

Kenny on the other hand was actually caught in a drug test, having not submitted anything at the time he actually took the medicine.

Still harsh on Kenny, though if there is a procedure to follow when a player takes banned substances, they have to adhere to this instead of hoping they don't get tested i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Fuhrer wrote: »

Footballers are stupid!

I wonder was the pharmacist a Sheffield Wednesday supporter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Pardon my ignorance, but surely they can tell with some degree of accuracy if it was cold medicine or performance enhancing drugs someone was taking? In this case, they conceeded as much, and still banned him. They are effectively banning him for taking cold medicine, and admitting it.

Various non performance enhancing drugs(eg some cold medicines etc) are/can be taken to mask/hide performance enhancing drugs in the body, thats why they are also banned!

He knows this
    Feel sorry for him but he is clearly in wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Jimmyboss wrote: »

massive difference if you bother to read up on it

nothing whatsoever to do with a big name

Advertisement