Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to put in my kong toy?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭

I was reading a thread the other day where people were using the kong toys and I thought my staffie would love one.

I was looking online and people were saying to freeze them and so on.

Please excuse my ignorance but is it literally that you just stuff the hole in the middle with the treats. Also how do you clean them and do they mess up the house?

Also I would love to know what people actually fill them with. I had read peanut butter which my dog loves but anything else?

How long do you frezze them for or do you really freeze them?
    Sorry for all the questions!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

most dogs love peanut butter which is why most ppl suggest it. there are kong sprays that basically look like spray cheese in a can! they come in different flavours (mint, puppy(for puppies!! not puppy flavour!!), peanut butter, chicken, beef) or there are kong biscuits that you put in there as well. to be honest i put in a multitude of stuff! if your using wet dog food (which i dont recommend) you can put that in, any existing treats you have. etc. i dont find kongs to be messy cos its hard to take the stuff out if your a dog so he is cleaning any mess while he is playing with it! They are made of durable rubber so the are easy enough to rinse out when your dog has had enough.
    if your dog is a power chewer i suggest splashing out and getting the black extreme kong as it does last a bit long than the normal red rubber ones and dont even bother looking at the teething kongs unless its a puppy!

also some people freeze them especially if the food has a tendency to fall out but i dont bother, just use something sticky like the sprays, wet dog food, peanut butter or pate(even the cheap sandwich stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Thanks Chiaki

Do you freeze yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

I would usually pop it in the freezer the night before & leave it out about an hour before giving it to my pooch. I wouldd usually put some wet dog food in it or some left over rice & gravy. They can be put in the dishwasher to clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I use a mixture of something soft and some of their dry food(taken from daily allowance).
    Mashed spuds and veg, sardines or similar fish in olive oil, bit of left over stew or casserole, even cottage cheese occasionally.
    The soft food should be just enough to hold the dry stuff in, mix it together first in a bowl then stuff it in, and I freeze them sometimes for teething pups or if its hot or I'll be out a while.
    They are very easy clean(not that there's much to clean when dogs are finished:D), just leave in hot soapy water for few mins and rinse.
    I also have the ball you put the dry food into, they have to roll it around and the nuts fall out one or two at a time. Just make sure size of the opening is right for the nuts.
    My dogs love them and the older fella brings the kongs to me if he hasn't had one for a couple of days, we use them as toys empty to as they bounce great!

When I make curry or chilli from scratch I put a bit of that in too as my two love spicey food, but that's just their breeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Id stay clear of loading it up with treats all the time as treats aint the healthiest thing. Your dog/puppy will want to eat whatever is in it anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

As a treat, I squish a Galtee single into the small Kong and pop it into the fridge for a while to firm up before giving it to my pup. Generally, the dog is so absorbed with lying down and getting at the treat, they don't cause any mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We have a couple of different Kongs - the regurlar roundy one and also a puppy activity ball with ridges on the outside. Yesterday evening I put just 3 strands of grated cheese into 3 of the ridges - the pup was at it for AGES trying to get it out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If anyone wants to hear a funny story about Kongs, this is what happened with one on my mate's blog. Hil-arious.

http://violacharlie.blogspot.com/2008/10/kong-debacle.html

oops! ;D LOL they must have been a bit freaked out! :D

Ok I bought a couple of different Kongs online last night so I will have them in a couple of days.

I cannot wait to see what my dog makes of them.

I will post a picture after I try them.

• Advertisement

BIG MISTAKE this morning - I squished a cheese triangle onto a kong for the puppy..with explosive consequences - in the house cos he didn't make it to the back door! DOH!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning. It is due to arrive today I think so I'll steer clear of the cheese in the mornings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

our dog discovered if she flings it hard enough at the ground she can spill out the contents far easier than chewing it!!
    So in answer to is it messy.......yep!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I belive www.kongcompany.com have lots of Kong stuffing recepies.In fact i think someome has published a book on the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

kongs are such a good invention, my dog used to take an hour or two to get the treat out, without taking a break. But then he wised up and walked to the stop of the stairs, turned around and let go. Thud, thud, thud , thud, then he cleaned up the mess. I used the kong biscuts. Now I use the foam / spray. Good luck getting that out mate!!

Hi OP here

I got the toys but my dog actually ate both the toy and the goodies inside!

I think he thought when he could smell the goodies that it was all edible :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wexford202 wrote: »
    Hi OP here

I got the toys but my dog actually ate both the toy and the goodies inside!

LOL!! Maybe you need to get a stronger Kong!! :D The new fav in our house is slices of carrot in the Kong

I have just resorted to giving him a stick in the evening which he turns to sawdust.

The joys of owning a staffie.:rolleyes:

Nylabones are pretty good OP and will save on your kindling costs when winter comes! :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Nylabones are pretty good OP and will save on your kindling costs when winter comes! :)

Worth a try anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I think the special Kong food is way overpriced, and peanutbutter has refined sugar in it, and thats not great for many dogs. We use cheap tesco paté, it's very cheap, it's 26p in the UK for a packet that lasts three or four refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wexford202, There's a black kong for strong chewers, meant to be a bit tougher. Also when I first used them I held the kong and let the dog try to lick the food out before giving it to him.
    My two also fling the kongs around if they can't get the food out, but they do lick the walls/floor/cupboards clean after.

mymo wrote: »
    Wexford202, There's a black kong for strong chewers, meant to be a bit tougher. Also when I first used them I held the kong and let the dog try to lick the food out before giving it to him.
    My two also fling the kongs around if they can't get the food out, but they do lick the walls/floor/cupboards clean after.
    I might look for the stronger one.

I held it for him and he did understand but as soon as my back is turned he will start eating the actual toy again!

Maybe get a black king kong- holds more food and is very durable.
    also the 'boomer ball' food/treat dispensing ball is great as an environmental enrichment activity.available at www.zooplus.ie
    The 'jolly ball' the style without the handle is a great toy. about the size of a basketball and is puncture resistent.fun toy for horses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi guys,
    Has anyone tried a Kong with a cat? My cat is a real grazer- rarely eats one big meal- and I'd like to know if anyone has experience with using them with cats.

You might check out the 'tricky treat ball' size small. Will find it on www.jbpet.com. American website- they are not available in ireland.
    It's a food dispensing ball, about the size of a tennis ball but lighter.
    Only suitable for dry food though.
    Can fit a whole meal in there and great enrichment toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I tend to give at least half of my dogs daily ration of kibble in kongs and other stuffable toys. I like to put a small bit of a treat in each to keep him interested, liver, cheese, bits of chicken skin. With the classic kong I find it works really well to smear some cheap chicken liver pate right at the top and then fill it with the kibble. He spends absolutely ages at it. Another toy I've found works really well is

http://leerburg.com/797.htm

available from zooplus website.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

my weim is loving carrots at the moment and ive been stuffing her kong with slices and batons - shes getting smart though and throws it around to get them out. carrots are great for them, the crunch keeps her teeth clean and nice bit of veg added to her diet.
    that tesco paste stuff is great too, dont know any human that would eat it!
    i tried laughing cow cheese but it gave her the runs...

Advertisement