Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback thread - Nature and birdwatching forum

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

another topic; is there scope for a thread where people can post upcoming nature events?
    e.g. the DNFC have one site for their events, i get the irish wildlife trust event updates on facebook, etc., but it might be good to have a thread here where people can post on upcoming events for the attention of others who may not see them?
    This is the the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

Mothman wrote: »
    Here's an issue that has just arisen and I'd like this communities feelings on whether to tolerate requests such as ID of shot or hunted animals. Use this thread for reference, but please discuss in general terms.

My feeling is that this forum is the path for many sectors of our society. Farmers, hunters, conservationists, nature lovers etc. Also the forum is part of a much wider community that is Boards.ie

With regard to an animal identification, I believe this is the place on boards with the most knowledgeable folk with regard to animal identification. However when the animal has been shot etc I can understand that this will be an issue with many of you. So as a Mod here, I try to oversee the forum that serves the community here but it is also part of the wider boards.ie network.

We have a simple and basic charter here. I have not touched it and I have no desire to amend it, hence there is nothing in charter preventing such ID requests and I think it comes under the umbrella of Nature and Birdwatching forum. In my time here I don't recollect a similar request, so in this sense it is a once off and I'm happy to tolerate it.

But I will listen to what is said here...

:)
    I read forums on boards .i.e. a while before ever deciding to take part, it’s the internet the good & bad of cyber communication, across the globe & possibly beyond .We take part because we choose to do so,.
    Personally I wouldn’t want to only read & post with others who only have the self same views as myself, I like to read many things, some posts I agree with & others I don’t but I like the variety of knowledge, curiosity & learning experiences that posters can share I don’t think it should become a political battleground but I do believe in people being individuals with minds of there own.
    The forum is called Nature & bird watching & I think nature is a very broad subject that includes many other ways of life across a broad-spectrum. If this forum is going to change & become bird watching & anti ****[whatever] only then perhaps it should say so on the label & rules etc,

The photos I don’t find offensive or disturbing but I think its strange that a reasonable photograph of shot birds should need a warning when a picture of road kill or trapped & poisoned creatures doesn’t!!!.

The images of shot birds if presented well shouldn’t cause the viewer any more distress than road kill/poisoning etc , unless it’s the fact that they are shot ? A good market or game dealers/butchers can have on open display much game in its coat/feather perhaps some find that offensive but its not why its on open display, if the intent of a photo is to cause distress then action is required,, in the photos we are talking about I think it’s a genuine question of seeking help on identification & nothing more.
    Perhaps any photos containing dead creatures via shooting, or trapping etc should contain a warning & not simply because the subject is the result of shooting. Personally I would say feargal gives very good identification on the birds that are posted & the discussion of trying to clearly establish what the bird was I think shows the interest & information that can be exchanged if its permitted. Surely a forum is about debate/discussion & exchanging of views & news etc, provided people are not trying to deliberately offend others & that they behave in a civil manner when conflict occurs then to my mind not much else could be asked for:cool:

As a mod here I believe it reasonable to add warning about content to avoid unecessary upset. There are many here who don't like shooting. We have a recent thread about shooting of birds in Malta.
    But this is also not the forum and this is not the thread to have a anti shooting vs shooting debate. There is no end and I won't tolerate it.

Regardless of ones opinion, the pictures did cause upset. I believe that the birds being shot contributed to this. It wasn't the graphic nature of the images but the subject. I don't believe for a moment that they were posted to offend. If I thought that, the thread would have been deleted.

In my mind the issue is closed. I raised it for feedback. This I have got and in future I will add warning or move threads as I see fit.

If anyone has issue with what I've said or with actions I've taken, please pm me about it. I would like to have the matter closed here in feedback thread despite recent posts prompting further replies.

I have added something to our charter :eek:
    I like simple charters but considering the family nature of this forum, and the apparant increase in the use of inappropriate language here, which is generally tolerated throughout boards, I felt the need to add to the charter.

I'm not going to go into detail what's in or out. We all have different boundaries and what is fine for one may not be for some one else and I like to think we are as inclusive here as possible. Common sense mainly dictates matters, but if you see something edited out then you understand the motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have we already lost a member to this? Sure seems that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

whyulittle wrote: »
    Have we already lost a member to this? Sure seems that way.

If anyone has been lost from the forum lately then it's by their own choice.
    People come and go.......

This is not about any individual member, but about parents expressing to me their concern disgust with regard to some of the language they've encountered here while reading with their children.

I believe that their expectation to have a "clean" site is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

As a parent myself, and indeed on my own behalf, I thank you for taking this stand. I don't enjoy reading any of the bad language, abbreviations, asterisks, symbols, etc. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

should we have a thread specifically for ID ing? not sure if you have discussed it before but I never know what thread to put my ID request pics in or if i should start a new thread for them.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ppink wrote: »
    should we have a thread specifically for ID ing? not sure if you have discussed it before but I never know what thread to put my ID request pics in or if i should start a new thread for them.:)

That was raised before (before my time;) ) and the conclusion was that it would end up being too messy e.g with a few pics in one thread for id'ing and a few people responding to different pics.

Having its own thread leaves it open for further discussion, and once the identify is confirmed we can change the title or merge it with an existing thread on that topic if there is one.
    If you really don't want to start a new thread you could put it in the photos thread and then if it ends up generating discussion and is more than Q/A (or gets overlooked) we would move it to its own thread :)

Advertisement