Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably changing ISP - Recommendations?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

I've been a U.TV customer since my exchange became enabled in January. I've always liked the service. Decent pings and download speeds etc. Only in the last 7 weeks has the service declined in the evenings and peak times so that the connection is really bad. Through the day the connection is great. Attached is the screenshot..

I've lodged an official complaint with comreg over the issue as each time the fault is logged its rejected as "no problem". Happened about 4 times now. When I say the connection goes crap, it goes to about 0.5 mb with pings of 480-600 with timeouts even.

Looking at the alternatives Vodafone seem to be the most competitively priced with a decent cap and upload speed. 52 euro for 7.6 including line rental and calls. Digiweb offer 12mb bitstream offering but its really expensive and doesnt include line rental or calls :O. Any recommendations?

I'm going to give it another 10 days to see if it resolves itself. Hopefully with comreg involved it will poke some people into action...

X

Just to add... I dont live in an area where cable or magnet or smart telecom are available... (smart offer bitstream service but its ****e compared to other offerings )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Vodafone @ Home(BT)

They have 7mb with offpeak package for €48

Or 7mb Broadband Only(line rental included) for €49

1:24 ratio

The same but with 3mb and a 1:48 ratio is €40(both packages)

Its €49(3Mb) and €52(7Mb) for the Anytime packages

I'm switching from Eircom(as soon as my contract finishes), I pay €60+ for 7Mb. If you have Vodafone Bill(mobile) too you get an xtra 10% of your bill.

So

48 - 4.80 = 43.20

43.20 + 19.09 = 62.29

I currently pay €20 to 3.

So in the end, I'm saving nearly €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Vodafone @ Home(BT)

They have 7mb with offpeak package for €48

Or 7mb Broadband Only(line rental included) for €49

1:24 ratio

The same but with 3mb and a 1:48 ratio is €40(both packages)

Its €49(3Mb) and €52(7Mb) for the Anytime packages

I'm switching from Eircom(as soon as my contract finishes), I pay €60+ for 7Mb. If you have Vodafone Bill(mobile) too you get an xtra 10% of your bill.

So

48 - 4.80 = 43.20

43.20 + 19.09 = 62.29

I currently pay €20 to 3.

So in the end, I'm saving nearly €20.

Yeah vodafone looks the best price wise. The only thing with UTV is their 7.6 is 12:1 contention. But that means nothing when the service is sh*t all evening.

I wonder why there are not more companies offering 12mb? Only Digiweb?

I thought Smart would have this bitstream offering but they are actually worse than Vodafone since their 7.6 is only 384 upload which is half BT/UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Xcellor wrote: »
    The only thing with UTV is their 7.6 is 12:1 contention.
    It is?

EDIT: Holy sh*t, it is.

I don't like UTV. I'm with them, but I know someone else's BT login details, so I use that. Essentially, I pay UTV, but am on BT's infrastructure with a BT IP. The main reason why, is because UTV's latency is usually worse off than the rest and their QoS, especially in the evenings, is diabolical. BT isn't great either, but given the choice, I know what I'd use. If I had the money, I'd go with Eircom, because they are usually better. However, it all depends on where you live and the server load in the evenings. Therefore, would going with Eircom cure you problem? It's 50-50. I'm afraid we're stuck with the crappy bitstream service until UPC comes to our areas, or our exchange is upgraded to LLU2 standards by Smart or BT.

Sorry, it's dull, but you're not alone. Most of the country has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

How good is vodafone home broadband? download? I am currently on BT and it's worst then anything. I am vodafone paymonthly customer so do I get any discount if I move from BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    How good is vodafone home broadband? download? I am currently on BT and it's worst then anything. I am vodafone paymonthly customer so do I get any discount if I move from BT?
    Vodafone wrote:
    Save an extra 10% as a Vodafone Pay Monthly customer

Vodafone Pay Monthly customers save an additional 10% - that's a saving of 30% on eircom's equivalent landline and fixed broadband packages.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?ts=1252412398870

As for BT, they are selling their residential accounts over to Vodafone, as they are pulling out of the market to concentrate on upgrading infrastructure, which is where their money is made. One way or another, you will be Vodafone in the near future.

Are they better than BT? No idea. Probably not. At the end of the day it all depends on the exchange server and bandwidth load, and what users of your ISP are on and their activity. No matter what bitstream package you get, though, it all originates with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

DECEiFER wrote: »
    http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?ts=1252412398870

As for BT, they are selling their residential accounts over to Vodafone, as they are pulling out of the market to concentrate on upgrading infrastructure, which is where their money is made. One way or another, you will be Vodafone in the near future.

Are they better than BT? No idea. Probably not. At the end of the day it all depends on the exchange server and bandwidth load, and what users of your ISP are on and their activity. No matter what bitstream package you get, though, it all originates with Eircom.

Switched from Airwave to Vodafone 7mB package recently - very happy with the service (took a long time to process though as I switched my landline from Eircom - over 4 weeks). The free supplied modem - (BeWan) works fine despite my initial misgivings, so all in all very happy with Vodafone and would recommend it.

Advertisement