Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Digital HD V SKY?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Qualitywise, how does Chorus HD Digital compare with SKY?

I had Chorus Digital a few years back (Caherdavin) and the picture quality was poor even with everything set up properly.
    Someone told me it was a technical issue......compression of signals or something like that. RTE was 'ghosting' as were a few other channels at that time.

Anyway, I'm kind of interested in the Chrous HD TV plus broadband and landline package but the TV pictures would want to be as good as SKY before I'd consider changing.

Has Chorus Digital's TV service caught up with the quality level of Sky's signal in the past few years? Any Northside customers? Is their broadband reliable?

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

cant speak for their broadband but Chorus picture doesn't break up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The guys over in the Cable & Digital TV forum would have a good knowledge of the various satellite providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Large thread on the subject here, generally accepted the SD and HD channels have excellent definition.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055602816

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

You cant get the sports channels in HD on Chorus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Sky has 33 HD channels for an extra €14.75 a month.

UPC has 9 I beleive....one of which is a free channel...

No contest Sky wins out everytime....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Sky all the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

is the fee for having sky installed the same no matter where you go to take out the contract ? What is best alternative for basic usual channels, plus sport ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge .....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dobh wrote: »
    is the fee for having sky installed the same no matter where you go to take out the contract ? What is best alternative for basic usual channels, plus sport ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge .....

You can get more details here on the different packages:

www.upc.ie
    http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Its the same price no matter where u go..

Im an installer in Limerick area..

Latest deal on HD is

€49 for the box
    €50 for the install...
    + €37.50 if u dont want it connected to a telephone line for first 12 months

Basic sky package starts at €21.50 raising to €71 depending on channels required. This increased by €14.75 for hd channel lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

avoid chorus by all means stick with sky digital. better quality
    my chorus hd keeps freezing and it messed up my broadband the technician caused the problem.heres the problem
    ive had chorus hd back now for around 5 weeks and im now going to a solicitor to pull out of the contract.the tv keeps freezing and the internet keeps going down.the technician who put the hd box in cut the wire to the internet box .so i called the tech support and waited on the phone for half an hour for someone to answer.when the did answer they said theyd send the same gobshi&3 to fix itwhen he got her he claimed he never cut the net wire and that hed be back the next day that was a week ago.ive sent an email explaining that a solictor is going to be used i never even got an automated response back
    chorus cant compare themselves with sky digital theres no comparison sky has way better quality and more channels and the tech support is way better.i:
    chorus might say there hd is as good as skys but there of there rockers if they think that
    chorus has got a bad name and its only getting worse :mad:
    im pi$$ed of with the whole thing.if it goes to court il know il get out of the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Worked in Chorus for three years and had their mmds digital service during that time.

Sky still beats the socks off them. Sad but true.

Advertisement