Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Drive

• 08-09-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I need to buy an external drive to back up my images before my
    current HD goes wollop. I'm looking about 1TB, has anyone got any recommendations?

Burnt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you can afford it, go for Drobo.
    Otherwise WD drives from Komplett are my safe bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

agree with thOnda.WD hard driver are great.no problems with them so far,possibly get them on pixmania also,i got mine on komplette too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Easons are doing one at present 1 TB USB Seagate for €89. I picked one up assuming they were cheap and nasty and they are. Initial thoughts is that they are sloowwwwwwwer than expected but i've no scientific measure to back that up. As a dunping ground for backup they do the job (I guess) but i'm a very nervous person now as if when it does go wallup and it will at some stage then i've an awful amount of my personal time gone into its contents which will be lost.

The only reason I got the seagate 1TB was I have a problem burning DVD's at present and absolutely needed something. I'm of the mind that you should backup as you go to DVD's and while they aren't perfect, you will find that if one breaks or becomes unusable at least you lose far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 W1ct0ry

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420463

I have this, it works great.

If you want to put files over 4 gigs on it, make sure to format to NTFS before you start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

W1ct0ry wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420463

I have this, it works great.

If you want to put files over 4 gigs on it, make sure to format to NTFS before you start.

or just don't use a file system that's limited like fat32.

sorry irks me a little as your post implies that ntfs is the only filesystem that can handle files over 4gig's in size. you can guess who done a dissertation on filesystems in college can't ya :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 W1ct0ry

or just don't use a file system that's limited like fat32.

sorry irks me a little as your post implies that ntfs is the only filesystem that can handle files over 4gig's in size. you can guess who done a dissertation on filesystems in college can't ya :D.

Fair enough :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Be sure to make sure that the hard drive has a spindle speed of 7,200rpm....many are 5,400rpm and are much too slow. I'm using a Seagate F1 7200rpm 1TB drive that I bought seperate and put it into an existing SATA external HDD case that I'd laying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Could always try ebuyer.com? i dont know if it would work out cheaper with the over seas postage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Burnt wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I need to buy an external drive to back up my images before my
    current HD goes wollop. I'm looking about 1TB, has anyone got any recommendations?

Burnt
    I did my research. I wanted a 1TB with firewire, USB & SATA connections. The cheapest place is Apple website. It's priced for €139 , it's a WD. I knew a guy inside & I got it for €126. Apple always have top of the range 3rd party stuff on it's site. Just login to the Irish store. It's for Macs & Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Cheers Guys,

the Drobo while an object of desire; will have to wait, WD it is.

Burnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

No idea what your budget is like but why not look into something like this http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-2tb-my-book-world-edition-ii-5GTW.html?refs=52020000-50473. It would save on the whole idea of having to back up to either another external drive or DVD's. It has Raid 1 Technology so it mirrors the drive. If a drive fails you swap out the drive and replace it with a new one. The only time you are in deep do-do is if both drives fail. that then raises the question how many times do you need to back up?

Oh plus this can be added to your wireless network, assuming you have one of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

wasper wrote: »
    I did my research. I wanted a 1TB with firewire, USB & SATA connections. The cheapest place is Apple website. It's priced for €139 , it's a WD. I knew a guy inside & I got it for €126. Apple always have top of the range 3rd party stuff on it's site. Just login to the Irish store. It's for Macs & Win.

If you are a student you get a 10% discount. Of course if you're not, you could be buying one on their behalf and still avail of the discount (as long as there's a student somewhere in the family!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    No idea what your budget is like but why not look into something like this http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-2tb-my-book-world-edition-ii-5GTW.html?refs=52020000-50473. It would save on the whole idea of having to back up to either another external drive or DVD's. It has Raid 1 Technology so it mirrors the drive. If a drive fails you swap out the drive and replace it with a new one. The only time you are in deep do-do is if both drives fail. that then raises the question how many times do you need to back up?

Oh plus this can be added to your wireless network, assuming you have one of course.

Thats the way to go for sure, I have a 2 by 1 terrabyte Verbatim drive configured in Raid 1. Super reliability.
    My WD book failed after a year and I lost 320 gigs of photos, sent it to a recovery few places but no one could recover any files.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

My WD 1TB (the Hard Drive is only half of a year old) died last Monday, and I got all the images off to drive, as the motherboard on the drive died, when I took the 1TB to a data restore comp in Dublin.... I have now 3 x 1 TB drives to back up all my images..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Buy a caddy with Esata and get a 1tb Samsung drive. I use them .. the 32mb cache ones. Super drives.
    Wouldnt trust a wd if my life depended on it. Lost too much stuff over the years with them failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I've had drives from most of the majpor manufacturers die on me over the years. The bottom line is that if you don't have your data in at least two places (I'd recommend 3 - two local and one off-site) you better be OK with the fact that it might be gone tomorrow. Most (myself included) seem to learn this the hard way :/

Advertisement