Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Char Pedigree bulls?

• 08-09-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Started dabblin a bit in pedigree charolais. Ive a heifer and a cow to calf around xmas. Bought the cow with calf at foot, weaning him now (dob Oct08) and just wondering is it worth halter training him or should I just sell him out of the shed as is in the spring?

He is well bred and should turn into a nice animal.

All comments/suggestions welcome, thanks!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

gd man..
    i'd say u can halter train him..ring him,then put a rope on nose, tie him up in a crush every few days..ease him in..is he quiet at mo? are a quiet breed!!
    depends are you go to sell him at a local mart/private/or carrick on shannon???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

how does he score on ICBF, there seems to be alot of lads breeding a few pedigree cattle now, would like to try it myself sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Scoring is another issue. You have to have over five animals before scorer will come out to you and all animals have to be in around the same age, and less than 8mths I think :mad: I want to keep things small and manageable so I'm content to leave it at just 2 breeding animals. I'm not out to make a fortune, just an interest and keep a bit of money together.

He'd def score high tho as his mother has gud figures (Major in ped). Alot would argue that scoring isn't everything either as alot of buyers would still judge an animal on how he looks, rather than figures. The star rating I think is a bit iffy aswel, as unless the reliability score is high (as with the majority of AI bulls), you might aswel pay no heed to it (wel that's my opinion anyway)

Ya he's quiet so I think I'I get a gud halter and try training him. Regarding nose ring, could I just use removable one with the spring or should I put a permanent one on him? When is best time to do it (age wise)? I know there are different sizes!

As I say I'm only new to the whole thing and learning as I go along. Seems to be alot of politics involved aswel (as with most things) and the same breeders seem to make good prices at sales/win top prizes at shows, where small breeder with same type animal might not do aswel.

Anyhow keep the suggestions/info coming guys, thanks!

your probably right about the score but its a part of it now right or wrong and i suppose buyers look at it, was looking at the charolais society site today and i see there is a dispersal sale of a nice looking herd on the 19 in Tullamore, wouldnt mind buying an in calf heifer, wonder what kinda money they would make.

http://www.mulroogpedigreecharolais.com/
    seen that..looks to hav gd stock, great breeding!
    say a gd charolais incalf heifer set u back €2-3k no?
    prob better value with the cows

• Advertisement

ya seems like some set up, shame to have to sell herd like that..will you explain this embryo flushing thing wiggy

try to explain what i know of it 2mrrw..
    days work is done..in since 8
    chat again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

wiggy123 wrote: »
    try to explain what i know of it 2mrrw..
    days work is done..in since 8
    chat again
    Wiggy your text talk is doing my head in. Isn't there a rule here that you can't write in text.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wiggy your text talk is doing my head in. Isn't there a rule here that you can't write in text.
    ..ah Sam get with it, Dude !!

sorry Sam..i would agree, its annoying! just a habit--bad one at that...
    will improve...

embryo flushing from my take on things, correct me if wrong!
    is they take eggs from a cow(a top cow)from what i gather they could get up to 8-10 from a cow...
    from that,you would get mayb half of them gd..fertile!they then use semen of top bulls,ur choice!
    they mate the 2 of them-thus embryo is formed, this can then be transferred into a commerical(receiptent)heifer/cow! there is procedures for doing this-ie drugs!to be giving to the donor+receiptent! all going well-out of say 5 embryos-you could get 3 calves on the ground-all same breeding!
    i think a cow can be flushed for eggs numerous times a year-when shes cycling!
    they do alot of this with the BB cattle
    helps ease of calving for top BB calves,etc..
    is a great job-think you can get them sexed now--dairy side anyway!coming into beef breeding also..
    man playing with nature again...

that i think is it!

• Advertisement

thanks for the info wiggy,
    I thought there might be better value in the younger stock rather than the proven cows, I suppose even in these times there will be plenty of go in good pedigree cattle

welcome
    true..there might be gd value in them!
    but i personally think a cow be a safer bet--firstly you can see her progency at the sale(for that dispersal sale)
    know her history etc..say a cow of 5 or 6yrs--get 4+ good years out of her!
    depends on the day-how they go..could be cheap or dear..as cattle are back at mo! but then again-men are buying better cows for breeding-alot of men using pedigrees for there commerical herds-better calves!

Advertisement