Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Irish land mammal?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

We all have a soft spot for one animal in particular; what's yours?

What is your favourite Irish land mammal? 44 votes

Badger
    0%
    Fox
    15%
    HarryDamerdenAmtmanncowzerpKess73roweeeeenaPirateShampoo 7 votes
    Hare
    18%
    Black SwancottonHogzyMorgannaWeidiileddpipeAidanBolandfryup 8 votes
    Hedgehog
    6%
    BryanLstevomanDusty87 3 votes
    Otter
    22%
    tony 2 tonedoctor evilDiageio_ManartieannaThe Pawsyknaamarlin vsJudgement Daybye byespanner1 10 votes
    Stoat
    15%
    bonelessytpe2r5bxkn0c1Day Lewinfoxshooter243Cul a cnoicSilversudzwgsten 7 votes
    Pygmy Shrew
    9%
    RoenKaldornjimmyzxwho the fug 4 votes
    Red Deer
    4%
    dlofnepmellickricky 2 votes
    Pine Marten
    4%
    jwshooterConnacht 2 votes
    Rabbit
    2%
    Birdnuts 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Hedgehog
    i actaully hava a soft spot for the irish hare. a creature of great beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Otter
    The poor old Hedgehog - rarely seen except as roadkill. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Fox
    stevoman wrote: »
    i actaully hava a soft spot for the irish hare. a creature of great beauty.

A creature of great strength and grace alright. I hadn't seen one for years until last April when I encountered two on a country road west of Cullahill in County Laois.

The poor hedgehog is a tenacious animal too. I found a wounded one once (hit by a car I think), brought it to the vet and helped it to recover. After a few weeks the little guy was well again. I very seldom see them these days though - except, as Judgement Day pointed out, when they're dead on the roadside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

For me it comes down to Red Squirrel or Otter, but the former is not included in the poll unless up a tree means not land ;)

Otter regularly pass through the garden and Red Squirrel are a part of my youth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Fox
    Mothman wrote: »
    For me it comes down to Red Squirrel or Otter, but the former is not included in the poll unless up a tree means not land ;)

Otter regularly pass through the garden and Red Squirrel are a part of my youth

I forgot the Red Squirrel :o
    I thought I'd dealt with arboreal mammals with Pine Marten, but I still had the letter 'r' in mind, so I put down rabbit even though it's not native.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Otter
    I love Hedgehogs!
    We had a small one in our garden years ago...it seems to stay over night in a quiet corner and then goes off again the next day!:rolleyes:
    They are interesting creature to paint....

If I am allowed to include one more...badgers!!..I love their nose for some reason! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Hedgehog
    I chose hare aswell. Simply because of a childhood experience. I was about 6 or 7 and playing in the back garden when when jumped from the ditch, running by me. Took the heart out of me. It was big too, with huge back legs. Probably seemed a lot bigger than it was:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Otter
    No bats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Rabbit
    I was torn between Pine Martin and Hare:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hare
    Kerry Fox!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bye bye

Otter
    ah the good oul hedgehog would be mine

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Pine Marten
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the full list of native Irish land mammals - there are 22 :
    Red Deer
    Fox
    Badger
    Pine Martin
    Stoat
    Irish Hare
    Bats x 10
    Mouse x 2
    Pygmy Shrew
    Otter
    Red Squirrel
    Hedgehog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stoat
    It's always dangerous to start debating what animals count under certain groups, as people never agree. The list of 22 is widly accepted but what do we exclude? Those clearly introduced certainly (Mink etc) but what about the likes of the Greater White Toothed Shrew? It seems to have found it's own way here. Do we draw the line at mammals who made their way here within a few years of the last ice age?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Should the brown rat be on that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Pine Marten
    Lads, I agree with you completely. I only gave the list because, as Srameen indicates, it is the widely accepted list. But, yes, others could be added. Rats probably made "their own way" here by joining ships which were carying grain, etc.
    Fallow deer have been here for over 400 years - but were brought in.
    I've partaken in long chats about what's 'local' or not and what's 'native' or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Pygmy Shrew
    I thought the rabbit was a Norman addition but that the hare was native.
    Can anyone expand on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

i like them all but i'll say otter.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Roen wrote: »
    I thought the rabbit was a Norman addition but that the hare was native.
    Can anyone expand on this?
    Yes that is correct. No rabbits before the Normans. Irish Hares are a native subspecies of the Blue Hare which is resident in Scotland. Brown Hares have been introduced in Northern Ireland some time ago. I'm not sure how wide they've spread.

stevensi wrote: »
    Should the brown rat be on that list?
    nope

Connacht wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the full list of native Irish land mammals - there are 22 :
    Red Deer
    Fox
    Badger
    Pine Martin
    Stoat
    Irish Hare
    Bats x 10
    Mouse x 2
    Pygmy Shrew
    Otter
    Red Squirrel
    Hedgehog
    I'd say this is accurate. Except for mouse x2. Field mouse most likely native. House mouse, possibly not.

• Advertisement

And for the record, Pine Marten. But still haven't seen one yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Otter
    jeez it was hard to decide....poor oul hedgehog won out in the end....I remember rearing one when I was a kid.. and I saw three over the past months one last saturday evening. Gaud they are cuties..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Red Deer
    Pygmy Shrew or hedgehog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Hedgehog
    artieanna wrote: »
    jeez it was hard to decide....poor oul hedgehog won out in the end....I remember rearing one when I was a kid.. and I saw three over the past months one last saturday evening. Gaud they are cuties..

Havn seen a live one myself in years. I remember as a child they used to come up to the back door at night. Sniffing out the dog bowl. Dont know why i never see them anymore, the area hasn changed in regards to their habitat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Stoat
    It has to be the otter for me. Any animal that makes a slide on a muddy riverbank just for the fun of it is my type of creature!

Advertisement