Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we do something about it?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm Irish and now live in the UK, have lived here for 6 years. I bought a house in Ireland as an "investment" in 2007 and it's now worth alot less than what I paid for it! I don't own another home and pay rent in the UK like anyone else. I also had to pay €10000 Stamp Duty at the time. These Tax suggestions are the icing on the cake if you ask me!!

I manage to get back to Ireland every 6 weeks or so and can't believe how much people are moaning and doing nothing about it!

Everytime I go back the moaning gets worse and worse but all I hear is people on Joe Duffy and Pat Kenny moaning and not taking matters into their own hands. In the UK, there isn't really that much people power but when things go wrong like fuel increases, MP expense scandals, the people call for something to be done about it! And it gets done! Whether it's the media have more influence or not I don't know!

My qestion is why does this not happen in Ireland?? More and more people are emigrating/unemployed every week and there's fewer people able to afford to live not to mind paying more in taxes!

I understand that the country has to get the money back somehow for the debts that this ridiculous government has brought us into but are we just going to moan and moan and take it?? And then when they do implement these tax changes......moan some more, and not be proactive??!

I have no political background so wouldn't know where to start but we need someone to stand up to this current government and ask the people what they want!!

We are being screwed over as a nation and we need to do something about it........NOW!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As somebody who's also Irish , lives in UK and often thinks about returning home, I would be intrested in hearing people views and opinions on this to .

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

This was just discussed on newstalk by Eddie Hobbs

The developers avoided stamp duty by using "power of attorney" - and this scam was actually LEGALISED by the government. Solicitors were involved in the scam.

And all legalised by Brian Cowen.

This is one of the biggest scandals in the history of the state.

Hundreds of millions and perhaps billions lost to the state in revenue because of tax avoidance and a loophole which Cowen first missed and then legalised.

And the lost revenue will now have to be made up with new taxes including a property tax.

Time to hit the streets lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

They wont listen, we can wave placards until the cows come home.

is it because you are lazy? We need an revolution in Ireland.

So whats the plan?

naked protest?

• Advertisement

So whats the plan?

naked protest?

It's really a waste of time..waste of time even living here in a country full of people resigned to the fact we will always have **** government and be slaves to their mistakes.

Did you ever see borat?

The opening scene in the village is what we will become before long!

Country going to dogs, wont be long before poeple go eitehr far right or far left in fustration.

Speaking of far left, sure joey higgins has a seat in europe now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's quite unfortunate the ECB can't appoint a receiver to the department of finance. Give some common sense German or Dutchman about 6 months at the helm and the thing will be sorted. And Brian Cowen will definitly not earn more than Barak Obama anymore either.

Advertisement