Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Park in Tuam.

Options
  • 08-09-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Quick question for ye:-

anybody know the "official" name of the car park across from Connaughtons, the lawnmore/pet shop. Think its on Shop street???

thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There is a car park there?

Edit: Oh the one near the Doctors/Dentist, what ever it is in there! 14 years in Tuam and I never really took notice.

So to answer your question, no I don't know the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Yep, its a pay and display..

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It was the site of the old Garvey's Mills. It is now in the ownership of Joe O'Toole and it is, indeed, a pay and display car park. Fortunately, the old pay and display machine is not working that well and people can park for free. There is no name on the car park and why should there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do people actually pay that money? I've never bought a parking ticket in Tuam I think it's a disgrace I would never shop in Tuam again if I got a parking ticket. I'm never that long in any place usually 15 minutes at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's easier to pay the pay and display than go for 15 minutes and get caught once. Happened to my Dad when he went into the pub my Mam works in for 5 mins to do a job, he got a parking ticket.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it!! I got a ticket in that car park recently!! I use that car park the odd time and when I do most of the time the bloody machine isn't working!

I usually always check before I leave the car park but on this particular day I didn't, my daughter was in the car with me and she was really sick, I was rushing to the Chemist to get medication for her, to be honest I didn't even think about it!

I noticed when i came back that the car park has been taken over by a private company starts with a! And a bloody ticket on my car. Wasn't even in the car park for more then 10 mins.

Personally I think all car parks should be free for the first ten minutes!!

I was asking what the name of the car park was because the ticket says "O'tooles car park" and to me O'Tooles car park is the one in supervalu..

Thought it was a private car park and not one that could be ticketed by the choccie soldiers. If anything, I thought a clamp would apply in this car park. The machine has been out this week as well. You could use this as an argument if you want to try and get off with the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pauliewallie200

I heard from someone way back that this car park ALLEGEDLY does not have the necessary planning permission to operate as a car park to the general public & therefore any tickets/fines issued are null & void.
    Something similar came up on the Joe Duffy Show on radio 1 earlier in the week about a car park in South Dublin City. It would be easy to establish whether there is planning on this by checking on Galway County council's " Gplan" website.;)

By the way, you would think that Mr.O'Toole with all his millions would at least fill in the craters of potholes that are all over this "car Park":(

I heard from someone way back that this car park ALLEGEDLY does not have the necessary planning permission to operate as a car park to the general public & therefore any tickets/fines issued are null & void.
    Something similar came up on the Joe Duffy Show on radio 1 earlier in the week about a car park in South Dublin City. It would be easy to establish whether there is planning on this by checking on Galway County council's " Gplan" website.;)

By the way, you would think that Mr.O'Toole with all his millions would at least fill in the craters of potholes that are all over this "car Park":(

Interesting................. must check that out!! thanks for that!! And yeah your right about those bloody potholes!!!! :mad:

As far as i know, there is planning for a car park at this site. Agree that it is like something from beruit. But O'Toole only using it as a temporary income earner as he has future plans for this site. Not one for those pesky community wardens though!

• Advertisement

dec25532 wrote: »
    As far as i know, there is planning for a car park at this site. Agree that it is like something from beruit. But O'Toole only using it as a temporary income earner as he has future plans for this site.

Just spent the last 45 mins on the Council's website (planning section) - there appears to be no application for any sort of planning permission for a car parking operation at this location. I'd be looking for a refund if I paid any parking fines.
    :)

Just spent the last 45 mins on the Council's website (planning section) - there appears to be no application for any sort of planning permission for a car parking operation at this location. I'd be looking for a refund if I paid any parking fines.
    :)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting... thanks for that!! Haven't paid the fine yet.. nothing in the post yet either.. Gave me 30 days to pay and I think thats up now...

I know someone in the Council might ask them about it (not that i'm doubting you pauliewallie200) :)

@ Pauliewallie - How the hell did you figure out the map:eek:

Sweet jaysus.. I've tried for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to figure it out!!

did you see a planning number or anything?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Sweet jaysus.. I've tried for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to figure it out!!

did you see a planning number or anything?

Thanks.[/quote]

I searched too & you are right Pauliewallie there appears to be no application for any type of parking service at this location.:mad:
    I used the method below (see link below) & I typed in several variations of the owners name in "application name" box e.g. O'Toole, O'Tooles, O Toole, O'Toole investments etc etc. I then typed in "Tuam" , "Townparks" in the location box & still no planning file.
    http://apps.galwaycoco.ie/planningenquiry/MainFrames.aspx
    AFAIK all tickets & fines are therefore null & void.

I spoke with someone in Planning (who wasn't very helpful and just told me to look online!) They said if the Council were already using it as a car park no planning would be needed as the licence would just pass hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

You should check every business you trade with, if they don't have planning they'd have to provide their services for free too!!!

They said if the Council were already using it as a car park no planning would be needed as the licence would just pass hands...[/quote]:confused:

It was never a "Council" car park or ever used as a "Council" car park.:)

I think their initial response just sums up those wasters. :D

Blanchguy wrote: »
    You should check every business you trade with, if they don't have planning they'd have to provide their services for free too!!!

Fail to plan, plan to Fail - ROY "Blanchguy" KEANE:D

So you'd prefer if there wasn't a car park there?

So you'd prefer if there wasn't a car park there?

RCO2000 is Correct.:)

There are plenty of car parks with the necessary planning permission (and spare capacity) operating in Tuam already.

Wake up Blanch guy, the guy that owns this is the richest man in North Galway (oops, after Declan Ganly:D)

FFS! Why are the rules different for him?? That's the reason why this country is so f**ked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

yeah, the chubby chap with the little gizmo for logging number plates is down there quite often. dunno if he logs anything tho. have seen him havin tea in his car! It is O'tooles but people call in garveys dont they ! if thats true about planning permission that would be handy to park for free if one was guaranteed to get away with it on a techicality....as i ALWAYS pay for parking in tuam, afraid to risk it..murphys law and all......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

off topic

whats the deal with the Audi Q8 with the G2 rego...???

wtf

.....?!

off topic

whats the deal with the Audi Q8 with the G2 rego...???

wtf

.....?!
    parked across from easons/chemist , sort of???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yup

nice wheels. they own the pub its parked outside, brogue i think (aka sugars if i remember from my school days. 08 g 2xx. just the G and the 2 are together....Nice. 3.0 tdi..brum brum.................

I spoke with someone in Planning (who wasn't very helpful and just told me to look online!) They said if the Council were already using it as a car park no planning would be needed as the licence would just pass hands...

Will check out tomorrow whether there is a licence covering the operation of this car park....doubt it as it would've had to have been advertised in the Tuam Herald for a no. of weeks & notice erected outside this location.

Good to see the country cousins so eager to obey the planning laws...

Good to see the country cousins so eager to obey the planning laws...

Are we related?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Blanchguy, unless you have something meaningful to say here, stick to Dublin forums

• Advertisement
Advertisement