Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condensation from Tumble Dryers

• 08-09-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi

We're looking to buy a tumble dryer - have never had one before and we're weighing up our options - condenser versus ventilated. Guy in DID reckoned that there is an issue with condensation from condenser dryers. Our utility room is quite small, there is a back door but no windows so my question is how much of a problem is this - would be interested to hear from people who have similar situation.

Alternative of course is to bang a hole in the wall which to be honest is looking appealing right now...

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have a Hotpoint condensing dryer. Aside from the fact I will never buy hotpoint again.(Loads of problems) it works fine in a condensing sense. It collects water at the top and fluff and furr at the bottom. If i have it on the hot setting it heats up the room a lot but as for producing moisture? No there is not a lot.

This dryer also comes with the option to run the waste into a waste pipe but its just as easy to empty every couple of days.

My father had the other type, that required the vent! TBH they both work fine except mine does away with the need to punch a hole it the wall.

Honestly I would have no problem in telling you if my condenser was a problem. I have mine in my utility room. There is 5 presses. A microwave a toaster and an iron kept there.... No problems.!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Personally, I'd recommend you get the hole put in the wall (you can hire a drill and "bit" suitable to core out a 4" hole).

Generally speaking, vented dryers are quicker, are a bit more reliable, cheaper and less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

We have an Electrolux condensor drier and the room gets warm (even humid) with it. If I was designing the utility room again I would plan it in a way that a vented drier would work in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

thanks for the advice folks - think I'm veering towards the vented solution -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

It costs me about 250 to get the hole drilled. A lot less hassle than emptying pans of water and fluff. Its much cheaper to buy an ordinary dryer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

kmick wrote: »
    It costs me about 250 to get the hole drilled. A lot less hassle than emptying pans of water and fluff. Its much cheaper to buy an ordinary dryer as well.

€250?? Wow thats a lot more than I was expecting - I was thinking more like €100 - did it take long? How big is the hole?

William72 wrote: »
    €250?? Wow thats a lot more than I was expecting - I was thinking more like €100 - did it take long? How big is the hole?

i will do it for 150. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well the guy came with a big water cooled drill. Took him no more than 90 minutes and most of that was me asking him questions. It had to go through an external/internal wall tidily so he had to drill slowly. It is about 4 inches wide for a standard white extendable ventilation pipe.

kmick wrote: »
    Well the guy came with a big water cooled drill. Took him no more than 90 minutes and most of that was me asking him questions. It had to go through an external/internal wall tidily so he had to drill slowly. It is about 4 inches wide for a standard white extendable ventilation pipe.

Seen as you make it sound so interesting I will do it for you for 145 :) E

60 Euro to hire a 4" Core bit. 40 Euro for a drill. allow 20 euro for juice. Not a bad 150 for 90 min work

although I would have bought a new sds drill in argos for 80 Euro non branded. Hired the core bit. for 60 had 10 euro for juice and be left with a nice SDS drill for occassional use afterwords.

Advertisement