Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which popular browser do you use?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Chrome
    Firefox here as default, but I still use other browsers for testing purposes

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Chrome
    Chrome for any Google applications, Firefox for pretty much everything else.

Haven't used IE as a regular browser since some very early iteration of Firefox became available, Firebird, I think.

Brief flirtation with Opera, but it drives me bananas these days. Have tried using Safari on the mac, but it just seems pointless when Firefox has so much more *stuff*, plus having the tab close icon on the opposite side to every other tabbed browser is, by itself, enough to discourage me from using it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Maxthon/Maxthon 2 or Lunascape for me.

Haven't used anything Mozilla related on my own computers since around the time of the name change from Phoenix/Firebird to Firefox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Chrome
    Firefox because I'm a web developer, and because although it's a bit of a resource hog, it's still flexible and fast enough for everyday browsing, particularly with extensions. It's sort of the Nissan Qashqai of browsers, does a bit of everything reasonably well. Safari on the Mac is great for raw speed, especially on Snow Leopard (really, stunningly fast) and I use it when I want to look at something where I need performance, or for video.

I think the poll stats reflect developer and web-savvy user habits though, much like the stats on w3schools.com. It shows us what people like us use, so it shouldn't be taken as any indication of general trends (probably preaching to the choir here, my apologies).

Interestingly, IE 6 seems to be holding steady at somewhere between 15% and 25% for general web users, and not dropping as slowly as it was; this appears to be the entrenched users, who can't or won't switch from it for a number of reasons. It'll probably never drop below 13-14%, in the next 4 years or so. Irritating but true.

If you haven't seen the latest Google solution for dealing with IE, then have a look at this: http://ajaxian.com/archives/chrome-frame - it's interesting, but not without it's serious ethical issues regarding treatment of end users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Safari
    Tried Opera for a while, the mouse gestures seem cool, so does the tab preview, if you could move the tabs down the side of the screen it would be better for use on widescreen monitors.

I don't like the look of it, it's a bit chunky looking. Nothing bar the mouse gestures would be enough to pull me away from Chrome though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement