Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elizium by Fields of The Nephilim

Options
  • 08-09-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

This is my review for 'Elizium' by Fields of The Nephilim. I hope this is in the right reviews section. Here it is:

'Elizium' was the last album FOTN did before they callaed it quits in 1991 after the amazing 'Earth Inferno' album. This album was a stunnung way to end their career with, and very few bands have done/can do this. Anyway after getting the equally impressive 'Nephilim' album and the really great 'Revelations' best of this was my next choice.

From the opening rumbling intro of 'Dead but Dreaming' to the achingly beautiful two part fourteen min epic of 'Wail of Sumer/ And There Will Your Heart be Also' there is not a single bad/duff song in between. The sheer range and majestic scope of this album is quite startling, even on the first listen. But like most true art it may take a few listens to really start to appreciate it more.

It's really an album that should be listened to from start to finish because most songs disolve into one another except for 'Submission with it's intense wah wah guitars & Sumerland' with its very memorable riffs and time changes, which are also excellent epic pieces.

This was the first album that Carl McCoy began to compose some of the lyrics with parts from Sumerian mythology, and you can hear it on incredible songs like 'At The Gates of Silent Memory/Paradise Regained' with the errie spoken word intro by the self proclaimed 'most evil man' Aleister Crowley, and the haunting and mysterious 'Wail of Sumer' (again, another song with the subject matter being the ancient mysteries of Sumer). This song is fairly quite and subdued but very imaginative.

The last song 'And There Will Your Heart be Also' is simply stunning and so unforgettable, it will take you away and make you wish it never ends, I especially love the lryrics 'We must suffer - To free our pain'. You'll be breathless by the time this album has finished. The guitars on this song will definitly appeal to fans of the excellent David Gilmore of Pink Floyd, the way they float up and soar taking the lister to a higher plane of existence.

The lyrics are some of the best as well, and they can be mysterious as well. It is crafted pretty much like a concept album but is highly unique and very well put together. Another thing that strikes me about this masterpiece is the amount of Floydian influences throughout, and the dreamlike structures of some of the songs.

If Carl and the boys had of done another album I think thing might have been different, as in they may have gained more commercial sucuess, but alas they have made three truly amazing albums that are all diferent in terms of sound. It still sounds very fresh and innovative even today in this very disposable world, and I have yet to hear another album that will rival this work of art.

This is definitly a 10/10 album. If you love gothic rock, and have not heard this incredible album you are really missing out.

Advertisement