Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new property tax, it must be a sick joke?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

This goverment are experts at diversion, how many times will we believe them when they tell us its raining when in fact they are pissing on our leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thms.kelly

springfield tallaght dublin 2004 3 bed semi 200,000 payments over 30 years payment 1100,
    rent similar 3 bed semi 1200 tell me this is bs!!

plus our government , were throwing schemes out there shared ownership schemes, affordable housing, not so affordable now!!
    they where the ones egging us on to buy , with no chance of renting in a local authority estate, and boo whoo dont blame our innocent government, you are saying that we where fools for buying we should have known better, no i say our government should have known better.
    after all they are the ones we allow to run our country

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

chris85 wrote: »
    People are basically paying say a €300k mortgage on a property barely worth probably €240k now. thats wasted money.

Can i just make the point that buying a house for 300k and it now being worth 240k is not "losing" or "wasting" 60k.

If they had to sell it at that price, then yeah, i understand, but at some point they felt that the house was worth 300k to them, so why has that changed?

Dont get me wrong, if that happened to me id be pi$$ed off, but if ya buy a telly or a computer or somethin for 1000, then next week its on sale for 600, there's one word for it....tough!

I wouldnt be at all pushed for this property tax either, lived in the UK for a while and depending on your circumstances, council tax can be an awful chunk of your wages.

For starters; and i say this as a dole-receiver myself; cut the jaysusin dole by 50 quid off the bat. This should be balanced by the introduction of more reliefs and benefits for people who need them, but an 18 or 20 year old livin at home does not need 200 quid a week. I really cant see why the basic dole should be that much. It should start lower, maybe even 100 quid, and then people should be able to claim extra if they need it/deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

thms.kelly wrote: »
    springfield tallaght dublin 2004 3 bed semi 200,000 payments over 30 years payment 1100,

Currently in Springfield Tallaght a 3 bed house asking price is around €250,000. To rent in a 3 bed in Springfield Tallaght is €1000. (That's a 4.8% rental yield)

You're telling me that in 2004 the asking price was €200,000 and rental was €1200. (at 4.8% yield a €200k house should rent for €800). Most likely you are not comparing like with like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Rents go up and down, mortgage repayments go up and down. But rent is something you agree to pay for 6 months or up to 1 year at most in the majority of cases. A mortgage is a loan you take out over 30+ years during Celtic Tiger years.

Don't you think the sheer difference in scale of commitment warranted further thought and research to be given over to the option of renting? After all rent has gone down a lot now. But those on 35 year mortgages are probably still paying the same amount. Also the ECB will probably start putting up interest rates soon.

plus our government , were throwing schemes out there shared ownership schemes, affordable housing, not so affordable now!!
    they where the ones egging us on to buy , with no chance of renting in a local authority estate, and boo whoo dont blame our innocent government, you are saying that we where fools for buying we should have known better, no i say our government should have known better.
    after all they are the ones we allow to run our country

The government aren't innocent but at some point you have to take responsiblity for your own decisions and actions. I mean do you want the government to run all aspects of your life? Tell you when to buy? tell you when to sell? when to take a dump?

Everyone had a choice, some of us decided to buy buy buy no matter the cost and the rest of us decided not to buy at any cost. Now we all have to live with the consequences of our actions, except of course those of us who didn't buy at any cost. We also have to live with the cost (higher taxes) of the actions of those individuals who chose to buy at any cost :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

I wish people would have put a little thought into their purchases. A lot of people who bought in the recent past were getting mortgages over 35 years. That's a bloody long time!!! and for what? 4 walls and a roof?!?!
    Many people bought for what were essentially emotional reasons. They wanted the feeling of ownership and of participation in the property ladder. Terrible decision making.

However any property tax must take account of stamp duty and must be based on the current value rather than the purchase price or the LTEV.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Currently in Springfield Tallaght a 3 bed house asking price is around €250,000. To rent in a 3 bed in Springfield Tallaght is €1000. (That's a 4.8% rental yield)

I own a house in Terenure which I rent out. I am currently getting €1300. I would be very surprised if houses in Springfield (which I know very well) are renting for €1000.
    If the state is paying €1000 for houses in Springfield that's an outrage.

MrMicra wrote: »
    However any property tax must take account of stamp duty
    Hence the seven year holiday
    MrMicra wrote:
    I would be very surprised if houses in Springfield (which I know very well) are renting for €1000
    Hence my scepticism on the claim of €1200 in 2004.

• Advertisement

springfield got that rent for the location, close to amenities square tallaght hospital etc, what do you want for receipts to be produced, my friend has a second home in jobstown to which he lets even now he is getting 1200 to which the state are paying,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

dvpower wrote: »
    Yes. But remember the advise that was been given out for people to stress test their repayment capacity. What would happen if ECB rates went up a few points? Can you afford your repayments if your circumstances changed (lost a job, had a child ...)?

People completely ignored this advise (and their own common sense). They went and borrowed deposits off their credit cards, included fictional rental income on their mortgage applications... and when things go sour, it wasn't their fault because they were encouraged to buy.:mad:

Going by this stress test, no-one could EVER buy a house as anyone can lose their job. You work with what you know at the time you are thinking of buying and allow for come extras...losing your whole income can not come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Hence my scepticism on the claim of €1200 in 2004.[/quote]

Proximity to the hospital etc. meant rents were around €1200/ month in Springfield around 2004. (I'm from Tallaght BTW).
    I think you will find landlords (especially those milking the SW system haven't dropped their prices too much.Why should they when they don't have to:rolleyes:)
    A house there in 2004 was around 200-220K.

Proximity to the hospital etc. meant rents were around €1200/ month in Springfield around 2004. (I'm from Tallaght BTW).
    They are still close to the hospitals in 2009. No one is still explaining why yields went from (supposedly) 7.2% in 2004 to 4.8% in 2009. Maybe Springfield, Tallaght is some exception to the rest of the country.:rolleyes:

They are still close to the hospitals in 2009. No one is still explaining why yields went from (supposedly) 7.2% in 2004 to 4.8% in 2009. Maybe Springfield, Tallaght is some exception to the rest of the country.:rolleyes:
    I only live there. I'm not an accountant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

its hard enough to pay the mortgage on overpriced houses that we had no choice but to buy

:rolleyes:

Did you not know that property bubbles don't last forever? Oops too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Hence my scepticism on the claim of €1200 in 2004.

Theres a lot of social welfare recipients in Tallaght and the rent supplement artifically keeps up price of rent in the area as people on social want to live near friends/family. Afamily with kids on social would get more than 1200 in rent supplement. I think rents across country jumped in 2004 after the EU acession states joined too pushing up demand .

diarmiud simple yes or no do you agree with the proposed property tax, that is the issue at hand,

diarmiud simple yes or no do you agree with the proposed property tax, that is the issue at hand,

I think it's a fairer system than stamp duty.

Now thms.kelly simple yes or no, do you believe that you were forced into buying your house or you did it out of your own free will?
    I'm not an accountant:D
    So it seems.

Theres a lot of social welfare recipients in Tallaght and the rent supplement artifically keeps up price of rent in the area as people on social want to live near friends/family. Afamily with kids on social would get more than 1200 in rent supplement. I think rents across country jumped in 2004 after the EU acession states joined too pushing up demand .
    Cut the rent supplement I don't see that private landlords have much choice.

• Advertisement

do you have a family?you say you rent? every time your lease agreement is up, do you go find another house, i went with one of our great governments schemes to buy a home, to try and give myself some stability,try live in the same home for life, was there anything wrong with trying to give my family a home,
    after all these schemes were put together by our government! they wouldnt steer us wrong would they,
    tell me do you agree on water charges also,

do you have a family?you say you rent? every time your lease agreement is up, do you go find another house, i went with one of our great governments schemes to buy a home, to try and give myself some stability,try live in the same home for life, was there anything wrong with trying to give my family a home,
    after all these schemes were put together by our government! they wouldnt steer us wrong would they,

I have a wife and daughter. I currently rent. It hasn't been easy over the last few years, we've moved twice. But despite family and friends telling me to buy a house, I stuck with renting. I'd say it was only about 6 months ago my father and sister were badgering me about there "never being a better time to buy" and that I should get on the "property ladder" :rolleyes:

I have the deposit saved for a good home (really saved, not borrowed from a credit union), so for me renting was my choice. Just because the government made it attractive to buy in the short term didn't mean I went out to buy at any cost! We were obviously in a bubble for many years. Those who bought in the bubble should just accept responsibility for their mistakes. The people can make the government take their share of the responsiblity by not voting for them at the next election.

I agree with Property tax on 2nd and subsequent properties. There are too many "buy to let" chancers out there having the mortgages on their properties paid for by the taxpayer via rent allowances.
    What makes me laugh is these chancers are the people calling for other people to pay more taxes and making smartass comments about how they pay public sector wages or how they are paying peoples dole etc etc.
    its a real "Anyone but me" mentality and its fecking hypocritical.
    Why should I pay their fecking mortgages while they cry like girls about having to pay a property tax.

I agree with water charges. Why should I subsidise people who waste it?

i also agree on property tax on second and third homes, but the people who bought as their sole residence , never looked to profit ,just have a home,

Advertisement