Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for an apartment

Options
  • 08-09-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey

Looking for a breed of dog that would be suitable for an apartment.So a small breed and good temperment.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kt217

hi i have had a number of dogs and i think the best one for you would be a Cavalier King Charles i got one of these before christmas last year and she is the most playfull best tempered dog i have ever had or seen i could noy be more happy with her and she is great with kids and was very easy to train here is a pic of her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

+1 on a Cavalier, however I cannot stress enough how careful you need to be when selecting a breeder. These dogs suffer from numerous genetic health problems.

I have two myself they are four and 3 and a half, one of them has epilepsy and the other has severe hip dysplasia for which she may need a hip replacment and she also has a neurological illness called syringomyelia. Apart from Hollys limp both of them lead normal lives and are happy, friendly, energetic dogs.

There is lots of info available here: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10890

Also feel free to ask me any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I posted on a recent thread about someone getting a Cavalier King Charles for an apartment so I'm going to quote myself here:
    I have an apartment and a Cavlier too!

It works really well. They like short bursts of exercise and then snuggling up on the couch for a kip. They're stubborn but clever and can be easily trained once you have the time.

The one thing I will say is that they're very clingy as a breed. They were originally bred as companion lapdogs and this trait is still very strong. I work from home and, when I'm in, she's hanging out with me all the time. She's fine on her own for a few hours but I really wouldn't leave her for a full working day. The other thing to consider is that the dog will get very attached to you while you're at home for the next couple of months and could very well suffer from seperation anxiety once you go back to work.

If you're thinking of a Cav, would you consider adopting an older one from a rescue? That way, you wouldn't have to deal with the general destruction and chaos brought on my a puppy and, depending on the dog, they might be happier to lounge around on their own for longer periods for when you're back to work? A good rescue will be able to tell you a lot about the personality of each of their dogs and will work to match on to you and your situation.

While I absolutely love my pooch and wouldn't swap her for the world, I regret not going down the shelter route. At the time, I did look at some pounds but was limited in the type of dog I could get and didn't want to risk getting a cross-breed puppy just because I wouldn't be sure of the likely size and temperment of the dog which is something you really have to consider when living in an apartment with neighbours all around.

Hopefully, in a few years, we'll have more space and I'll be adopting another Cav through a rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I totally adore the King Charles. I would love one muself but because of the health problems and clingyness I wont get one. Also so many people charge redicolous prices for their king charles dogs. I realy would love an indoors dog that has similar traits though. Anyway I would suggest maybe a minature yorkie.

Advertisement