Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

So I've just finished reading yet another Jodi Picoult book but I'm starting to get sick of the overlapping in her books so I'm looking for a similar book/author to keep me going for the last week before I'm back at college! :pac:

I'm a fan of the weepy kinda books but not so much romance novels. Somewhere along the lines of 'My Sisters Keeper' and 'Handle with Care'. I kinda like books that have a 'what would you do?' theme- hence the jodi picoult collection! I also liked 'The Pact' and 'Salem Falls' but I got sick of the similarities between the storylines and the same descriptions being used!

Any suggestions for an author of similar style or a book that you think I may like?
    Oh and a quick outline of the story too! thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Some books I've read which you might like, The lovely bones by Alice Sebold - story of a young girl who is murdered but who narrates the bold and keep watch over her family & friends. The Time Travellers Wife - the story of a man who time travels to various parts of his own, his wife's, and other's lifetimes. The book thief, set during WWII. Or the house at Riverton, by Kate Morton - set in the 20's and is told through the eyes of Grace, a ladies maid at Riverton House, (romance and tragedy).
    The Kite Runner and also A thousand splendid suns are fantastic books (both by Khaled Hosseini)- sad but very poignant.

Amazon is great for recommending books based on past choices, so if you search for Jodi Picoult, it should bring up some similar books to hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

cool, thanks a million! i gave in and bought yet another jodi picoult book today but its my last one now so i'l try one of your suggestions next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'd second all of those although I haven't read The House at Riverton yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

have ya ever read any virginia andrews? or anne franks diary?

Advertisement