Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel route for NZ

Options
  • 08-09-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi Im curreently in S.A and going to new zealand at end of december, my parents have informed me that they will be joining us for 3 weeks. i have no idea of what to do in NZ. can anyone recommend what we should do and see for the 3 weeks, we will probably be hiring a car. we will be flying into Auckland and flying out of Auckland. any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Oh and what will the weather be like at this time of year on both islands, my mother is under the impression/hoping that it will be hot everywhere :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Have a look at this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650283

and also this one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672900

If you're talking about only 3 weeks and flying in and out of Auckland, you may well be better doing only the north island. Ppl rant and rave about the south, but there's plenty in the north island; the Bay of Islands, Gisbourne, Napier, Wellington, Tongariro, Taranaki, Lake Taupo, Rotorua, etc. All are wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

I travelled all around NZ in june. People rave about the south island and rightly so. In my opinion its much better than the north island.
    Just get an internal jetstar flight down to christchurch.

i rented with a2b rentals and where the cheapest. drove from christchurch to dunedin, Invercargill (could miss this place). On the south island the must do is milford sound and queenstown. also mt cook if you have the time and hanmer springs for the thermal pools. coming out of winter there so imagine it would be still bit cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

3 weeks and you'll be travelling with your parents, so I imagine its scenery/culture cool things your after.

If I was you with that short a time, I would get a flight down to Picton. And spend most/all of my time on the South Island.

starting in picton explore the Marlborough sounds and a bit of Abel Tasman NP (beautifull sounds and winding roads by the coast)
    towards Nelson.

making your way to the Lewis Pass (Via Reefton, Springs Junction) - Hanmer Springs (thermal bathing springs) - up to Kiakoura (whale watching) and back same direction.

down to Christchurch and th Banks Penninsula (stunning scenery out that)
    up to Arthurs Pass NP

Down inland East Coast to Lake Tekapo (beautifull) and in to Mt Cook Village (the Drive in to the Village along the lake is stunning)

Down the Catalins coast (petrified forrest) towards Invercargill (missable)
    to Milford Sound pretty amazing road in there and stunning Scenery one there (absolutely take a boat into the sounds!)

Around to Queenstown via the Remarkables Mtns up to Wanaka (stunning)
    over Haast Pass (stunning) into Mt Aspiring National Pk (beautifull)
    onto the wet (west) coast up through Glaciers on coast (Fox n Franz) HIGLY recommend a scenic flight here which takes in everything inc Mt Cook and lands on a glacier for the most beautifull short stroll in your life! -STUNNING (and only few people fit so you'll be on your own in the heavenly peace there.

This is all only for starters! its WELL worth your while to go and get a guide book for what not to miss on this route too. New Zealand is stunning everywhere you go really.

I spent about 1.5 months cycling all around the route (more or less) what Ive given you here.

Also time permitting (some people like to blitz through 3-400km a day in the car) others do 200km, the North Island is beautifull so fly/boat back to Wellington and make your way back to Auckland (theres lots to see) with whatever time you have.

Oh and the weather should the hottest time of year mid to high 20's/low 30's depending on where you are. Further south yuo go the cooler it is.

Advertisement