Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good Doomsday movie?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I love zombie horrors and asteroid collisions and the sorts
    So does anyone have any good apocalyptic movie suggestions for tonight that I could rent cos in the mood for a good horror, if thats the genre:pac:
    Something like 2012 or 28 weeks later, you know what I mean:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Day of the Dead (original)
    The Omega Man (Charlton Heston)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

Watched both last night, epic movies thanks a mill man!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

The Mist....well worth a look if you liked those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

shall give it a look tomorrow night with the OH!
    Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

If yer looking for a good doomsday movie? try Doomsday, its a kinda mad max in scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

If yer looking for a good doomsday movie? try Doomsday, its a kinda mad max in scotland.

Yeah, I'll second Doomsday. The bad reviews originally put me off but I rented it and enjoyed it.

Save for a couple of decent gore scenes I thought Doomsday was a boring piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I bought Doomsday when I had a few beers in me. Have to say I liked it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Mist....well worth a look if you liked those
    smythwicks wrote: »
    shall give it a look tomorrow night with the OH!
    Cheers man!

If you can, get yourself the black and white version. Sounds silly, but the film was shot to be viewed in black & white so a lot of the compositions and effects look better in black & white. It's a decent watch one way or another, but that bit better in b&w.

Fysh wrote: »
    If you can, get yourself the black and white version. Sounds silly, but the film was shot to be viewed in black & white so a lot of the compositions and effects look better in black & white. It's a decent watch one way or another, but that bit better in b&w.

+1

The B+W version is so much better(thats not to say I didnt love the colour version too)
    The B+W has extended and extra scenes,is much more intense and the CGI which is slightly intrusive in the colour version almost seemlessly integrates.

Awesome movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

the mist hav to say great movie well worth a look

The Mist is very good until the final scene, which is ridiculous to say the least.

I thought the ending was fantastic and such a change from the usual Hollywood happy ending garbage.Even King said himself that he prefers Darabonts ending and is raging that he didnt think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I thought the ending was fantastic and such a change from the usual Hollywood happy ending garbage.Even King said himself that he prefers Darabonts ending and is raging that he didnt think of it.

I heard that Stephen King said that alright. I don't think there's anything wrong with a downbeat ending as long as it fits the movie. I just didn't buy the characters who had done so much up to that point to adapt to their situation to do what they did in the end...the movie worked well enough without a needless twist.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The Mist is very good until the final scene, which is ridiculous to say the least.
    Decuc500 wrote: »
    I heard that Stephen King said that alright. I don't think there's anything wrong with a downbeat ending as long as it fits the movie. I just didn't buy the characters who had done so much up to that point to adapt to their situation to do what they did in the end...the movie worked well enough without a needless twist.

The discussion about the ending has been done to death in other threads, but I really don't get what's ridiculous about it. If anything, I'd have thought that the reaction depicted in The Mist was more realistic than what you normally get in these films, because the entire premise of the film is one big Outside Context Problem. In a few days these people have seen the mist roll in and turn their entire existence upside down.
    Society has crumbled, the infrastructure of their world is falling apart as far as they can see, and their prospects of survival are grim. On top of which, most of the ways in which they may well end up dying appear to be agonizing and drawn out

Given all of that, I don't see what's so strange about deciding
    to commit suicide. These people will more than likely be in shock at this stage, combined with some sort of post-traumatic stress. One day their lives proceed as normal, the next they're told that priorities have changed such that a day where they don't get their faces sucked off by tentacled horrors that man should not wot of. You'd need to be a bit mad to think you could continue as normal, and given how some people react to things like the outbreak of war or the death of loved ones, I don't see opting for suicide as being in any way out-of-keeping with the rest of the story's development

Advertisement