Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re New Build

Options
  • 08-09-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Lads what do you think of the following build for a future proof build that would do a few years

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe, Sockel AM3, ATX

4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9

SEAGATE Barracuda LP 5900.12 1TB, 32MB, SATA II

Corsair 750HX, 750 Watt

Antec Nine Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

you lack a graphics card.

Futureproofing eh?
    I think it kind of exists... But at the same time, it kinda doesn't!

Even though AMD have come out and said that they'll be sticking with AM3 socket for the next 12 months at least, the max speed of the ram on any mobo they offer right now is 1333mhz... So even though you "might" be able to run their new 6 core processors when they come out in around 12months the speed of your ram will still be limited to 1333mhz.

The motherboard you chose has 4 pci-express slots! For 4 way xfire. Now that would be handy if you were building a super almighty pc, but that still won't make whatever cards you put in them now DX11!

That is why i think that "futureproofing" doesn't really exist.

Now this is why i think it kinda does too...

There is a very good chance that the machine you posted up would play nearly every game perfectly well in 2-3 years time.

The cpu and ram requirements are unlikely to increase by a really huge amount from what they are today to what they will be in a couple of years time.
    For instance how long have quad-cores been around? and how many games require them? How many games would struggle to run off a dual core at 2.4ghz and 2gigs of ram on W7?

The only part of a gaming rig which really becomes outdated over 12-18 months is the graphics card!
    If someone were to say to me "hey i wanted to futureproof my machine so i got an i7 975 extreme and a gtx295" I'd say "That was a bit silly" Because the fact is that 295's cost €400 and those i7's cost €900!
    Several hundred percent increase in price for quite a small real-time increase in performance.

The €100 or €200 that you save by getting a capable mid to high end graphics card can go towards the time when your graphics card doesn't cut it anymore. And when that comes they won't sell 295's anymore(cause they'll suck too) and you pick up another mid to high end graphics card for the initial savings.

Well that's my opinion on it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

You could go for a Core i5 setup for less than that CPU and motherboard combo costs.

Also, I wouldn't use that hard drive as a system drive because of its slower rotation speed. The higher access latency will result in a less responsive system

Advertisement