Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Laptop in UCD

Options
  • 08-09-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi there, got my laptop stolen last nite in the arts block. Left it in my guitar case and went away for a few mins cos there was no-one around and it was gone out of my guitar case when i got back. Am really sickened, had all my stuff and important course work from lest year etc. And it was worth over a grand on Dell last year. :(

Decription
    Dell XPS M1330 black.
    Running Windows 7.
    With black dell xps case

1031104873_b9946ce3a7.jpg

On the off chance that any of yea see it please get in touch with me asap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

You should report it to the services desk at the main entrance. (and probably the Gardai)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Jeez thats terrible, someone was obviously watching you ! Stupid scumbags are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

There are plenty of CCTV cameras outside the building but you should check if there are any indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Yep, reported it to the lost and found in the arts block.
    Mite inquire about cctv..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Report it to the Gardaí with details of time etc. It is a criminal matter and they will be able to check all the CCTV etc - there is CCTV in quite a few places around the Arts block and if it was quiet and the guy walked out with it in his hand they should be able to spot him. Identifying him is the tougher thing but if its a UCD student you might be in luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Could they check if the mac address has accessed the network or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Could they check if the mac address has accessed the network or anything?

good suggestion

In addition everyone has to swipe in and out so if it was another student the authorities will know who was in the library at the time and who left that night

Gives them a list of suspects

Dont suppose you had backed up the data?

If you get a new computer you might just be better getting a mac with a mobile me account and automatically backing up your data to the apple server

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It's people like you who make a criminals job easy. You make me sick.

Seriously though that sucks. I see far too many people leaving their laptops around UCD, especially in the library. That place is a criminals paradise. Phones, laptops, wallets and so on left unattended at a desk. You had yours hidden away and it was stolen. The sick thing is that its quite possibly another student who has done the deed. Good luck getting it back. Though I wouldn't hold your breath...

Who said the laptop was stolen in the library??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

If you've got a gmail account that logs in automatically from the laptop, look out for changes in the IP address. Go to the bottom of your inbox, there should be something about where it was last accessed from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Jev/N wrote: »
    Who said the laptop was stolen in the library??

Nobody - the OP said it was stolen from the arts block.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

might be coincidental but on the ground floor of the science south i think i saw an ad for a xps laptop alot like yours being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Tom1991 wrote: »
    might be coincidental but on the ground floor of the science south i think i saw an ad for a xps laptop alot like yours being sold

I seen that too, its a 1330 aswell

Notorious wrote: »
    Nobody - the OP said it was stolen from the arts block.

Exactly, but one of the posters was on about getting a list of people from the library which makes no sense since it wasn't stolen there

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

Cept that's mine...and red :)

And still available :D
    Tom1991 wrote: »

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

taught me a lesson always read the fine print and or look properly at an ad in the first place .sorry dude

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Hi all, thanks for the replies, sorry for being slow!
    No luck so far.

Had it registered on the UCD network, and have had the networks searching for it by its mac address.

Have to check out that poster if its still up! Cheers!

Disappeared from the arts block not the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

The poster's still up. It's the same laptop as in my sig.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Advertisement