Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Offer without Undergraduate Degree

Options
  • 08-09-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, Just wanted to ask advice regarding a masters course I've been offered a place on. I don't have an undergraduate degree but was offered a place based on experience and a N.F.Q. LEVEL 7 course completed last year. Ulimately the only reason I would consider doing the course is to boost my employment chances but want to move to a corporate / multi-national company where I can buid a decent career. My background is Sales Managament in S.M.E. Ireland. My question is do you think it will open any doors to potential graduate programs or would it be frowned upon by potential employers the fact that I don't have an undergraduate qualification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

I don't know how things look in Ireland, but in continental Europe once I've got a Master's degree no-one will ask you about an undergraduate degree. Same goes with PhD - once you have it, nobody will care about your Master's degree. And backward: if you have an undergraduate degree, you don't care about a living certificate.
    My question is do you think it will open any doors to potential graduate programs

Well, a Master's degree is a postgraduate programme. Are you talking about PhD then?
    or would it be frowned upon by potential employers the fact that I don't have an undergraduate qualification?

I don't think it will cause problems with your prospective employer. If I were him/her, I would think that you have even higher qualifications, because I've managed to do a Master's degree without a BA/BSc. However, it is a very individual matter. Can't really generalize on this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP, I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking, are you saying that the masters you were offered is level 7?

I know people who have worked for 10-15 years and with just their LC and then went on to do their MBA, so an undergrad is not essential.

If you've been offered a masters go and do it and dont worry about the undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

OP, I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking, are you saying that the masters you were offered is level 7?
    a N.F.Q. LEVEL 7 course completed last year

The course which he did is level 7, not a Master's degree which was offered to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I work with an epidemiologist who started as a clerk in the "number factory" as I call it. She just learned as she went, and then did a masters in applied epidemiology, and then a PhD. She now works in a very high powered job. She's one of the best epis we have, and she lectures on the masters programme locally.

So, you can do very well out of it. No one ever asks about her lack of a BSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I wouldn't worry, OP. If you got the offer go for it. I was lucky that I was offered a PhD opportunity even though I don't have an undergrad or postgrad degree. I just had a diploma. The Prof thought I would be able for the PhD and although I did the thing part-time I managed to finish it two weeks ago. So go for it if you got the offer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry I wasnt sure if he had complete a level 7 or had been offered a level 7 and a masters.

Advertisement