Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broad Band Set up

Options
  • 08-09-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I have eircom BB in my house and also eircom Phone Watch. I was wondering if the router HAS to be connected to the main phone line in the house or can I move it to a secondary phone line in my bed room? I've tried ringing eircom but no luck getting through.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

My guess is that it has to be connected to the main one as the 2nd line has a different connection. I could be wrong though!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

j14 wrote: »
    I have eircom BB in my house and also eircom Phone Watch. I was wondering if the router HAS to be connected to the main phone line in the house or can I move it to a secondary phone line in my bed room? I've tried ringing eircom but no luck getting through.

Any ideas?
    It should always be at the MTP for the best DSL signal, secondary points can be troublesome somethings but not always. One thing that must be done is that your monitored house alarm is filtered correctly for Broadband. Eircom will do this for you (if not already done).

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

Yep Eircom put a filter on the line but the reason I am asking this is that I have an xbox in the bedroom with the xbox wireless adapter and the wireless signal is shocking. I just wanted to move the router to the bedroom and hard wire the 360 into it but I dont know if I would be doing something wrong by moving the router to the bedroom or should I just leave everything alone cos I really don't know what I'm doing!
    I'm rubbish at this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

I've used the wireless and it's pretty good in my experience. Are you using the Eircom router? Because they are crap! Invest in a better router is so ;)

Yep Eircom put a filter on the line but the reason I am asking this is that I have an xbox in the bedroom with the xbox wireless adapter and the wireless signal is shocking. I just wanted to move the router to the bedroom and hard wire the 360 into it but I dont know if I would be doing something wrong by moving the router to the bedroom or should I just leave everything alone cos I really don't know what I'm doing!
    I'm rubbish at this stuff.
    Well then connect it up and make sure every device in the house is filtered, then post up your line statistics and we can dictate if the secondary socket is causing a problem with the DSL signal or not.

• Advertisement

It's a net-topia thing that came from eircom when the BB was installed about 4 years ago. It works fine for the PC but the 360 usually only gets 2 bars of reception. Any good recommendations for a router then?

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Well then connect it up and make sure every device in the house is filtered, then post up your line statistics and we can dictate if the secondary socket is causing a problem with the DSL signal or not.

I'm really thick, how do I find out my line stats?

Thanks,

J.

I'm really thick, how do I find out my line stats?

Thanks,

J.
    Netopia Router, you copy and paste from the following location:

http://192.168.1.254 > Start (if not visable, skip this) > Expert Mode > Yes, Enter Expert Mode > Statistics > DSL.

Here you go but it looks like greek to me!

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 9.50 6.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Here you go but it looks like greek to me!

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 9.50 6.00
    CRC Errors 0 0
    I'm extremely jealous, those are some excellent line statistics.

If you ever decided to upgrade in the future, you'll easily be able to get 7.6MB.

Your broadband will perform fine upstairs, connect away buddy.

• Advertisement

Thanks CPU-Dude.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on. I live in a bungalow and the signal from the sitting room to my bedroom has to pass through about 3 internal walls so I think that is why the reception in my bedroom is rubbish.

I was thinking of upgrading but I only go online to check email and xbox live 3 nights a week so I don't know if the upgrade to 7 MB would be worth my while.
    Anyway, thanks again, it was much appreciated, you too Donagh_mc.

J.

Advertisement