Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Well.... I was just reading in the weather forum about some magnetic fields happenning yesterday and that some auroras should be around tomorrow, and I said aloud to myself ...'oh wow...some auroras will be around tomorrow ' and my four year old say.."you mean the aurora borealis".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Smart cookie you got there Metro :D

My partners daughter (12) was saying how nice her dads homemade soup is. She then proceeded to say that her mam tried to make the same one when she found out the kids liked it "...but hers was mank dad.." :p:D

Nearly wet myself laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

WARNING .....GRINNING PROUD MUM ALERT :D:D

Recieved my sons school report!!

1st year in secondary

4 A's
    5 B's
    2 C's

"is a asset to our school and a pleasure to teach"

Now he's milking it though lol looking to see what he can get outta me!:rolleyes:

Im dead chuffed :D

Ok i'll ssssh now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Not my child, but a friends 8 year old son (Josh)...

We were in the Leprachaun Museum, and the Seanchaí was telling us about the 'Rainbow room' which simulates the end of the rainbow. He mentioned how some children from some eastern European countries were terrified of this room and asked if we knew why.

Josh piped up and said "Because they believe that boys get turned into girls and girls into boys when they reach the end of the rainbow". The Seanchaí confirmed that this was actually correct, much to everyone's amazement.

We've no idea how he learned such an obscure piece of cultural information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I dont have a baby but my friend came over today with her beaut and now I smell like baby. She's only a month old but my ovaries skipped a beat. Several. I <3 this thread so I thought I'd share with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I dont have kids yet but my wife's niece (three and a half) came out with this cracker.

At Easter we didn't want to be giving her and her brother chocolate. As she's mad about painting etc, my wife got her a piggy bank that you decorate with paints and stickers. She gave it to her and her eyes lit up as she knew it was a piggy bank. Thought it was great. Then, when Grá explained that you decorate it yourself, her eyes went even wider and she said, "Wow, that's a really great idea Daw-nyah". I swear I nearly wet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Don't have kids myself, but my cousin's little one, E. is such a rascal.
    E. turned 3 a few weeks ago and got a bike for her birthday. At her party, one of her little friends was on her bike and E. started to make a fuss.
    My aunt came over to her and said 'it's nice to share your things, let X have a go on your bike"
    Little miss turns around and says in a posh accent (dunno where she got it from!) "but I don't like shaaaaaaring!" :pac:

Another time, she asked me to go outside with her and I said I would. She then proceeded to tell me "dont walk in the grass 'cause you'll get your shoes dirty". Then, when I happened to stray onto the grass she gave out to me!

I love little kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yesterday evening on the drive home Cillian (5) said 'Mammy you're a cave man'
    When I asked why I was told because I looked like one :eek:
    I pretended to be hurt and gave an impromptu lecture on name-calling to which he replied with superb aplomb;
    'Mammy I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the Mammy in my head!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe not 100% relevant to this thread, but.. got a Sesame Street Old School DVD from the website that sounds like a large river. 3yo LOVES it. and Mammy and Daddy like it too :) a lot better than the kids stuff on TV these days in our humble opinion! Spent a good portion of the last two days either singing "C is for Cookie" or hearing it on the voice in my head :pac:

Best thing about 1970s Sesame Street is no Elmo :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and now I smell like baby.

That sounds like a good thing until you get one of your own :pac: they don't smell so sweet with a full nappy! (not to mention the puking, weeing and worse on parent or whoever else is in range. All 3 at once if they can manage it...)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

We were in the supermarket and my daughter (8) said "Mom, would you like for me to hook you up?". I asked what she meant and (as I feared) she meant she wanted to get me a date. Imagine if I let my 8 year old go around the shop canvassing men for me. Morto!!

Later we were in the chemist and she walked over to the durex "love boxes" and began pointing out which ones she thought were prettiest.

If you don't know what they are... search%3Fq%3Ddurex%2Blove%2Bbox%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DiYS%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1120%26bih%3D666%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

The latest fad is my daughter insistently and repeatedly saying ' I want to see the pooh' when we're chaning her dirty nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My friend brought her 3 year old daughter over today and herself and my 20 month old son were playing happily...until my son accidently knocked her over:eek: :eek:Que screaming and crying. My little man looked shocked for a minute then walked over and gave her a big hug and put his little hand up to her eyes as if he was trying to wipe her tears away! So cute:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Every morning Caoimhes comes downstairs and makes her way to the front door. There is a big spider there every single morning waiting for her, she gets down on her belly and starts talking to him, gives him a big "Good morning Spider", i take her away for breakfast, she says "Bye Spider" and everytime, without fail after she says that, he/she runs off into the hole in the corner of the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My 2.5 year old isn't a great sleeper and I have really created a rod for my own back by just taking her into the bed with me when she wakes up in the night, so last night she woke as usual and she came into the bed with me...

I said to her "Can I cuddle you?"
    "No Mammy, you can't"
    "Can I hold your hand?"
    "No Mammy, can't"
    "Ok, can I rub your face then?"
    "Yes Mammy course you can!" and she took my hand and put it up to her face and closed her eyes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My 17 month old boy "singing" along to Randy Newman's Short People with me and wagging his finger at me on the "Don't want no Short People..." bit.

I'm not *that* short really!

I gave him the tickling of a lifetime over the cheek of it. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After an absoutely dreadful day in work I come home and have dinner and put kids to bed at 8. Three hours later and my daughter is still screaming her head off, kicking the doors, throwing stuff about and demanding to be cuddled to sleep. She eventually gets her way and drops off, only to wake up again at 3 and 5. Then at 7 she appears in with a bottle of milk and asks for breakfast with a huge smile and an expression that says "Well, I don't kow about you but I just had a great night's sleep."

• Administrators Posts: 13,978 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm currently toilet training my youngest. While out in the car today...

Him: Mammy, am I wearing a nappy?
    Me: No.. do you need to do a wee?
    Him: (very non chalantly!) No.. I did a poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

ash23 wrote: »
    We were in the supermarket and my daughter (8) said "Mom, would you like for me to hook you up?". I asked what she meant and (as I feared) she meant she wanted to get me a date. Imagine if I let my 8 year old go around the shop canvassing men for me. Morto!!

I swear my 15 month old daughter does that for me, everytime we go supermarket i put her in trolley and i'll be standing in aisle and if she even see a man she'll shout Heya then give them big smile and wave, if they pretend they don't hear her she'll do it louder. Its so funny as even the shy or grumpiest men aren't able to resist smiling and waving at her. She's going to be handful in her teens

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I swear my 15 month old daughter does that for me, everytime we go supermarket i put her in trolley and i'll be standing in aisle and if she even see a man she'll shout Heya then give them big smile and wave, if they pretend they don't hear her she'll do it louder. Its so funny as even the shy or grumpiest men aren't able to resist smiling and waving at her. She's going to be handful in her teens

That is so cute bulmersgal :D You'd better keep an eye on her going after the fellas already :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

bulmersgal wrote: »

you've said it before in other threads, but seriously i think we have the same child! My 15 month old daughter does the exact same thing. She also has a thing for beards.....
    Funny...so does mummy! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

My three-year-old spotted a shuttle-bus for a nearby old-folks home and said

"Can we take a ride on that bus?"
    "No, that's for old people and only goes to places old people like to go."
    "Is that the bus to Heaven?"

I nearly crashed the car.

Another day he was telling me about one of the guest teachers at his creche

"Miss McCann was at school today, Daddy"
    "The music teacher?"
    "No, Daddy, Miss McCann is the exercise teacher"
    "What exercises did she do with you?"
    "The Saxophone"

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

My little girl (15 months) is very affectionate. I was sitting on the bedroom floor trying to sort some paperwork this morning and she kept crawling up to me and giving me giant hugs and cuddles. I kept kissing her, and then tried to get her to return the favor. After a few unsuccesful attempts she got very cross with me, scowled and shouted in her garbled baby voice "NO KISSES!!!" Before crawling off again. Almost wet myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This :D Backing vocals provided by her 16 month old sister :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

A pillow fight :eek:

He is a lot bigger and stronger then me but my god was it funny :D

*he won btw :mad:*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spoon Fed

My two year old complains every time I wash her hands. She has a freckle on her thumb and is scared it will wash off.......every time.....makes me laugh

• Administrators Posts: 13,978 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Trying to get my 5 year old home yesterday from his friend's house started tears and a row..

Him: But I want to live here
    Me: If you lived here I'd be very very sad
    Him: Yeah - but I'd be very very happy

You wouldn't want to get too attached, would you?!

I was up with my 7 and a half month old early Sunday morning. She was scooting around the living room in her walker while mammy was resting on the sofa. Eyes shut for 1 minute, I look up and she is gone.

I jumped up, only to see that she had gone behind the sofa and was munching into a fist full of muck from a small tree we keep in a pot.:eek: Dirt smeared all into her hair and face with a big grin from ear to ear. I had to laugh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

19week old 'stole' the soother from his older brother and tried to put it on his own mouth. Much amusement all around and big brother let him do it again. I guess they both made me smile :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

We told our 2 year old that he's getting a new brother or sister, cue lots of kisses and shouting hello into my belly! Oh so cute!

I asked him a couple of hours later what was in mammy's belly and he said 2 babies. Oh how we laughed, until my scan last friday...guess who was right??!!

Advertisement