Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I was having dinner the other day, sitting at the island in the kitchen on a high stool. The little guy was on a stool next to me, and I was holding onto him to make sure he wouldn't fall, so I couldn't eat. My husband tried to distract him by asking him where his Thomas The Tank Engine train was, hoping he'd go looking for him and let us eat dinner for a few mins:

OH: 'where's Thomas?', 'Will you go and find Thomas', 'Do you know where Thomas is?'
    Son: 'Holidays'.

I swear, he's not 2 yet, but he's already as smartass.... :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

We brought our 2 year old to see Santa in Arnotts today. We were next in line and could see Santa. She informed us "he is just pretending to be Santa"
    I thought he was fairly realistic with real beard and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

The look on my daughters face yesterday when she realised she could put her own hat on and this morning when she copped it that she can walk around in her grobag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We were in Dublin last week and my daughter had a few euros left in her pocket she was saving them for something nice for on the train back home. We were walking up Henry street when we past a homeless man with his dog and rabbit, she walked past him and I said do you remember him (i gave him money when we were last in Dublin and told her his story) she said 'i know him from the tv, he jumped into the water to save his rabbit' she then ran back and gave him all the change out of her pocket. I showed her the rte video when we got back home.

She went without her treat on the train so he could have dinner. When something like that happens i know i raised a good hearted child, and a decent human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

As i was putting my nearly 3 year old to bed last night i asked her "how was your day" "It was very busy" She told me. "What were you busy doing" I asked " "Growing up Mammy. I did it all day"
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My 5-year-old daughter asked me yesterday what an astrophysicist does :eek:

I couldn't answer her, had to google.

(She heard it on "Ben and Holly"!)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ocy

Son 4 who is not good at getting up, I have to wake him every morning for creche at 7.20, brought him downstairs to get dressed, sitting on couch points at window and says "look its still dark, you shouldn't have got me up" in a very annoyed voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

No kids yet but I love this thread!

My almost 7 year old niece comes out with some crackers. Myself and the other half try to take her over night whenever we can and we bring her to the cinema and then McDonalds as a treat. Last time we had her we were in McDonalds and she says "Steph, truth or dare?" I said "Truth!" She looked at me for about 15 seconds, thinking very hard, and then says "I don't know that one, I only know dare. Pick again."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Overheard by Mrs. Orion:
    The twins have concocted a plan. They are going to hide the playroom on Christmas Eve and sleep in shifts. Then as soon as they hear us go up the stairs they will burst into the sitting room and see if the presents are laid out. Then they'll know that we're Santa!

I'm tempted to encourage them to do that. And while they're waiting for Santa to arrive downstairs lay our their presents in their bedroom instead :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Little dude refers to a snowman as a Mo-man.

I'm not sure why the image of a snowman with a big dirty handlebar moustache is so funny but it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 2 year old saw the snow and asked was it christmas eve:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Today my 8 year old informed me that the best way to get rid of a cold was to give it to someone else :) If only!

• Administrators Posts: 13,978 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

In a coffee shop today with my 3 year old when he asked, (quite loudly!) "Mammy, did you fart?". I said "No, I didn't" (trying to sound indignant.. ladies don't fart after all!!) And then he just said, "Oh yeah....... it was me"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My 20month old girl got upfrom her nap today to find a christams tree in the sitting room. She ran around it singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY.... Im guessing she does not understand the birth of The Baby Jesus, so she s prpbably a bit confused:D, (But her Nana will defo think Yes of course she is that clever)

This is a great thread loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Mini rose was trying to convince me to drop making the dinner and crack open a bottle of bubbles for him. Being all coy he started saying that 'bubbles make me happy mammy.'

Trying to be smart I tried to distract him by asking him what else makes him happy-I got the usual- Dora,Peppa, chocolate etc.

I asked him what he thought makes me happy (Hoping for something along the lines of 'Me! I make you happy')...........'Cleaning' was his reply.....:o

I need to get me a life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Waiting the local health clinic for a development check with my younger child - theres a very muscular, shaven headed security guard checking that doors are locked around the waiting area - my very loud 3 year old son pipes up "Look Mammy...its Mr Muscle!" cue laughter from everyone in the waiting area, then my son adds "He's GORGEOUS!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Little fella discovered a new word yesteday... Fork! Of course he pronounces it Fock....

LF: *points at my fork* Fock
    Me: Its Fork
    LF: Yes... Fock
    Me: No, it's FoRRRRRRk
    LF: FOOOOOOCK
    Me: No... RRRRRRRRR FoRRRRRRRRRRK
    LF: *looks at me like I'm stupid* FOOOOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK
    Me: Have a spoon
    LF: Spoon, spoon, spoon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

stephen_k wrote: »
    Little fella discovered a new word yesteday... Fork! Of course he pronounces it Fock....

LF: *points at my fork* Fock
    Me: Its Fork
    LF: Yes... Fock
    Me: No, it's FoRRRRRRk
    LF: FOOOOOOCK
    Me: No... RRRRRRRRR FoRRRRRRRRRRK
    LF: *looks at me like I'm stupid* FOOOOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK
    Me: Have a spoon
    LF: Spoon, spoon, spoon

Try him on "clock".

Hours of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

When my middle boy was 2 he couldn't say burger its was fcuker and he would be announcing in mcdonalds 'Mommy's fcuker, daddies fcuker, waties fcuker (wattie's being his sister) my fcuker'. took a whole 9 months before he could say burger. He loved burgers and if someone asked him what he wanter he would reply 'fcuker' wish we had the iphone back them to record it... was priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

My 2 and a half year old finished for christmas in Creche today.

we got a massive bundle wrapped up and were told to sit down together later and open it,

when we did we discovered it was all her artwork from the past term and its amazing, :D there was a placemat she made with a gorgeous photo of her in the middle for christmas, :) she even made us a painted pasta frame for a photo of her they took at the christmas concert! :D

i have never felt so happy or as proud before in my life i cannot stop smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

we were writing santa letters today and my 5yr old finished his and decided that his little brother needed a letter too so he drew a teddy, reindeer and book on a letter so the 9mth old would also get pressies. melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

My son scored two goals in a soccer match. Nearly got his hat trick too but for a good save by the keeper after he beat the last defender. Haven't stopped smiling all day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

My nephew wishing everybody he meets a 'happy Christmas tree'-slightly confused :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

My 6 year old got her ears pierced today, she had been adament up to this she didn't want them pierced and i was only too happy to oblige, but today decides she wants them done... Get them done, and there are a few tears but none shed...
    We are sitting having a cuppa afterwards to calm mammys nerves and the following conversation ensues between daughter (6) and Son (4) and Me...

D: Mammy, I love having my ears pierced, but why can i only have 1 earring in each ear??
    Me: When you are an adult, you can have as many earrings as you like...:D:D
    Son: When I am an adult, I am going to have earrings EVERYWHERE..... oh... boys don't wear earrings, do they?
    D: of COURSE they do, daddy has an earring...
    Me: When you are an adult, you can have an earring like daddy
    Son: when i am an adult, i'm having earrings EVERYWHERE.... (with a smug grin!)

Oh HELL.... WHAT am i in for??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Havin a absoulute ****e time of it at the moment, work is crap, grandfather was given 6 months max, I have to put the dog down tomorrow and my wife just got out of hospital after back operation and is completely laid up and god love she can do nothing with the boys and thats killing her.

Was giving them both a bath last night and took my 3 nearly 4 year old out of bath was drying him off and he just says "I love you daddy your the best daddy in the world" well my eyes welled up and I fought so hard to keep the tears back and just squished him with a hug.....then the staw that broke the camels back.......brought the 20 month in to dress him after bath and as he's standing up and i'm wrestling him to put on his sleep suit he just stops stares at me puts his littles arms around my neck hugs me and gives me 5/6 kiss's on the neck.....he never shows affection.....I put him them to bed, went down and lay beside lucy, my dog, and balled my eyes out!!!!

I woke up this morning and just thought fock it I really am so lucky to have 2 amazing sons and have not stopped smiling all day. Prob the best I have felt in so long.

Thanks boys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's amazing how kids can just 'know' when something is wrong...when you need really that hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Rasco, im a big sap...reading that has made me well up myself! You sound like you have a beautiful family! Despite the tough times, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hacked wrote: »
    Rasco, im a big sap...reading that has made me well up myself! You sound like you have a beautiful family! Despite the tough times, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas :)

Me too

I have a nearly 2 year old and a nearly 3 year old running around the house being reindeer because I gave them antlers,the nearly 1 year old is in stitches laughing at them and jumping up and down very excited from the safety of the play pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Me too

I have a nearly 2 year old and a nearly 3 year old running around the house being reindeer because I gave them antlers,the nearly 1 year old is in stitches laughing at them and jumping up and down very excited from the safety of the play pen.

you house sound crazier then mine! the 3yr old orders the 5 yr old to play horsey and then rides around on his back and the 10mht old tries to crawl after them.
    10 mth old has discovered that if he pulls the table cloth he can get whatever is on the table to him. he had some tea, the 3 yr olds weetabix, a visiting childs fish finger, the 5 yr olds ribena and a cookie today. he is a little scamp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My little3yr old boy (whose speech was very slow) and 8 yr old sister, went to see santa yesterday, santa asked him what his name is, "he replied I am Tommy, it's nice to meet you", you could have knocked us down with a feather.

Every year santa locks the doors to the christmas tree, and leaves a letter on the door that they are to eat their breakfast before they can get to their presents. Once they eat a good breakfast I don't stress about what else they do or don't eat for just one day as they do get a lot of sweets from the grandparents.

My little girl has just asked if they can eat their breakfast before they go to bed. It reminded me of d'unbelieveables - eating breakfast tonight, so they can have a clear run of the day tomorrow!

Advertisement