Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭deisemum

boobar wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but when I saw it, I just wished she wouldn't grow older and would stay 6 forever, where she'll be innocent and never have to worry.

I was once told by someone with older children than mine that 5 - 10 year olds were the easiest as they were old enough to do a lot of things for themselves such as getting dressed, feed themselves unaided and old enough to bring to places and behave yet before the attitude stage. I would agree with that in the main but all stages bring big pluses and challenges.

My lads are in their late teens and that brings plenty of pluses despite how teenagers are usually portrayed and it's lovely to see them maturing and getting an insight into the type of adults they're becoming plus I'm enjoying a lot more free time for myself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My boyfriend's son likes to open every cabinet/drawer/the dishwasher etc. in the kitchen and we have just moved in so we haven't gotten around to fully child-proofing yet. We are constantly saying, "No, don't do that!" or "Please close that door!".

Anyway a few evenings ago we were in the kitchen. I was sitting at the table opposite him and he started opening a drawer which was about level with his face so when he opened it, he couldn't see me.

"No! Close the drawer, please!" I said to him.

He ducked under the drawer so he could see me and shouted "BOO!"

It was the first time he understood that you have to hide behind something and then pop out before you shout because usually he'd just stand in the middle of a room or whatever and say "Boo!"

He was delighted and it was very cute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My baby cracks me up most days. Lately she has taken to pointing accusingly at everyone and everything. We were in town yesterday and I had her in the carrier and we were heading for the lift in the car park. The door was about to shut as we came along so a kindly man stuck out his leg and it opened for us. I thanked him and when I looked up from finding my ticket in my bag she had fixed him the most serious glare and was pointing straight at the poor man.

Last night my husband had her lying on the bath mat to wrap her in her towel when she caught sight of my bare feet and took off like a wriggly little naked worm to attack my toes.

She is currently sitting on the kitchen floor bopping along to Britney Spears 'Toxic'. Every time she hears the intro she goes nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

you wonder sometimes do they have a sixth sense?

my 5 year old just came in dressed up in her rapunzel costume and asked if i thought Santa would bring her the Elsa costume,

It made me smile because after spending months (since January when she saw the movie) searching many different Disney stores in the US and in Disneyland Paris, my husband is at this very moment driving back to Cork after driving to the Disney shop in Dublin to buy the official dress for her for Christmas! :)

i think the wait to see her face light up will be harder for me than her wait till Christmas somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

I suppose i was having one of those bad mummy days, and I started to break down everything was going wrong. Anyway my 17 month lg came in and she looked at me rubbed my face and said "nice mummy" and gave me a kiss :) it was perfect timing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

annettea wrote: »
    I suppose i was having one of those bad mummy days, and I started to break down everything was going wrong. Anyway my 17 month lg came in and she looked at me rubbed my face and said "nice mummy" and gave me a kiss :) it was perfect timing :)

Oh that is so so sweet! <3 Little pet!

Hope things are going better for you now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Baby Merkin is smiling for real and it's just amazing. He's only a month old today and has been doing it for the last few days. I thought it could be wind but he's been doing it quite a bit and it's when I interact with him by sitting him facing me and making eye contact and chatting. I'm just treated to big gummy loveliness, its adorable. He hasn't done it for hubby yet but I sat him in front of me earlier and chatted like I do to invoke a smile and he did it on demand........TWICE! He's just gorgeous!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Merkin wrote: »
    Baby Merkin is smiling for real and it's just amazing. He's only a month old today and has been doing it for the last few days. I thought it could be wind but he's been doing it quite a bit and it's when I interact with him by sitting him facing me and making eye contact and chatting. I'm just treated to big gummy loveliness, its adorable. He hasn't done it for hubby yet but I sat him in front of me earlier and chatted like I do to invoke a smile and he did it on demand........TWICE! He's just gorgeous!:)
    Mine started at about that age, never during the day, but always at 3 in the morning when I'd put him down after a feed. He'd just open his eyes, look up at me, give me a big smile and go off to sleep. It really was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I was watching a little bit of Albert Reynolds funeral at lunch time when my 8 year old remarked -

"He must have been a very important man if Davy Fitzgerald is at his funeral".

She has a habit of mixing up Michael D Higgins and Davy Fitz's names lol :D Hey, who can blame her, both are short in stature, have Clare connections and speak with distinctive accents.

He was playing with a rattley toy that had a mirror on it, and he kept trying to jam his soother into the mouth of the baby he saw in the mirror! So funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I was watching a little bit of Albert Reynolds funeral at lunch time when my 8 year old remarked -

"He must have been a very important man if Davy Fitzgerald is at his funeral".

She has a habit of mixing up Michael D Higgins and Davy Fitz's names lol :D Hey, who can blame her, both are short in stature, have Clare connections and speak with distinctive accents.

Now that made me laugh! Hilarious that Davy is such a known name in your household too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I asked my daughter this evening "how old are you?"
    Proud as punch she answers "2 ears old!" while pointing to her ears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Got up yesterday morning at 7am. (this is great, better than 5) went in and opened baba's blind and turned on his mobile, this normally keeps him happy for a bit. then brought 2 year old in to the toilet. then out she marches grabs my hand and says "now back to bed mammy", while pulling back the duvet for me to get in. so i said hang on and ill get your brother, knowing she only wanted to climb in with us for cuddles, to which she replies "ill get Cookoo (she cant say Luke so that her nickname for him) you back to bed mammy"

at least she knows when its sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

It didnt make me smile, but the lady across the aisle on the train did. looking out the window of the train our wee man sees some cows & sheep. he points them out so we ask what does a cow say & a sheep say, he replies "Moo, steak" & baaa, mint sauce"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Our 5 year-old was half listening to the news this morning when the newsreader was talking about Ukraine and the Russian president.

She said, "Ooh! He said poo!"

We had to explain through giggles that was just part of his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I nearly cried laughing at Baby Merkin earlier. I keep his little Moses basket with me downstairs during the day so he can be in the midst of everything. I was having a cup of coffee earlier and the little dote was asleep beside me, arms up over the head, snoring contentedly. Next thing I know, a tiny likkle leg is raised up in the air and he lets out a ripper of a fart that would put a grown man to shame, I couldn't stop laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

thats quality, our wee man breaks one off and shouts fartie fartie so who ever is around gets a heads up!. its great on a packed train going home in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Don't you love it when your 5 year old demands you stay in bed on a sat morning and he will make you breakfast. Ok using 2 litres of milk is mad but he is so sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

My little fella
    "I want to put my shoes on as my boobies are sore"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Completely ruined from laughing at our three yr old in his brothers old dalek costume after dr. Who tonight. He was delighted with it and has a new word for his playtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

When I was rubbing her back as she was going asleep, she reached around to grab my hand. I nearly melted <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My 2.5 year old is becoming such a clown!
    Now he knows all the farm animal noises but if you ask him what they say, he'll say "moo" (no matter what the animal) and have a big laugh to himself!
    Also, the other day I was playing ping pong with his cousin while he watch us. I missed the ball and went to get it, his cousin then hid under the table, I pretended to be all surprised, and said to him "Oh where's your cousin gone?" and he put a smirk on his face and pointed in the total opposite direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

started potty training 2 yr old about 3 weeks ago. Going very well. we always praise her when she goes.

Anyway we were out walking today and she needed to go. No toilet near so we hid in the tress and i held her in a squatted position. i was trying to encourage her so i said "doing wee's in the tree's like shep" (our dog)

So she went and all was fine. Continued on walking and met some other people with young kids and out she pipes "i do wee's in the tree's"

Then this evening she went out to the toilet after OH and when he was done and flushed she says " well done daddy" followed by a big clap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

11 month old learned to wave literally today. You've never seen anyone wave as hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

We have a big white bin in our kitchen and any time Duke, 20 month old, goes near it or tries to open it, I say "Yuck!" or "Yucky!"
    I don't know why but I always did it in quite a loud, high-pitched voice and now he points at it himself and says "YUUUUUUCK!" really loudly. Anyway this morning we were shopping and in the homeware part of the store, he saw a lady picking up a bin just like ours and he points at her and at the top of his voice shouts, "YUCK EW YUCKY!" and then looks at me and starts clapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭yamiki

I had the day off yesterday and spent it entirely with my 1 year old - she got her 12 month shots in the morning, did very well, and then slept for 2 hours. When she woke up, we had a little tug-of-war with her blankie - she was in stitches laughing, and my heart just burst with love for this little girl.
    And when you ask her 'who's the best girl?', she answers 'mama' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My 3yo grandson had his hand down the back of his pants, when suddenly he shouts, I've a hole grandad I've a hole.

My baby gets a written report sent home with him from creche every day. Included in yesterday's report - "This week's theme is the colour red. He held a red crayon in his hand and we tried to show him how to use it. He was more interested in eating it!"

That's my boy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My 4 year old says to me when his 2 year old brother went off down the road on his bike,
    'That boy sure gets around !' :D
    Today when i was sitting on the couch with him watching a movie, (I'm 30 weeks pregnant)
    Me 'wow, look at mammy's fat belly'
    4year old ' that's not fat mammy, it's just lovely and round' .... melted my heart:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Our back door is in the extension, bubs was in there looking out at the birds and I was in the kitchen and I turned around and bubs is standing in the doorway, not a bother on her, then walks over to me. Continued to walk around for the whole night thrilled with herself :D no stopping her now!

Advertisement