Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I got a very stern, "What are you doing, young lady?" off my four-year-old son earlier (when he caught me eating some of his spaghetti hoops.)

Young lady! :D:D:D

My son loves standing on my bathroom scales and he reads out the numbers ... I just realised today that he thinks it's measuring his shoe size (like the machines in shoe shops), not his weight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Is getting them back to school the wrong answer:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

5yo started school today.
    How was it, I go.
    Best day ever.
    Tell me the names of the girls in your class.
    Eh, I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Put my little girl into the car after creche today. She farted thwn tuened her bum in my direction and says "do you want to smell my fart, go on"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Watching the Pope on tv my 7 yr old asks 'where is the pope from', Argentina says I
    'Well he must be very disappointed with Messi'
    Had to agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Son came home from school and said that one of the girls in his class went to 'Potato Park' at the weekend.
    Last year he said someone was out sick with 'Romania'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We've started letting our daughter watch short kids programs, and one that is a hit on Netflix is "Hey Duggie" (animated show where Duggie (a dog) is a scout leader to 5 children). It's quite a cute show actually. Well at the end of each of the episodes the kids all give Duggie a "Duggie hug" before going home. This now triggers our daughter to give US a big "Duggie hug". We now mostly watch the show for the hugs we get at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Our girl watches Daniel tiger on Netflix. They do a thing that they call 'ugga mugga', which is basically an Eskimo kiss. Our girl has started to do it randomly, even when she's not been watching the cartoon, and it's the best thing!

We got 2 breaks today in school. I was even able to eat all my lunch! The day was pushed out from 12 to 1:45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

scarepanda wrote: »
    Our girl watches Daniel tiger on Netflix. They do a thing that they call 'ugga mugga', which is basically an Eskimo kiss. Our girl has started to do it randomly, even when she's not been watching the cartoon, and it's the best thing!

You know how he sings songs with lessons in them. My 3 yr old has started using these against us! So she'll go (if you've seen the show you'll know the tune) sometimes you can take things off your baby brother, and that's ok. Or sometimes you can have two biscuits, and that's ok. You get the picture. It craics me up how their imagination works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ah stop! That's so funny! I don't know how you can keep a straight face!
    Its amazing how much they pick up! Madam has taken a shining to a doll the last few weeks and is all about 'the babies' when she has the doll with her. She's getting it from the episodes where Margaret is born. She also loves dancing, and has picked up some of Catherinas moves and does a ballerina spin with her hands up in the air (you know the one where one hand is straight up and the other bends over the head), and it's so funny as she keeps doing it till she's dizzy and falling about like a drunk!
    She's also not great for eating dinner foods, so now, every meal she has is 'tiger' this and that. It's working to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Told our little girl that I am pregnant last weekend, when I was leaving her today she, out of nowhere kissed my belly...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Some lovely posts here :)

My 6 year old didn't want to go to school this morning and I was consoling her. Then my extremely knowledgeable 3 year old piped up with some advice..she said "you don't go to school. You do go to school" :confused: and the 6 year old dived on her and gave her a big hug. The little one then looked at me and said "am I the best" :D

The 3 year old told me she wanted a house that we were passing by this morning walking back from the school because it "looks fun". I told her maybe she can buy it when she's older. She said she'll buy it with her sister. Then she thought about it and said "and bring it home? It will be heavy. You'll have to help me lift it" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Three year old has started sighing and very dramatically saying “oh daddy you’re such a pain in the bum” - cracks me up every time.

Also we listen to the Hamilton sound track in the car a good bit and there’s one line she has taken to and repeats.... of course it’s “if you talk you’re gonna get shot” :/

On seeing my black-and-white skeleton-themed manicure, my son goes "I hate it, your nails look silly. Go for French style next time." No idea how he even knows what a French manicure is, I never get them, he obviously has classier taste than me! I thought he'd love the Halloween nails! :D

Kids are nuts.

My four year old seems to be a little apprehensive about Hallowe'en, so my wife and I tried to get him a little more excited. We asked him if he could dress up as anyone, who would he like to dress up as. He answered Batman, so off we went and got him a Batman outfit. He tried it on Saturday, and has asked to wear it every day.

Anyway, long story short, he hid behind a door yesterday evening, jumped out at me in his full Batman outfit. So I pretended to cower in fear. "It's okay Batman, I'm a good guy".

He took off the mask, "it's okay Daddy, you don't need to be afraid, it's me <boy's name>!"

Kids are nuts. But hilarious.

Family day out to the Arás. Getting the low down off the tour guide. Bla bla bla. Any questions he asks.
    Half pint asks who was the best president.
    Cue, a few giggles.

2 rooms later, any questions.
    Half pint asks how many piano's are in the house.
    More giggles.

In The president's office, same thing, any questions.
    Half pints asks when are we going to meet his dogs!

He was fierce dissapointed on the bus out, when he heard Michael wouldn't be showing us around his house. He wanted to know could we call back and make an appointment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My neighbours' eldest grandchild strikes again. :D A few nights ago he was put to bed but couldn't settle, so he started roaring "MAMMY MAMMY MAMMY COM'ERE!!!". So his mother went in, and asked him what was wrong. He said, "I'm afraid of nonexistent things!!". His mother sighed and replied,"But F., you know that if things are nonexistent they do not exist, so how can you be afraid of them?". So he replied, "Mam, I'm only a child, you know I can't be rational!". I swear, this kid isn't 6 yet, and it's like talking to a real-life Calvin. :pac:

(Those big words were his, BTW, I was't paraphrasing). :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My little girl (2) has a habit of going up to complete strangers, getting their attention and then pointing at me saying 'My Daddy'. Q an awkward moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

She's showing you off! :)

Not anything in particular, but I find it fascinating watching their language develop. Some words and phrases that make perfect sense:

"I'm leaking blood" / "I'm blooding"

Kiddo: "I'll shoot you with my gunnen"
    Confused parent: "What's a gunnen?"
    Kiddo: "A small cannon."
    Parent: "Okay, what's a cannon."
    Kiddo: "A reeaaaally big gunnen."

Personal favourite:
    Parent: "Oh, somebody left their books on the floor."
    Kiddo "Whobody did it?"
    (Makes perfect sense; somebody, nobody, anybody... whobody!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    My little girl (2) has a habit of going up to complete strangers, getting their attention and then pointing at me saying 'My Daddy'. Q an awkward moment
    New Home wrote: »
    She's showing you off! :)
    Enjoy it. In about ten years she'll be disowning you and asking you to drop her off round the corner so no one sees you :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Enjoy it. In about ten years she'll be disowning you and asking you to drop her off round the corner so no one sees you :pac:

I'm not one for the child lock, but if my lad ever starts up like that, I may just change my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

:Our boy (13month) farted and then laughed at it this morning......I guess I can cancel that DNA test now, theres no doubting it, hes definitely my son :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Our little 17 month old was admiring my glasses yesterday. We mentioned how 'Daddy Pig' also had them. She crawled away, got her Peppa book, opened it to a page with Daddy Pig and pointed out his glasses. I'm really enjoying watching her development and seeing associations grow.

She's not walking yet but standing up a lot more now, to the point that she'll do it on command. The look of amazement on her face when she does it is absolutely priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭appledrop

My 2 year has discovered tantrums. In fairness he is good most of the time but has a wobble now and then. We were out shopping + he decided he had enough. During the tantrum with arms going he hit me+ I explained to him calmly as we do that 'In our house no one hits anyone and we use our words if we are angry instead of hitting' He replied 'We are in the shops not in our house':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

She's started walking (almost 18 months old). She was practicing standing up in the kitchen on Tuesday and then took 4 thought out steps towards Mam. Apparently she took 4 more in a shopping centre yesterday.

Missed both times though as I was in work. Delighted for her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

She's started walking (almost 18 months old). She was practicing standing up in the kitchen on Tuesday and then took 4 thought out steps towards Mam. Apparently she took 4 more in a shopping centre yesterday.

Missed both times though as I was in work. Delighted for her though.

your first time seeing those steps is all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

your first time seeing those steps is all that matters

This!
    Our childminder has said it happens all the time that she’d see babies take their first steps but say nothing to the parents. Then they’d come in some day and announce delighted with themselves that the baby had taken their first step.

Advertisement