Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Totally amazed 4 year old this morning....

"My teacher said that in the olden days, phones had real buttons on them instead of pictures of buttons. Is that TRUE???"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

pwurple wrote: »
    Totally amazed 4 year old this morning....

"My teacher said that in the olden days, phones had real buttons on them instead of pictures of buttons. Is that TRUE???"

LOL

No teacher, in the "old" days they had dials, not buttons.

Feeling old right now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Operator, number please, it's been so many years..." ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My young lad asked me to rewind the radio in the car because he wanted to listen to the song again.

He was astounded when I explained it wasn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

After getting his injections today, "I hate getting noodles in me ... they hurt too many" <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My girl is 2, and we are trying to instill some manners in her. Over all she's not to bad, but she lacks in her pleases! Anyway we have stopped telling her what word is required and have started asking her where her manners is.

The other day she was asking for something but wasn't saying please, so I asked her where her manners were. Well she looked at me, then looked up and down turning around in a circle saying manners 'where are ouuuu?' she didn't find them in that instance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

haha, that reminds me of something that happened last night. My son was playing with a model railway setup under the Christmas tree. But he wasn't running enough current through it, so the train wasn't moving. Told him he needed some more juice, so he went over to the other side of the room to get a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Our 2 year old has sort of picked up on the concept of counting and numbers, except it's always "1, 2, 6, 9, 10". Anyway, in the mornings where we live there is always a massive flock of crows (hundreds) that fly past at dawn. Anyway, there she is the other morning trying to count them as they fly by "1, 2, 6, 9, 10" :p ... then she asked for me to starting counting too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

I was very impressed with my 2 year old sons counting the other day. He was watching Team Umizoomi and I asked him how many birds there was and after a slight deliberation he said 6 which was correct. I went off telling everyone that I had a little maths whizz kid and how he was able to count in his head and didnt need to count out loud.

Just to give myself another little boost I asked him something similar a few days later. There was 4 of something and I asked him how many there was and his answer was....... 6

Better to be lucky than good I suppose!!

I just overheard him saying to his grandad, "I never forget to say please, coz my mammy says that manners are so important, and my mammy knows everything." <3

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great day yesterday. We were heading down to the farmers market, and the kids had swapped the small coins for bigger ones, less coins in the pocket. I explained that it would be nice if they donated a portion of their savings to the people who would be raising money for causes down there. Half pint gave a fiver to a local animal rescue, half his money, a Euro to a save the bee's box and another Euro to Naas Lion's. I couldn't believe how generosity.

Then we we watching all star family fortunes before bed. 100 people were surveyed, what bird prince Charles might eat on Christmas day. 6 people said Camilla. He looked at us, and asked what's a Camilla! Pet name for his wife I said. Now go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

4 yrs old was begging me to buy jurassic park DVD In Tesco this week, I thought it would be far too scary even tho he loves dinosaurs. Decided to let it play till t rex gets out and review from there. He fecking loved it not scared at all, no nightmares, braver than me!
    He actually said - those poor velociraptors! They won't let them in! Why do they keep shooting him, they are not nice! Yay t rex saved the day! Hes really nice.
    Me: do you not remember he squashed them.in the car?
    4: yeah but he was just hungry and playing, that's not his fault they only gave him.a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

4 yrs old was begging me to buy jurassic park DVD In Tesco this week, I thought it would be far too scary even tho he loves dinosaurs. Decided to let it play till t rex gets out and review from there. He fecking loved it not scared at all, no nightmares, braver than me!
    He actually said - those poor velociraptors! They won't let them in! Why do they keep shooting him, they are not nice! Yay t rex saved the day! Hes really nice.
    Me: do you not remember he squashed them.in the car?
    4: yeah but he was just hungry and playing, that's not his fault they only gave him.a goat.

I was nine years old (1993) and I couldn't understand why my dad was so keen to go to the cinema! "you'll like this film, it's about dinosaurs". Good enough for me says I! I had only been to the cinema two or three times prior to that so this was a massive novelty (we were dirt poor). Saw it in The Square in Tallaght. I left the cinema sure that i had witnessed the greatest cinematic achievement of mankind to that point. My dad was in my good books for a very long time after that and for months afterwards when my dad would come in from work I would be like 'hey dad, remember when the T-Rex bit your man in half'!
    These are good memories. My dad is elderly now and my mom is dead. I'd be lying if I said I have a great relationship with him but I hold that up as a lovely memory.

We were in the restaurant in IKEA today, and my son pointed over to the nursing area and said to me, "I'm just going over to see what's in there." I told him not to, I explained that it was a space for mammies to feed their babies and that they might prefer to have privacy. (He regularly sees his baby cousins being breastfed, so I presumed he knew what I meant.)

Leaving the restaurant, we passed a man bottle-feeding his baby, and my son goes to him, really condescendingly, "You know, you COULD go in there for some privacy while you're doing that", pointing at the nursing area.

Poor man didn't know how to respond! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

treated the little man to a hot chocolate (well bribed but shh) today as he co-operated really well in his speech language class - which he is generally adverse to.
    but you know that absolute chocolatey moustache and cheeky grin only a toddler can give you ...got it in droves while we sat & enjoyed the moment. on a side note this was the first yr he actually got the whole santa thing and we are the most visited house by santa as apparently next door's yard light (which has always! been there) is santa flying by...every.night.still. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MichaelJD

I really don't have a kid yet. But my neighbor has four small boys that come to my house every weekend for a visit. I feel like I have a family when they are around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Half pint only found 1 glove before going to school. And wore it. Said if the other hand gets cold, he'll just swap it over. I left him at it. Must get that from his mother's side of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The two year old persists in singing Jingle Bells several times a day. Do I intervene and explain that Christmas is over and the song is no longer appropriate?
    Hellllllll no! I encourage it and sometimes join in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Bassfish wrote: »
    The two year old persists in singing Jingle Bells several times a day. Do I intervene and explain that Christmas is over and the song is no longer appropriate?

Rudolph the red nose reindeer has replaced twinkle twinkle as the bedtime lullaby here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

So the 2.5 yr old was wrecking the 5 yr olds train tracks. He comes running into me squealing at me to remove the little one. I'm trying to get him to communicate better as the younger one understand everything so I say tho the 5yo ' talk.to him like your friends in school, what would you say to them?' Thinking he'd tell him he was sad and ask to help fix them. I hear a bit of chat think all's going well then,
    2yo - no! Let me go!!!
    5yo - I'll let you go when you say sorry!
    2yo sheepish - sorry.....
    5yo - great let's play trains!

I don't think that's what teacher does.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The other day had my nephew (4.5) in the car with my son (5). My son was surprised to find out my nephew listens to rap music, so my son turned to him and said "I listen to HEAVEY METAAALLL!"

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Bassfish wrote: »
    santa is still visiting our gaff EVERY night at bedtime - just to check he's keeping up with the good behaviour. ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My 4 year junior infant was saying he didn't want to do a writing task at school today. I told him he was good at writing so didn't need to worry.
    He said it was 'infinity writing' and takes all day.
    I asked him what is infinity and he said 'more than a million'.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

I arrived home last night just before bedtime to see that my wife had rearranged my 6 year old daughters bedroom. I normally read a couple of pages of a book with her every night and when I couldn't find the book that we are currently reading; I asked her did she know where it was?

Her response was; "No, Mammy made a balls of all my books"

Mammy was not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I got home and opened the back door to let the dogs out to the toilet and went to put awaiting some things. Next thing I heard the toddler chitter chatting to the dogs and calling them inside. When I arrived back into the kitchen, the dogs were in, door closed, with the toddler in the process of telling the dogs to sit down with a treat in each hand waiting to give to the dogs.... I hadn't even seen the box of treats on the counter and I didn't think she was tall enough to reach up and take it down without spilling it all over the place. She had even put it back up onto the counter!

We were on the bus passing by a garage, and he pointed out a gold car and told me he was going to get it for me for Valentines Day.

"But I don't have enough moneys for it, so my daddy will have to give the garage-shopkeeper the moneys for it. And I'm not big enough to drive it, so my daddy will have to drive it to your apartment and put a big pink bow on it for you."

I'm sure his daddy will be only delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My 2 year old randomly singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star". Love isn't a strong enough word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    My 2 year old randomly singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star". Love isn't a strong enough word.

My 2 year old has Last Xmas from Wham stuck in her head for some reason and just sings 'this year to save me from tears I'll give it to someone special' over and over and over and over.

I was talking to my little boy about carnivores, omnivores and herbivores and was explaining that lions are carnivores as they only eat other animals but that we are omnivores because we eat vegetables and animals.
    He said 'we DO NOT eat animals!!!'
    'What about chicken?" I retorted.
    "That is food, not an animal" was his response.

He really loves animals. The poor guy willbe traumatised when he realises the truth .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He really loves animals. The poor guy will become a vegan when he realises the truth .

FYP. :o

The story of the child repeating the same sentence of Last Christmas reminded me of a little boy I saw when out shopping a good few years ago; he was sitting in his pram, holding up his little arm, and shouting over and over again, "...and beyoooond!" :D I loved that. :)

Advertisement