Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My 7 year old is really smart.He said to me the other day "apparently" im a bad parent.Cause i wouldnt give him crisps:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I remember myself and my son went crab fishing years ago, he was 6 he's 18 now.

Anyhow I was going to use the crabs as bait for wrasse fishing later in the evening, wrasse live amongst the rocks, and crabs are a great bait.

So I explained that we'll keep the crabs for later in the evening and we'll catch some fish with the crabs.

He was horrified and rightly so, got all upset.

He asked me to put the crabs back into the water, I said "why Cian"

He looked at me and said " cause the quabbys will kwy" meaning the crabs will get upset and cry.

It was the way he pronounced crabs and cry in his child like way, and the empathy a 6 year old had blew me away...

I still remind him about it a few times a year.

He still loves animals and he's not a sjw or snowflake just a good teenager who gets up to the usual teenage things...

You have to love them....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

My wife was heading into town saturday morning and asked my 3 year old son would he like something nice, i.e a treat back, from town?

He answered yes and she asked him what would he like?

After about 20 seconds of deep thought and plenty of hmmms and aaaahs a light bulb went off in his head he came out with "A Quad"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

We were in the car and passed an election poster of this lovely young lad I fancy, and I sez to my sister (joking), "Oh look there's my boyfriend." My wee boy pipes up from the back, all affronted, "But mommy I thought I was your only boyfriend!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

After an argument with my six year old yesterday, he was finally calmed down and watching tv, he had a blanket over him but his feet were sticking out. I tucked his feet in and He gave me a gorgeous cute little smile, I was kinda laughing at him, and said so you still love me then.. he said deadly serious ... ‘Love you? Mammy, I’m obsessed with you’. Made my day to be honest, it’s the small things! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Our little girl is 3 next week and we asked her what she wants for her birthday.

An Easter egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Our little girl is 3 next week and we asked her what she wants for her birthday.

An Easter egg.

We happen to have a spare 'Tesco 3 for 5' egg unopened in case you're struggling to fulwill your daughter's wishes and are anywhere close to Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Our 2 year old had a bit of a runny nose this morning (molars coming up I think) so I said (to her) that I was going to give her some calpol for your nose. I poured some onto the spoon and held it out for her, again saying "this will help your nose"... she proceeds to try and dip her nose in the calpol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

josip wrote: »
    We happen to have a spare 'Tesco 3 for 5' egg unopened in case you're struggling to fulwill your daughter's wishes and are anywhere close to Dun Laoghaire.

We still have loads left over from Easter that we have been drip feeding for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My 3.5 yr old daughter is at the stage of saying what she sees at the top of her voice. So out shopping on Saturday and walking up an aisle through TKMaxx when we encountered a very hip bloke with ripped jeans so she exclaims "Mammy look, he's got broken pants!" :o

• Advertisement

Just put them to bed and was saying my goodnights

Me: Goodnight Son
    5yo: Good night Dad
    Me: I love you
    5yo: Love you too

As I was closing the door to leave I hear
    5yo: Daddy?
    'Yes" says I.
    5yo: Why do goats have beards?

HUH??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The innocence of kids. We sent ours to go in to say goodbye to our dog this morning before school. We were bringing her to the vet to be pts. She was off her food and hadn't eaten since Friday. Half pint went in and says, Mollie, you have to start eating again or you're gonna die.

When he got home, we said she went asleep in her bed and never woke up. Bless him anyway.

beertons wrote: »
    The innocence of kids. We sent ours to go in to say goodbye to our dog this morning before school. We were bringing her to the vet to be pts. She was off her food and hadn't eaten since Friday. Half pint went in and says, Mollie, you have to start eating again or you're gonna die.

When he got home, we said she went asleep in her bed and never woke up. Bless him anyway.

Ah God love him. How is he, was he upset?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ah God love him. How is he, was he upset?

Yirra, he was grand. Hasn't sunk in yet. He asked the teacher in school yesterday morning if they could say a prayer for her. But another lads goldfish died, so they'd say it the next day, today.

Sorry to hear Beertons. Tougher for you than the kid I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We've been a little worried about our 2 year old. She had/has low muscle tone which meant she was a little late to crawl/walk and now 2 weeks shy of being two she still isn't babbling or talking. At the last visit with the pediatrician in Temple Street he used the term 'severe speech delay' which didn't help.
    So we booked her in for a session with Arc Speech Therapy. Mam went last week for the initial appointment alone where she's asked questions about what our daughter is and isn't doing. She came out of the appointment somewhat reassured that things are fine as 'everything she's doing is a precursor to speech'.

Little one had the appointment yesterday and aced it. Apparently the level of what she knows is more akin to a 3 year old than a 2 year old and she knows it all in 2 languages rather than just one. All the social skills, eye contact etc came back as a 'thumbs-up' and we were told that she'll just talk when she's ready.
    The assessor was going through the usual show me your eyes, ears, toes and when her Mam said she knew her cheeks, eyebrows, neck etc- she said there was no point in continuing that test then.

Hopefully any follow-ups go just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

We've been a little worried about our 2 year old. She had/has low muscle tone which meant she was a little late to crawl/walk and now 2 weeks shy of being two she still isn't babbling or talking. At the last visit with the pediatrician in Temple Street he used the term 'severe speech delay' which didn't help.
    So we booked her in for a session with Arc Speech Therapy. Mam went last week for the initial appointment alone where she's asked questions about what our daughter is and isn't doing. She came out of the appointment somewhat reassured that things are fine as 'everything she's doing is a precursor to speech'.

Little one had the appointment yesterday and aced it. Apparently the level of what she knows is more akin to a 3 year old than a 2 year old and she knows it all in 2 languages rather than just one. All the social skills, eye contact etc came back as a 'thumbs-up' and we were told that she'll just talk when she's ready.
    The assessor was going through the usual show me your eyes, ears, toes and when her Mam said she knew her cheeks, eyebrows, neck etc- she said there was no point in continuing that test then.

Hopefully any follow-ups go just as well.

Fingers crossed. My son has a severe speech delay - DLD is the terminology used nowadays. Delayed Language Development. He's almost 5 and still only says Mama clearly. I had him at GP the week of his 2nd birthday as I just knew he wasn't right. It still took 5 months for an assessment and 9 months before he got speech language therapy. I'd strongly urge you to keep pushing for check ups as waiting lists can be crazy. We were waiting over 2 yrs for access to ENT to rule out any problems with his hearing/ears. Intellectually he is fine so like your child would have been able to point to everything. His understanding is spot on he just can't talk. Verbal dispraxia has also been mentioned to us.
    On the plus side for a guy with no speech he's a fab communicator and gives us great laughs and I can have plenty of "chats" with him with his miss mash of lámh, hand gestures & inntonations. Follow your gut as you know your child but hopes it all works out with no fuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fingers crossed. My son has a severe speech delay - DLD is the terminology used nowadays. Delayed Language Development. He's almost 5 and still only says Mama clearly. I had him at GP the week of his 2nd birthday as I just knew he wasn't right. It still took 5 months for an assessment and 9 months before he got speech language therapy. I'd strongly urge you to keep pushing for check ups as waiting lists can be crazy. We were waiting over 2 yrs for access to ENT to rule out any problems with his hearing/ears. Intellectually he is fine so like your child would have been able to point to everything. His understanding is spot on he just can't talk. Verbal dispraxia has also been mentioned to us.
    On the plus side for a guy with no speech he's a fab communicator and gives us great laughs and I can have plenty of "chats" with him with his miss mash of lámh, hand gestures & inntonations. Follow your gut as you know your child but hopes it all works out with no fuss!

That's the concern here too. Hopefully it's not the case but really only time will tell. I'm delighted you're finding communication relatively easy, that's a concern for me as she grows a little older and if no speech is forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Small man loves the "Sing" movie which he has watched a few times on Netflix. Yesterday we were in the garden with the radio on and an elton john song came on and he raced back inside. I didnt really pass much heed until he was gone for 30 seconds or so.

I followed him inside and he was pointing at the TV saying "pigs, pigs" (thats what he calls the movie because of the pigs in it?) he was thoroughly confused....

Is there a song in that about butts? My 2 have been singing it for weeks and blame Sing. Must watch it again.
    I love the little girl group in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is there a song in that about busts? My 2 have been singing it for weeks and blame Sing. Must watch it again.
    I love the little girl group in it.
    There is a collection of auditions that has some character singing "oh my god, look at her butt", i did have a giggle and think that kids of a certain age would find that hilarous.
    In the same set of auditions there is a snail singing "ride like the wind" which cracks up my boy for some reason, so he hasnt focused on the butt song yet :D:D

That is it haha

Hearing a 2 year old (copying her brother) chanting 'oh my God look at her butt' is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Our daughter (2.5) is the same. Sing has been #1 viewing for a while now. Listening to her break out spontaneously with "Oh my God, look at the butt" is the funniest thing ever.

In latest with the battle of the naps (she's currently transitioning to no day nap) any times she catches herself yawning she starts proclaiming "no yawn, no yawn" as if we hadn't noticed :)

We watched Sing again for our movie night on Saturday because of this thread. It's a very good film.

When you reach the limits of your knowledge and get yourself in too deep.
    Conversation this morning with my jnr infant on the way to school

Dad, what is the smallest planet?
    Me: Mercury I think.
    Jnr: Is there not one beginning with P?
    Me: Eh I don't think so (thinks for a minute naming all the planets). Oh is it Pluto you're thinking of?
    Jnr: Yes
    Me: OK well that isn't a planet anymore (starts to panic as I see where this is headed)
    Jnr: Why is it not a planet?
    Me: Well ehhh, I think ehhh predictable orbits or something like that? Or has it cleared its own orbit...... Let's look it up when you come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

When your 10 month old is licking everything in sight :)
    It's so funny ....... Favourite one is the inside of the tumble dryer door .... He looks like a goldfish

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

My daughter asked can she have a treat from the sex machine

Me : WTF!!!!!!

Turns out she was talking about a vending machine :D

We still had to have a chat mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just back from holidays and 3yr old has now decided that she wants to be a "plane driver" when she grows up because they get to go on all the holidays all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My grandson said his first word today.All gone.Ah

• Advertisement

There may be TMI below for some but

We were out at my sons Peter Pan performance when my 3 year old said she needed to wee.

So I brought her into the mens toilets and put her on the loo in a cubicle (while being aware that one of the others was occupied)

I turned around to use the urinal and then the sound effects started from the occupied cubicle.

Conversation
    Daughter (very loudly) He farted!!!
    Me sshhhh its ok. Just finish and we will go.
    Daughter (louder) Is he having a poo???
    Me yes sshhh now let's go.
    Daughter He is stinky. Yucky

Advertisement