Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast???

Options
  • 08-09-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

Where can you get yeast? Am thinking about making some pizza dough but dunno where I should be looking for yeast...And is there any in particular that work well for pizza dough?

Thanks

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Doomofman wrote: »
    Where can you get yeast? Am thinking about making some pizza dough but dunno where I should be looking for yeast...And is there any in particular that work well for pizza dough?

Thanks

E

get some instant yeast from tesco, supervalue or any other grocery store, they are usually where the flours are

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

no don't buy the instant yeast from tesco buy the yeast made by DCL. It look s like this http://www.dclyeast.co.uk/www.dclyeast.co.uk/DCL_Main/main_dried/driedyeasttin.gif.

The only place I've seen it is in the health shop on Georges Street beside Waltons. It's an active dried yeast but is a million times better than the ons fromn the supermarket!You will have to buy a big tub though, think it's about €5 but keeps fine if resealed and kept in the fridge. Makes fantastic bread too.

There are pizza yeasts but never seen them in Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use McDougalls dried yeast all the time and it works perfectly well. Most supermarkets stock it in the baking aisle.

it works fine but if you try the DCL yeast you will definitely be able to tell the difference. Give it a go and see

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

it works fine but if you try the DCL yeast you will definitely be able to tell the difference. Give it a go and see

What's the difference? Dried yeast is just Saccharomyces cerevisiae; unless you're using a sourdough I think that all yeasts are similar.

• Advertisement

ye just like Saccharomyces cerevisiae is "brewing yeast" but there are many different types with different characteristics, some better than others. You can make good stuff with the dried yeast from the supermarkets but with a better yeast the bread or pizza will be much better. Just my experience, buy them both and try yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I get Doves farm yeast in the little orange foil vacuum packs ( like a mini coffee pack) I have found it really good over the years and it keeps very well in the fridge.
    Fresh yeast is good as well but a little more hassle than dried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 apricotnelli

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I get Doves farm yeast in the little orange foil vacuum packs ( like a mini coffee pack) I have found it really good over the years and it keeps very well in the fridge.
    Fresh yeast is good as well but a little more hassle than dried.

I use the Dove yeast as well. I have used the McDougalls which works fine when first opened but seems to go off really fast. I hate the little foil packages inside the box. What normally happens is that I open one use about a quarter of it and as it is hard to reseal end up throwing out the rest a week later. The Dove package can be properly resealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

If you want to Use Fresh Yeast we stock (Dublin Food Sales) it and are also a Agent for the distribution.. It is €2.50 per KG..

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

Marceldesailly, Followed your advice and bought the DCL yeast but not sure how to use it :( How much do you use per 450g flour? Do you put it in dry or soak in liquid first?

• Advertisement

you use it just like the other dried yeasts.So add about a tablespoon to the flour. You can rehydrate it first if you want but I don't think it makes too much difference.

Advertisement