Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Happens When......

• 08-09-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

Due to the legally binding ruling by the courts, Microsoft will be shipping Windows 7 to Europe without Internet Explorer.

My question is,

How will users connect to the Internet in order to download a Browser of their choice?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

should come with a browser choice upon installation, but it can be done (with difficulty) through cmd i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    should come with a browser choice upon installation, but it can be done (with difficulty) through cmd i believe.

now this i would love to see - anyone got steps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tea_Bag wrote: »

What's the username & password Teabag :D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Due to the legally binding ruling by the courts, Microsoft will be shipping Windows 7 to Europe without Internet Explorer.

My question is,

How will users connect to the Internet in order to download a Browser of their choice?

-
    I'm guessing and hoping something like this will show up:

Capture.PNG

And remember, just because Internet Explorer isn't there, doesn't mean you can't get online. It's just a browser.

• Advertisement

What's the username & password Teabag :D

-
    im guessing its your username and pass for your profile, but cant be sure, not having tried cmd ftp myself. i also have no intention of trying, because it sounds tedious and difficult.

i think microsoft arent obliged to care, and nothing legally has to be supplied by them bar the OS. ill use a usb key if its a major problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It will come shipped with internet explorer, however upon first launch you have the option to install another browser from a list displayed, and also fully disabling internet explorer

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    It will come shipped with internet explorer, however upon first launch you have the option to install another browser from a list displayed, and also fully disabling internet explorer

Nick

I doubt that very much yoyo

"Likely being mindful of the ever-watchful eye of the European Union, Microsoft's announced its Euro version of Windows 7, affectionately and officially dubbed Windows 7 E, will not come packaged with Internet Explorer, or any other browser for that matter. Of course that's not the whole story, as OEMs will be provided free copies of IE8 to bundle themselves alongside / instead of other browser options, and consumers can pick up their own copies via CD, FTP, or retail channels. This is undoubtedly in response to the antitrust cases the EU keeps throwing Microsoft's way, and while we wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on almost every European computer sold, we do wonder if this will at all speed up IE's already rapidly diminishing share in the war of web browsers."

Courtesy: engadget

-

they're losing their share in the market (which is already overestimated because IE ships with windows as standard, making it almost impossible to monitor how much its used) because IE is absolute shuite.

however, i dont think the EU had a good enough reason to sue MS. of course they support their own brand?? who doesnt??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I doubt that very much yoyo

"Likely being mindful of the ever-watchful eye of the European Union, Microsoft's announced its Euro version of Windows 7, affectionately and officially dubbed Windows 7 E, will not come packaged with Internet Explorer, or any other browser for that matter. Of course that's not the whole story, as OEMs will be provided free copies of IE8 to bundle themselves alongside / instead of other browser options, and consumers can pick up their own copies via CD, FTP, or retail channels. This is undoubtedly in response to the antitrust cases the EU keeps throwing Microsoft's way, and while we wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on almost every European computer sold, we do wonder if this will at all speed up IE's already rapidly diminishing share in the war of web browsers."

Courtesy: engadget

-
    (1) Microsoft will make available a mechanism in Windows Client PC Operating Systems within the European Economic Area (EEA) that enables OEMs and end users to turn Internet Explorer off and on. If Internet Explorer is turned off, what the user considers as the web browser Internet Explorer, namely its browser frame window and menus (user interface), will not be accessible and will not otherwise launch programmatically.
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/eu-msft/docs/07-24-09Commitment.doc

Windows 7 will come with internet explorer, it has to have a functioning browser so it can download the latest versions of alternative browsers, that quote is from microsofts plans, microsoft will also roll out a update for xp & vista, which will offer the same option of turning IE off

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

apt-get :D

Seriously though while not a problem anymore considering the new decision it is possible to download firefox using only the command prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

apt-get :D

If only!

Even if you don't use it as your main browser it's always handy to have it installed as not all webpages work on the other browsers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well im not disagreeing with that but it also inflates their market share to something it might not be. while 100% of windows users have IE, some (if not many) use 3rd party browsers 98% of the time. When Firefox has 1/3 of the market (which its getting set to do) its working against itself, because those users running firefox have had to run IE at some point. I wouldnt be surprised if FF's real share was closer to half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

No need to run IE if you have the ie tab installed with firefox.
    I only use IE for banking as for some reason ie is the only browser which open24 allows???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Overheal wrote: »
    well im not disagreeing with that but it also inflates their market share to something it might not be. while 100% of windows users have IE, some (if not many) use 3rd party browsers 98% of the time. When Firefox has 1/3 of the market (which its getting set to do) its working against itself, because those users running firefox have had to run IE at some point. I wouldnt be surprised if FF's real share was closer to half.

This suggests FF has a higher share than IE. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Although it is a programmers site so the statistics might not be representative of the overall public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bman wrote: »
    This suggests FF has a higher share than IE. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Although it is a programmers site so the statistics might not be representative of the overall public.
    they may be pulling that from actual web hits, whereas microsoft and mozilla were counting overall downloads of the software, etc.

Advertisement