Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My video card overheating? Or..

• 08-09-2009 5:34pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a EVGA K0 8800GTS 320MB edition card, lately I've run into problems with games and even flash content. Basicly in games I can only play for around 10 mins then crash. I had Vista on before and used to get "This driver has stopped responding and recovered message" a few times but then I formatted Vista and tried Vista again.
    The problems I'm now having are freezing where the sound goes all funny and frame rates drop suddenly, I'm using Windows 7 now as I installed it thinking Vista was the blame, now I'm having the same freezing problem. Would be great if I knew which tempretures the card was reaching but it appears on 64bit OS's this isn't possible due to driver signing :rolleyes::rolleyes: and nvidia not beliveing this would be a useful feature.
    I opened up the machine and took out the card to inspect it and noticed the cooler was incredibly hot, the fan seemed to be working ok but it was definately hotter than what is used to be, not only that but its a custom cooler thing EVGA made so its massive and I think its fair to say the card is overheating.
    The likes of youtube, or any flash content actually can stutter, as I know flash uses gpu acceleration on occasions I guess this thing is nackered :( . Anyone any more bits of advice, or even ways I could possibly fix the bloody thing, not really in the position to be buying expensive card atm :(

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the 8 series cards have been... well, disastrous. custom cooling should have sorted your problem though. tis odd. contact EVGA, you may still be covered under your warranty - not sure about the 8800s but most 8 series cards had a terrible design flaw of some description and this caused all sorts of fuss up around 18 months ago. many pc builders issued extended warranties to cover the problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Overheal wrote: »
    the 8 series cards have been... well, disastrous. custom cooling should have sorted your problem though. tis odd. contact EVGA, you may still be covered under your warranty - not sure about the 8800s but most 8 series cards had a terrible design flaw of some description and this caused all sorts of fuss up around 18 months ago. many pc builders issued extended warranties to cover the problem.

Its just over 2 years old.. Not going to bother contacting EVGA (3 year warrenty doesnt apply outside US anyways), will order a GTX260 later tonite and a new power supply just in case that could have been causing the issiue aswell :rolleyes: , the psu i currently have is quite overloaded id say so its due a upgrade,

Cheers

Nick

Advertisement