Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Immersion Timer

Options
  • 08-09-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm hoping to wire a simple clock immersion timer between the immersion and the sink/bath on/off switch.
    They cable contains 4 wires (brown black blue yellow/green). I'm assuming they are a live for the sink imersion, a live for the bath immersion, neutral and earth.

Is it possible to just use the sink live, neutral, earth with the timer and leave the bath live connected. Will this work or is there a better way to do it?

The only place i can really put the timer is between the immersion and bath/sink switch.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

hi, the four wires you mention dont get wired int the timer , they stay connected to the immersion switch , you will see 3 wires connected to the switch (live , neutral , and earth ) they are the supply to the switch which you will use for the supply to the timer and then run another 3 core cable of the same size out of the timer to where the old cable was connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fdaved

Is it definitely not possible to place the timer between the sink/bath switch and the immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

you can do it, have done it myself, but was a while ago so bear with me. what i done was get the wire going to the immersion switch disconnected from the switch itself. then wire this to the timer, there should be instructions in the timer box as to where to wire into the timer. then get some flex wire (electrical wholesalers) and wire from the timer to the immersion switch. then all done. can be a bit fiddly and you will need to take the immersion switch off the wall. also make sure that you have switched off the immersion circuit at the elec board....SAFETY FIRST....infact if you want to be extra careful then turn off the main board switch.

hope this helps.

burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

fdaved wrote: »
    Is it definitely not possible to place the timer between the sink/bath switch and the immersion?

The correct way to wire your timer is as SULLZZ says.
    Going to the bath/sink switch is 1 live, 1 neutral and an earth. going from the bath/sink switch to immersion are 2 lives which only 1 will be live at any given time, either the bath or the sink feed to the immersion. It is pointless putting a timer on only the bath OR sink circuit. By following the advice from SULLZZ you will be able to time whichever circuit bath or sink you have on.

Advertisement