Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need Irish to Primary School Teaching

• 08-09-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hey guys,Sorry if this was posted somewhere else but ive just spent a half an hour searching and couldn't find what I was looking for.I'm thinking of doing Primary School Teaching.I've done my Leaving Cert a few years ago but only done Ordinary Irish.I'm now 23 years of age and thinking of applying as a mature student.Do I still need to re-sit the Irish?Also i was wondering if I will be accepted to St.Pats for the 3 year course or would I have to do the 4 years in Marino?Anyone be able to help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

You spent 1/2 an hour looking & couldn't find the most common question ever asked!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

Ok, joking aside, if you want to study primary teaching in Ireland, then yes, you need an Irish qualification. Either honours Irish, or 1st year Irish from an Uni course. If you look up ANY of the colleges, you'll see the entry requirements.

The other option is to study in the UK.
    You've still to do an Irish exam called the SCG on your return though, if you hope to teach in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    You spent 1/2 an hour looking & couldn't find the most common question ever asked!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

Ok, joking aside, if you want to study primary teaching in Ireland, then yes, you need an Irish qualification. Either honours Irish, or 1st year Irish from an Uni course. If you look up ANY of the colleges, you'll see the entry requirements.

The other option is to study in the UK.
    You've still to do an Irish exam called the SCG on your return though, if you hope to teach in Ireland.
    Sorry i was probably looking in the wrong forums.Where is the best place to re-sit the Irish and can you repeat just one exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

From what I have been told, yes you can just resit the irish exam.

Yea, you can just resit the Irish exam.
    I did, in '08, 11 years after my LC.
    Where are you based?
    There are several places in Dublin, Cork & midlands.

Also, there's another great site: www.educationposts.ie where you'll find the answers to all your questions, as there are loads of people there who have been & are in your exact position.
    There's even a thread there at the mo for people planning on repeating the Irish LC exam next June

From what I have been told, yes you can just resit the irish exam.
    where have you been told that?where could you enquire about sitting one exam.

• Advertisement

Yea, you can just resit the Irish exam.
    I did, in '08, 11 years after my LC.
    Where are you based?
    There are several places in Dublin, Cork & midlands.

Also, there's another great site: www.educationposts.ie where you'll find the answers to all your questions, as there are loads of people there who have been & are in your exact position.
    There's even a thread there at the mo for people planning on repeating the Irish LC exam next June
    im based in Sligo,i dont think id be able to go back and just sit the exam,i definetlely need to brush up on my Irish.

But, how else are you going to get into Primary?

Oh, sorry, maybe I took you up wrong.
    No, the places I listed are for doing a course to sit the exam.
    Not just show up on the day & do the exam.
    They're courses, & the thread on the other forum I mentioned are also for those about to embark on a course in order to repeat the LC next summer

But, how else are you going to get into Primary?

Oh, sorry, maybe I took you up wrong.
    No, the places I listed are for doing a course to sit the exam.
    Not just show up on the day & do the exam.
    They're courses, & the thread on the other forum I mentioned are also for those about to embark on a course in order to repeat the LC next summer
    ah my apologises i meant that i wouldnt be able to sit it without doing a prepartion course.Do you know what the best place to do it?

No, I don't know where'd be best over in your part of the country.
    The only thing I WILL say is DO NOT DO THE KILROY COLLEGE course.
    It's a correspondence course where by they post you out the material you need to study.
    It is absolutely TERRIBLE. Please do not waste your money on it.
    I got a B2 when I repeated, but I gave up Kilroys after a month feeling completely hopeless. & I've heard too many stories like that. They take a lot of your money & then don't give a damn. The notes are terrible, support non existant, etc.
    Please don't!!

Some VEC's in your area might do it as a night course, or might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Some do study it alone by buying the course books & then get one to one grinds, which you'd be able to do in Sligo no bother.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ah my apologises i meant that i wouldnt be able to sit it without doing a prepartion course.Do you know what the best place to do it?

To apply to sit the Leaving Cert exam you apply as an external candidate to the State Exams Commission. Applications taken until February 1st I think.

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

I think this is what you're looking for:
    Sligo Education Centre have an information night on IRISH CLASSES
    Classes will be offered for students preparing or resitting Leaving Certificate Irish
    or those who wish to improve their Irish in order to pursue a rewarding career in teaching.
    An information evening will be held in Sligo Education Centre, I.T Campus
    at 7.00p.m on Thursday 17 September
    or by contacting Tomás O’Moráin on 0860815635

http://www.ecsligo.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement