Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to find spare screws for camera?

• 08-09-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

well the title says it all - I've a couple of old Nikon film cameras and one is missing a couple of screws. As these are small (1mm head I think) I haven't been able to find any in obvious places, i.e. Maplin or hardware stores. Anyone any idea where I could get these online (which is my definite perference at this stage)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorDub

Can't help you with the online bit but I'd try a good old optician, they use(d?) to have quite a range of small to tiny screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

you could buy a busted up nikon of the same model on line and cannibalise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I had a problem a bit like yours a while back and after trying a few places, I went into a shop I should've gone into in the first place. An old skool camera shop. The guy who worked in there promised me he would find screws to fit my camera in some box of screws he had in his workshop and sure enough, he did :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Thanks for the suggestions. As I really want to sell this particular camera on, its not worthwhile buying another for the sake of 3 three screws from the base plate. I wonder would it be worth my while going to Conns or Gunns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

theres usually a loose nut.... or something with a screw loose behind the viewfinder..... I'll get my coat

Could sell as is, just state there are some screws missing

• Advertisement

Ghost Train :-) .... I already got strange looks in Maplin when I told them I was looking for a screw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

You'd really need to know the size and pitch of the thread.

Some of the Japanese equipment may very well use imperial sizing rather than metric. I don't know if this holds true to cameras but in other areas of technology I've found this to be the case.

dumb question - but how would I go about measuring such fine dimensions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

There's no such thing as a dumb question.

A thread gauge would be required but this is a little more than impractical for your purposes.

Best bet is either contact the manufacturer or an experienced repair centre, some one of these may have an idea.

Screws can be bought easily enough but I have found that there are typically minimum order quantities by most of the precision manufacturers.

It might be worth trying the watches / timepieces section of Boards.ie as you might just get lucky there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

trican - could you let us know the model & serial number of the camera, and where the missing screw is supposed to go? I may be able to find out what kind of screw you need.

(Be nice, everyone!)

Its a Nikon FE, and the screws are for the base plate

nice find Ghoist train - much appreciated!!! those screws look a little large, but it might be worth chancing it anyway

trican wrote: »
    Its a Nikon FE, and the screws are for the base plate

There are 3 screws in the baseplate of an FE, right?
    They are part number 804A.

Leave it with me for a wee while and I'll see if I can either get a couple, or find out the dimensions.

How many do you need?

mrmac wrote: »
    There are 3 screws in the baseplate of an FE, right?
    They are part number 804A.

Leave it with me for a wee while and I'll see if I can either get a couple, or find out the dimensions.

How many do you need?

Wow - thanks ever so much! any help would be massively appreciated! I'm missing all three screws from the base plate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I needed my watch repaired recently I went to Fast Fix in Tallaght, who had the screws that were missing. They did say that if they did not have them in stock they would make some, at a cost. I think they were going to charge about €30 if they had to make them.

Trican - I haven't given up on you, just won't have the info until tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

Thats absolutely fine! I really appreciate the effort. Thanks

mrmac wrote: »
    Trican - I haven't given up on you, just won't have the info until tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

Dont want to be a pain mrmac - but you didn't happen to come across this info did you?

trican - success! I think!?

It's the counter-sunk screws, right? That's the ones that have a tapered type head?
    If that sounds right, I have three of those for you!
    Just PM me with a postal address, and I'll get them out to you.

• Advertisement

Fantastic! pm sent

Advertisement