Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i do it? Any tips? Im willing to do anything...

Options
  • 08-09-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I really need 520 points (slightly higher than what i actually need, to be safe;))

I really want it for this course that is not available anywhere else:(

Here is the subjects i am hopefully counting for points:
    • OL Maths or OL Physics
    • HL Business
    • HL Technology
    • HL English
    • HL Biology (Started in 6th yr.)
    • HL Economics (Started in 6th yr)

I am doing Economics and Biology from revision books and hope to do 1/2 chaps a week in each and finish by the end of Jan 2010...

Do you think it will be possible for me to get these points?
    Any tips from those who have been successful or in the same position?

I've always been gifted in tests, but never that great in class.
    I do ok in Technology, Business and English in school, though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It's a mighty big ask to cover Honours Biology and Economics in one year. Both are very dense theoretical subjects and there is a hell of a lot to absorb. What course do you have your eye on and what do your teachers think about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm the maximum you could get is 560 so that limits you somewhat. If you've always been good in tests them you can obviously learn your stuff, which is definitely something.

Of course it's possible to get 520, but as I don't know you I can't say whether it's possible for you. You probably need A1s in as many subjects as possible and I'm not sure if Biology or Economics from revisions books is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

I needed high points as well and really didn't know if i could get them. but if you want something badly enough you will get it. i know that sounds easier said than done but..determination and hard work will pay off. I know there will always be people who don't get what they want but repeating isn't the end of the world. Never give up your dream:)

ps get a proper biology book too. personally i found the less stress biology crap. i used the textbook and made my own notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

To get 500+ points, I think you would have to do six honours subjects to help towards that. Otherwise you're putting yourself under immense pressure to get 5As in your honours subjects to guarantee the 500 mark.
    Not saying you can't do it, by the way, but this basically means you've no life until the end of June. Exam technique is indeed a great skill as a previous poster mentioned and it gets you a long way. But you still have to learn the coursework :)

Do you mind me asking, what subjects did you drop in order to take Biology and Economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Do you mind me asking, what subjects did you drop in order to take Biology and Economics?
    I didnt, i am doing Irish and Italian in school, but im crap at languages and im not really bothering with them

• Advertisement

Is there any way you could drop italian, or do you need it for an NUI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Did you do higher level Maths for Junior Cert? If you got a B in higher level or an A in ordinary level Maths, I'd drop Physics altogether and concentrate on the rest.

Don't rely on revision books - even if you knew them cover to cover they're not going to get you A's in higher level subjects, and that's what you need to be aiming for to get those points. Cross reference every question in your exam papers with the relevant section in the textbook, and work it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Economics is a fine subject, but working purely from a revision book to try and achieve an A, seems a bit unrealistic.
    If you happen to know a third level economics graduate or undergraduate, a few blitz sessions with them could do a lot for you.
    Assuming you're smart, you should be able to handle economics as you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephen Esquire

In my opinion the most effective thing you can do is study from past papers and from their respective marking schemes.I skimmed through the revision book chapters in biology with 3 months to go,then backed it up with doing all the relevant questions from the exam papers on the topic, and corrected it myself using online marking schemes.Came out with an A1 in higher level :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Hi there. To be honest, it is a massive ask to expect to take up Honours Biology expect to learn 5 years of material and get an A.

Both subjects are very broad. I had an excellant teacher who never wasted a second of class time in 5th and 6th year and did not manage to entirely cover the course.

I'm sorry to say but I don't think its possible to achieve anything higher than a B in honours expecting to cover 5 years of a course in one year, particulary in those subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I'm sorry to say but I don't think its possible to achieve anything higher than a B in honours expecting to cover 5 years of a course in one year, particulary in those subjects.

I thought it was 2 years material?

In fact im nearly sure it is:confused:

I doubt they would ask you and 1-3yr stuff in a LC Honours exam:pac:

TBH, i would still possible make it with a B1..

Quick question to those who have done Biology for the leaving cert,
    Are there any projects that factor in your mark or is it 100% exam?
    I understand you need to know the experiments, but do you need to do them?:confused:Do you have to do one of those field study thingys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

stainluss wrote: »
    I thought it was 2 years material?

In fact im nearly sure it is:confused:

I doubt they would ask you and 1-3yr stuff in a LC Honours exam:pac:

TBH, i would still possible make it with a B1..

I understand you need to know the experiments, but do you need to do them?:confused:Do you have to do one of those field study thingys?

It is two years material but everything you learn in junior cert science biology is your basis. Then Biology goes ontop of that.

There are no project, its completely marked on the paper. Yes there are around 25 mandatory expierments. You are meant to do them in a lab and then answer questions on what you did in them on the paper. For each you have to learn off the chemicals used ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

stainluss wrote: »
    No projects or field work. There is experiments that you're *suppose* to do and then write up in your lab copy. But these experiments are all done out in the text book so if you haven't done the actual experiment you can still write it up from the book (just use your head, and don't copy it word for word). This won't get you any marks, but if an inspector comes to your school you'll be expected to present your lab copy with all the experiments written up.

Try and do the practicals if you can though, they always try and throw up some question on the paper, that you can only answer if you've done the experiment. And its much easier to learn the method for the exam when you have the practical done.
    Besides, some of those experiments are great craic! Immobilising enzymes for instance: Best. Class. Ever!

You have to study an ecosystem which involves taking a trip to a particular ecosystem (seashore, hedgerow etc.) and analysing the types of organisms there and their relationships with each other and their environment.

Advertisement