Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will France ever sack Domenech?

• 08-09-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

How has this chap manged to stay in charge of Les Bleus for so long?

He makes them such a bad team, how they got to final in 06 I'll never know, mostly down to Zizou probably.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Between their performances of late and the Henry-led players revolt, surely he's got to be gone fairly soon. I know Henry has since said it was blown out of proportion, but with the way he picks his teams (star signs?! ffs) and the way he sets up his tactics (or lack thereof) the players surely cant be too happy. Truly an awful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Should have been sacked soon after the Euro 08. Will be sacked after the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He must be a really nice guy or have some friends in the FFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

beating the Faroe Islands by only 1 goal should get anyone the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Hes way overdue to get the boot. He has really been asking for it for quite a while. Between the poor results and some of the players hes included/excluded at certain times, I would have sacked him ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some people say managers don't really matter, Domenech shows they do. For better or worse. Getting held or beaten by Serbia would not normally be a cause for a sacking and I guess the fact France will still make the play-offs at worst will keep him safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

He took over from Santini after Euro 04 right? Then they were in our group where they were very lucky to qualify. France drew at home to Israel, Switzerland and us in that group and if Henry didn't score that great goal at Lansdowne they mighn't have even qualified for the WC that time.

Then in Euro 2008 Qualification, his team lost at home to the Scottish in the group stages.

Shocking manager. Bet he's managing them in Euro 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Laurent Blanc will be thier next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Shows the power of union membership in france :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He has a lot to thank Zidane for. His agreeing to comeback prior to '06 lifted the whole camp and ensured a successful tournament. He's been living on that ever since.

He was also a very important part of the back-room staff that developed the team that won the WC in 98 and the EC in 2000 so that gave him a bit of a free pass has well.

He has been living off that for far too long now. Hopefully a defeat tonight will finally oust him and then a new guy can be brought in in time for the play-offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

greendom wrote: »
    He has been living off that for far too long now. Hopefully a defeat tonight will finally oust him and then a new guy can be brought in in time for the play-offs.

Jaysus, some of ye are looking at this the wrong way. If he does make the play offs, they could face Ireland.

We will need all the help we can get.

Lets hope he stays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

He could do so much better and he fails every time. Sack him after the playoffs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Why has Domenech still got the job is some good question. It pains me to even think about it. He has been a terrible choice since the start. His squad selection for the was complete madness. I know I am a Man United fan but one of the most bizzare for me was leaving Patrice Evra who had won the premiership 2 seasons in a row along with the Champions League and was in oustanding form during that period and in his place puts Eric Abidal who I think is a good player but during those 2 seasons, he hadn't won anything with Barcalona and wasn't player the best. He also sent home Mattieu Flamini and kept Patrick Vieira who was injured and didn't kick a ball for the whole tournament while it had to be said, Flamini had just had a great season before signing for AC Milan. He also put Abidal at centre back instead of Thuram at one point and Abidal looked way off the mark.

France got held to a 0-0 against Romania before being battered 4-1 against Holland. Was this worse than when France couldn't even score a goal in the 2002 world cup and were knocked out at the group stages. France even getting to their last finals was down to the Zidane mainly and other teams playing poorly.

The other day, Frank Ribery who is currently Frances top scorer in the qualifying campaigne so far and leaves him on the bench for the start of the must win match.

In my eyes, Raymond Domenech is wasting the quality France have. There are some amazing players in the French team and if they had a good coach, they really could be going around doing damage. Imagine the football they would be playing under perhaps Wegner. They have great players all over the pitch. Youth and experience all being wasted by Domenech. It's so hard to understand and why the FFF are allowing this farce to continue is beyond me. It's a pure waste of what could be one of the strongest teams in the world with great attacking talent which would be great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Between their performances of late and the Henry-led players revolt, surely he's got to be gone fairly soon. I know Henry has since said it was blown out of proportion, but with the way he picks his teams (star signs?! ffs) and the way he sets up his tactics (or lack thereof) the players surely cant be too happy. Truly an awful manager.

Domenech must have had words with Henry because Henry was on telly last night giving the most robotic speech of support of the team and management. It was clear he had learned it off and didn't believe a word of it. Saying that the team had played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

mike65 wrote: »
    Laurent Blanc will be thier next manager.

I could see Decshamp taking the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Losing 1-0 to Serbia :D

hahha.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lloris sent off after a few minutes, this could be a hairy second half.
    Ribery and Benzema on the bench again and Gignac up front with Henry and Anelka out wide - genius...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Henry equalises before half time. Sounds like a decent game. Gignac taken off to allow Mandanda to go in goal.

I'll take a draw with only 10 men on the pitch

It's a pity they only drew. I watched the whole match and over all they did play better than Serbia, particularly in the 2nd half, and especially seeing as they only had ten men.

I still don't understand why Riberi didn't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Remember as far as I can remember, in the last euros he left clichy, sagna and evra at home and took Sagnol and Abidal! Also, left Trezeguet at home, who has a goal every 2 games for france

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Remember as far as I can remember, in the last euros he left clichy, sagna and evra at home and took Sagnol and Abidal! Also, left Trezeguet at home, who has a goal every 2 games for france

Oh yeah I had forgotten about that! Madness!

You should check out Les Guignols des Infos when they take the piss of Domenech, it's brilliant.

Advertisement