Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welding Glass Filter!

• 08-09-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I think it was Ricky91t who posted a link before to a UK forum where they had been messing around with some welding glass as a 10 stop filter. Well I ordered one and it arrived today. This was my first shot - unfortunately it was getting too late to go scouting for a more interesting subject....
    Its still got a bit of a green tint to it, but im pretty sure more tweaks to the file could sort this out.

I'm gonna have some fun with this one!

3900777497_fa00c89c4d_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

wooo seriously cool, what length of exposure is that? How did you mount it on your lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Fantastic, love it. Can't wait to see more.

Welding mask glass can often be bought in hardware stores that sell welding rods etc as it is a consumable and isn't all that expensive.

Did the green cause you much bother?

How long was the exposure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

trican wrote: »
    wooo seriously cool, what length of exposure is that? How did you mount it on your lens?

DIY mounted job! A about a 90 second exposure on f/13
    photoqa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Tactical wrote: »
    Fantastic, love it. Can't wait to see more.

Welding mask glass can often be bought in hardware stores that sell welding rods etc as it is a consumable and isn't all that expensive.

Did the green cause you much bother?

How long was the exposure?

The glass cost me €2 via ebay. Fantastic value :D:D:D
    The original was totally green, but i was able to correct this from the RAW editor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Yup, €2 was pretty good value indeed.

So shooting in RAW is the way to go.

I'm thinking some seriously long exposures in a costal setting. Hmm, must consider a few possible locations. I've seen some long exposure shots in a magazine in a coastal setting and there was something about them that was attracting. I think the exposures were very long indeed.

Anyhow, liked the shot and thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That looks pretty cool, its nice to know that DIY and experimentation is still a major part of photography for people nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I wish I'd known about this before spending 100 euro on a 10 stop filter :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I can't wait to get out shooting with these. I ordered mine weeks ago and got mine today too :-)

Awesome sky in your shot man!

Advertisement