Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwire

• 08-09-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Live a house where there was no phone line, wanted to get a landline/1mb deal from either BT or Eircom, but my housemate insisted on Airwire and eventually we got it. Worth mentioning at the time, gaming was a priority but I was told that Airwire is great this, great that.

It's utter rubbish, games are unplayable online because of next millennium pings. Even downloading is patchy, grand some days and other days at a crawl despite it apparently being a 2mb line.

Has anyone found Airwire decent at all, or was it just a mistake from the beginning like I think it was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Hi,

Live a house where there was no phone line, wanted to get a landline/1mb deal from either BT or Eircom, but my housemate insisted on Airwire and eventually we got it. Worth mentioning at the time, gaming was a priority but I was told that Airwire is great this, great that.

It's utter rubbish, games are unplayable online because of next millennium pings. Even downloading is patchy, grand some days and other days at a crawl despite it apparently being a 2mb line.

Has anyone found Airwire decent at all, or was it just a mistake from the beginning like I think it was?

Silly question it maybe but did you inform Airwire of your problems before you posted here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My housemate who ordered it has been onto them a few times. At the time I said on several occasions I wasn't too keen on a wireless provider for gaming because of latency, but I was told Airwire are apparently brilliant...

Just did a speedtest there, apparently our download is 0.78Mb/s, upload is 0.10Mb/s...absolutely atrocious, considering its supposed to be a 2/2. It doesn't matter what we tell them, one day it's fine, the next its dire, sometimes for longer or shorter intervals, infinite pattern. I wouldn't even care about the download being less than spectacular, but an upload that pathetic means gaming online is an impossibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

As you haven't stated who you are, where you are and what your ping times are and what games you are referring to, it's very difficult to estimate, where your problem is.

Fact is, that a lot of people on our network are gaming, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Please contact support@airwire.ie with a speedtest.net result, preferable the Galway server, because that tells us, what speed you are getting and what ping times.

Also, did you connect your computer directly ? Or are you using a wireless router. 90% of the cases, it's the wireless router that causes the issues. Also make sure, no background downloads are running while doing the speedtest. It will not be able to account for the bandwidth they are using.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick response, very impressive. It's a mixture of laptops and desktops; some are wired, others are wireless, but the results are the same on all. It's not inherently a problem with the router, as some days we have perfectly good speeds, but mostly they're poor. The speeds I posted above are taken from speedtest.net, ping time varies, last time I tried it was 228ms. Nothing active in the background, the games vary from Xbox Live to Left4Dead on the PC, so again, it's not tied to any particular program or product. It's the upload that's killing us, we could live with poor download, but a decent upload is essential for games...we're based in Oranmore, 12 miles outside Galway city.

I'll contact that email address anyway with the issue. Thanks again.

It's not the wireless or wired, that makes the difference.

It's unplugging the wireless router and connect 1 (one) computer to the connection supplied from us.

First of all, a lot of wireless routers are hugely underpowered. The speed drops when the CPU gets a lot to do, and that can cause issues like this.

The other thing, if let's say one computer has torrents running, that'll affect every other computer and you'll clearly get crap results. The same scenario, if one computer is virus infected and loads the connection up with spam. Things a lot of people don't are aware of, notice or bother to check.

Anyhow, dump support an email and we'll look into it. We currently only have one area that has contention in the evening times and that's due a faster link, which unfortunatly is delayed because of the various external factors (I won't point fingers).

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Hi,

I have airwire 3m meg broadband and use it for gaming and find it great, I always get the full speed

Housemate was onto Airwire today. Drastically improved tonight, 1.8 down and 1.22 up - more then sufficient for games. We'll see if it lasts. :)

Just to add at times of testing, we always stop any running downloads or torrents, machines are all very clean too. We do have a wireless router, though thats not the problem as we've had that from day 1, and initially we had no problems at all with airwire, it's only lately in particular that speeds are intolerably slow at night time.

Agh...as the night goes on, it's just getting slower and slower. Games still completely unplayable, the best ping I can get is about 450....

Speedtest, as of now, says 0.83 down and 0.63 up for a 2.0/2.0 line, with a ping of 190ms. But it literally changes every minute. If I run speedtest twice in 5 minutes, the results are drastically different. Did a second test there and its reporting 0.19 upload.

Just wondering if anyone could answer a query for me...

Whenever I play a game that uses matchmaking, it keeps dumping me into US servers. If I manually use server browsers, like in Left4Dead, I can see European servers with low pings, but it won't let me join them. When I go to auto join any game, I end up in an American/other side of the world server where my ping is rocket high. My ping is atrocious in Euro servers as it is, but as you can imagine in US ones with pings of 500 it's unbearable..

Any ideas why this is happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just wondering if anyone could answer a query for me...

Whenever I play a game that uses matchmaking, it keeps dumping me into US servers. If I manually use server browsers, like in Left4Dead, I can see European servers with low pings, but it won't let me join them. When I go to auto join any game, I end up in an American/other side of the world server where my ping is rocket high. My ping is atrocious in Euro servers as it is, but as you can imagine in US ones with pings of 500 it's unbearable..

Any ideas why this is happening?
    Maybe your IP is not routed domestically? Other than that, I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you more than one person connected when you're gaming, or are more than one gaming at the same time?

Nope, with the shifts we work, it's really only ever one of us using the net at the same time. Not that it should make much difference really, as there should be plenty bandwidth for more then one client. On my old 1MB BT line I've had up to 4 clients online at the same time without any problems. But yeah, it just so happens that we don't tend to be using the net at the same time. My housemate would just be coming home when I'm heading off to bed. We only run torrents between about 2am and 10am, the rest of the day it's free. Download rates are never 2mb, but they're usually respectable enough (1-1.2mb) that I wouldn't bother complaining really. It's the upload/ping that's brutal because it means neither of us can play xbox live/pc games online because of lag.

First of all, you've only contacted Airwire support email today. With an intermittent problem like that, you need to give support to have a chance to have a look at the issue in the first place.

As for internet usage within your home, even if you are the only one at home, that doesn't tell, if somebody else left their computer on and it's downloading etc. Also background downloads like Windows Update, Antivirus updates etc. use bandwidth !!

As for routing (as what DECEiFER was mentioning). Airwire is domestically routed with direct connection on INEX and PacketExchange eXpress and upstream via Cogent, Smart, KPN and Level(3). All our IP's are our own and classified as located in Ireland. If you have issues not being able to connect to EU servers, try to contact the matchmaking service/game provider and see, if they can tell you, why you are send to US servers. Nobody else will be able to tell you that.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

My housemates contacted you a few times before, today was the first day that I personally contacted you. Sorry for the confusion about that.

As for usage, we live together so it only takes me 1 second to check my housemates room to see that his machine is turned off. We're friends, so it's not like his machine is inaccessible. :) We both run clean and fairly tight installs of xp, there's pretty much no bandwith taken up by any other third part apps.

Thanks again. You understand I don't wish to come across as annoying or aggressive in my problems but we have contacted airwire several times - again, today was just the first time I did so personally- and on BT and Eircom before there were no problems at all.

I'm as clueless about the server issue as you are, but when I go to a friends house with my laptop left4dead works perfectly fine on his connection, its exclusively with my home connection that i'm unable to join euro servers or hold a ping below 300-ish at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH TerrorFirmer all you have gotten from Airwire is excuses and little action, your suspisions were correct to begin with.

TBH TerrorFirmer all you have gotten from Airwire is excuses and little action, your suspisions were correct to begin with.

To be fair my housemate rang a few times before about it but maybe he wasn't following it up very enthusiastically, as he doesn't really play games online remotely as much as I would, just the very odd game of xbox live where I enjoy an hour or two every second night or so. I'll see what comes out of it after I sent the email, give them a chance to see what's up for a week or two - perhaps its something simple, or easily rectifiable!

this evenings test:

562584333.png

that was done directly, without the router. It was actually fine this morning about 11am, ping was relatively decent, 90-120, in games - so it seems pretty clear its a contention issue. something we were told would not be an issue with airwire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

this evenings test:

562584333.png

that was done directly, without the router. It was actually fine this morning about 11am, ping was relatively decent, 90-120, in games - so it seems pretty clear its a contention issue. something we were told would not be an issue with airwire...

Wow,I'm on a wireless ISP in Kerry and I thought my pings got bad,But at their worst they are still 1/4 of that!

The fact you're getting good speeds during the day it can't be down to anything equipment wise and just contention,I'm pretty sure they could move you over to a less contented node(might not be called that!!) and that should help,I had issues with VoIP and after getting moved over to a new node the issues were no longer a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

It's nearly always contention, WISPs are nearly always using 802.11B nodes for a ton of customers which is rediculous...and so you get the 300ms pings when others start using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

It's always contention, WISPs are nearly always using 802.11B nodes for a ton of customers which is rediculous...and so you get the 300ms pings when others start using it.

Years ago perhaps yes wisps did use 802.11b as it was the only solution out there then....now-a-days any reliable and knowledgeable ISP uses 3.6, 5.8 or 10.5.

I think it unfair of you to come up with a cause for the OP problem when you dont even know if this customer is being server by 802.11b technology or not...it could even be a complete different cause all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Out of curiosity I said I'd run a speedtest myself:

562832029.png

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's from the 2MB package, running wirelessly from my laptop off the router upstairs. No other machine pulling from the connection and no downloads taking place.

No contention with Airwire, indeed...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Years ago perhaps yes wisps did use 802.11b as it was the only solution out there then....now-a-days any reliable and knowledgeable ISP uses 3.6, 5.8 or 10.5.

I think it unfair of you to come up with a cause for the OP problem when you dont even know if this customer is being server by 802.11b technology or not...it could even be a complete different cause all together.

Not years ago, it's still very widely used today, alot more than 5.8GHz, mostly since it has higher range since it has lower rates.
    I'd say it's very likely what's happening or similar to what's happening to TerrorFirmer (contention/oversubscription).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, and there's just no shortage of spectrum, and its managed and allocated properly............................... WISP's use whatever is available to them, Comreg are part of the problem

563153164.png

This mornings. Improved download/upload but check out the ping.

What exactly is the "Ping" ?

563179699.png

This is the worst speeds I have achieved since I signed up with Airwire but they are terrible speeds. I'm assuming (Perhaps naive) that they are experiencing some problems.

Will monitor for the weekend.

563477253.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

What exactly is the "Ping" ?

I'm not an expert on it. But the way I describe ping is;

Imagine broadband was a messenger pigeon.

Ping is it's speed. And bandwidth is as much as the pigeon can carry.

So if the pigeons ping is 100ms and it can only carry 1Mb maximum. It would have to make ten trips to complete a 10Mb transfer. With a total time of 1000ms if everything goes according to plan.

Then if the ping is 1000ms and download speed is 10Mb it would still take the exact same time to transfer the 10Mb. Although it would only have to make one trip, that one trip took the same amount of time for the slower pigeon as it did for the fast pigeon to complete 10 trips.

So dependng on ping, a 10Mb and 1Mb connection might be the same "speed".

I haven't checked any of this, just gone by common sense so i could be totally wrong heh

Well not really, you could have a high speed with decent downloading but very poor latency. I know Airwire covers themselves for the the latter in their terms and services but there's really no excuse for speeds this poor. A solid 1MB connection with good latency for example would be much more suitable for games then a solid 2mb line with poor latency, even if downloads would be faster on the 2mb line. But in this case I'm irate over a combination of terrible latency and terrible download/upload rates which makes the connection pretty much worthless for any purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

koHd wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on it. But the way I describe ping is;

Imagine broadband was a messenger pigeon.

Ping is it's speed. And bandwidth is as much as the pigeon can carry.

So if the pigeons ping is 100ms and it can only carry 1Mb maximum. It would have to make ten trips to complete a 10Mb transfer. With a total time of 1000ms if everything goes according to plan.

Then if the ping is 1000ms and download speed is 10Mb it would still take the exact same time to transfer the 10Mb. Although it would only have to make one trip, that one trip took the same amount of time for the slower pigeon as it did for the fast pigeon to complete 10 trips.

So dependng on ping, a 10Mb and 1Mb connection might be the same "speed".

I haven't checked any of this, just gone by common sense so i could be totally wrong heh

Whoa, not quite right.

Ping is the length of time it takes to get to a certain server and back to Your pc. A milisecond is one thousandth of a second. Wiki.

Megabit is a unit of speed, it refers to 1million bits. Wiki

Advertisement