Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Well not really, you could have a high speed with decent downloading but very poor latency. I know Airwire covers themselves for the the latter in their terms and services but there's really no excuse for speeds this poor. A solid 1MB connection with good latency for example would be much more suitable for games then a solid 2mb line with poor latency, even if downloads would be faster on the 2mb line. But in this case I'm irate over a combination of terrible latency and terrible download/upload rates which makes the connection pretty much worthless for any purpose.

Yea that's what I was getting at. A 10Mb connection might not actually be better than a 1Mb connection depending on the latency of both.

But my example was purely in terms of data transfer like downloading. Where the person wouldn't really notice the latency difference between the two in the example.

But of course with high pings, gaming is out of the question. And the 1Mb connection is far superior to the 10Mb in the example.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Whoa, nonsence.

Ping is the length of time it takes to get to a certain server and back to Your pc. [/URL].

i[/URL]

Hmm isn't that what I said?

I might have muddled it up. But that's what I was trying to explain.

Ping is how fast the connection goes from one point to another. And bandwidht is as much data it can take with it on any one trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

koHd wrote: »
    Hmm isn't that what I said?

I might have muddled it up. But that's what I was trying to explain.

Ping is how fast the connection goes from one point to another. And bandwidht is as much data it can take with it on any one trip.

Yes, but Your pigeon analogy is totally wrong, You don't add pings. Ping is usually an average

Yes, but Your pigeon analogy is totally wrong, the 1000ms ping connection would take 1000ms longer.

Would it? It takes 1000ms to get to the end point. But can carry 10Mb with it. So to me that's one trip.

Maybe I shouldn't have used bits.

But you get what I'm saying anyways.

I think I'll switch my analogy to pizza deliver guy and number of pizza's! heh

koHd wrote: »
    Would it? It takes 1000ms to get to the end point. But can carry 10Mb with it. So to me that's one trip.

Maybe I shouldn't have used bits.

But you get what I'm saying anyways.

I think I'll switch my analogy to pizza deliver guy and number of pizza's! heh

You're not understanding this, a standard Windows ping is 32 bytes. It doesn't carry anything with it, its the length of time it takes to get to a certain place and back otherwise known as latency. Read the wiki's.

Open command prompt by typing "cmd" in the run box, type "ping www.boards.ie", this will tell You Your ping to boards.ie, it will run 4 pings and give You an average.
    BTW, ping times on speedtest.net aren't very accurate, You should always run a few pings from command prompt to places like www.inex.ie, www.heanet.ie or www.boards.ie to test Your ping. Using wireless inside Your home will also affect Your ping time, plug straight into the router/modem/poe to test speeds or ping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Connected directly, average 742ms pinging boards. :o

Run a traceroute, "tracert www.boards.ie" in command prompt, some routers etc will set not to respond though for security reasons

Still just as horrendous..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Yes run a trace route. Start>run and type in cmd click ok then then type in tracert www.heanet.ie and hit enter. Copy and paste the results here, I'd bet the latency problem is at the AP.

Ap more than likely wont respond to icmp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You're not understanding this, a standard Windows ping is 32 bytes. It doesn't carry anything with it, its the length of time it takes to get to a certain place and back otherwise known as latency. Read the wiki's.

I think we have our wires crossed.

I'm not trying to explain it in technical terms with real measurements.

I was trying to get the basic idea of that ping is the speed of getting from A to B. While bandwidth is as much that can be carried from A to B on each journey.

Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Latency is speed, bandwidth is capacity. eg 2 megabits per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 winit

hi, I'm also with airwire and this morning, the broadband has been great, alas, i need the broadband for mainly multimedia, video and radio and for the past few weeks I haven't been able to stream any video with comfort and with any consistancy.
    It is the most frustrating thing when you watching something and it just stops. gets going and then stops again. ~Will keep in touch. Hopefully, the broadband will keep as good as it has been for the last hour or so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Mine is also improved today but it doesn't make up for the disappointing speeds at the weekend.

564828902.png

Much improved here as well, don't particularly care about the poor-ish upload, if it was like this all the time reliable I'd be 100% content.

565070814.png

I'm not too happy this evening with my broadband..

565216196.png

Last week I was informed that there is to be upgrades within 2 to 3 weeks so hopefully things will improve. (Kilchreest area) I cannot cope with the service as is at present. Too frustrating. So if any Airwire people are out there, please improve things around here asap.. I started streaming a 9.59 minute video over half an hour and its only half loaded as yet. so very frustrating.... I'm using XP with a 3gb ram. connected directly to airwire with nothing else running.

winit wrote: »
    I'm not too happy this evening with my broadband..

565191006.png

:rolleyes: 1Mbit down, half up, 70ms ping aint too much wrong with that at this hour. I've seen worse 3Mbit dsl connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ive never really seen a wisp that doesnt have contention issues. Lucky to be on smart myself and its mighty! Its ike this 100% of the time.

565235360.png

Not very helpfull I know sorry!

@Pog

I agree there's nothing wrong with those results either. The problem is, getting those results is extremely rare with Airwire, at least here. If I got 0.80/050 with ping >=100 constant and reliably I would be happy, as it would suffice. But it's the fact that 90% of the time the ping is ridiculous, download is slow, and upload is absolutely atrocious.

Take a look at this for example, done a few minutes ago.

565259118.png

I would never, being realistic, expect the 2/2 speeds they offer. But a line that rivals 56K most nights is completely unacceptable. The only time it generally becomes usable is either 3am or first thing in the morning until about 11 or midday. The exact times I'd never be gaming or using the net full stop.

• Advertisement

Very good broadband this morning

565563800.png

If Airwire were this good throughout the day and evening I'd be totally content.. I'm very hopeful

Mines good now as well. I found last night that it was good for most of the evening, and then it plummeted again to the worst levels yet by about 9pm. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason to stick with Airwire unless they can provide some reasonable level of service between normal waking hours, say 10am to 1am. I would be happy even if the lowest point was 0.50/0.50 with a ping sub 90-100, at least it'd still be usable.

565679458.png

565835726.png

I emailed them Saturday, have not been contacted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

565892058.png
    was mine just now - paying for 1 up 1 down and getting it.
    It wasn't working for me on Saturday or last night though - dunno if it was the area, or just me, but it's back on today and I haven't changed any settings.

565835726.png

I emailed them Saturday, have not been contacted since.

Yeah, there you can see it slowly dwindling, as the evening goes on. I emailed them twice, and the representative who posted here even acknowledged that, but I didn't get any reply from them either time.

If it don't improve they can forget about getting my €45 every month.

gpf101 you lucky duck... i could live with 100% service like that

566872369.png

broadband is good this evening so far. was gr8 yesterday till around 9pm then it got slow so i gave up.

My housemate was onto them and they said they have hardware upgrades to do, 3 weeks should see it in and they'll give us a month free. It's improved a bit lately, latency at its worst is a lot better then it was....about 300-400ms vs up to 900ms before.

• Advertisement

My housemate was onto them and they said they have hardware upgrades to do, 3 weeks should see it in and they'll give us a month free. It's improved a bit lately, latency at its worst is a lot better then it was....about 300-400ms vs up to 900ms before.

If indeed this is true I would be understanding however wouldn't it be easy just to pop an email to the affected customers and explain the situation ??

A month free would make up for the poor show.

Advertisement