Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 totaluser

How is the connection down there? Also, isn't it very dear 45 euros for 2mb internet?? Then I'm very worried for peak hours for that price as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

totaluser wrote: »
    How is the connection down there? Also, isn't it very dear 45 euros for 2mb internet?? Then I'm very worried for peak hours for that price as well.

Eircom will cost you EUR 46.79 for the cheapest bundle. If you buy broadband + phone as seperate services it will be even more.

For that you only get 1mbit/s down, 128 kbit/s up, 48:1 (or is it 24:1 contention now ?), rate adaptiveness, a 10 GB download limit and a 1 GB upload limit per month.

How are 2 mbit/s at 16:1 connection on a symmetric package with no download limit at 45 EUR expensive compared to that ?

Yes, you get a phone service with Eircoms deal, but you can't get the broadband without the phone service.

As for Rosscahill, coverage is very much depending on where you are, as it's an extremely wooded area.

If you want an idea of what the service is like, try to visit the Internet Cafe in the Oughterard (Sfear). He has broadband from us and he has also broadband from us at home in Rosscahill, near the church.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Still 48:1 contention on 1,3 and 7mbit Eircom packages. 7.6mbit has 24:1 and the new 24mbit has also 48:1 iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hi All,

I have been with Airwire for a couple of years now and I
    must say that I am very happy with the service.

Any time that there has been a service outage, usually weather damage to nodes, I have been kept informed (Twitter) and service has been reslved in a reasonable time.

I live in an area that is poorly served by ISPs in general and prior to signing up with Airwire I was using Eircoms ISSN conection to feed my gaming habits :)

Airwire covers some areas that other larger ISPs have ignored and continue to ignore and provide a good service and for that I am very thankful.

Keep up the good work.

Regards;

Derek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

I emailed Airwire last Sunday in regards to a high packet drop rate where I live and they got back to me on Monday morning saying that they would have it fixed by the end of the day. I must say that they did a great job and my connection has been fixed and is much better as a result. Just posting to say thanks and keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 123skb

I'm with airwire for a few years and was very pleased with them, but slowly over time they have gotten worse. There support is a joke - they don't answer most calls or emails nor do they fix any problem's.
    I have spoken to martin a few times and fine him very rude. He keeps asking for speed tests to be emailed to him, I have email over 50 speedtests and no improvment.

A bloke for 3 (NBS) call to my door yesterday. He was getting a speed of 6.4 Mb and a ping od 23mS in my front room. This would cost me 19.99 a month with a cap of 15 Gig. This has me thinking hard????????????

Our support can only be as good as you assist us with troubleshooting. This has been explained to you. If you choose to ignore that, then it takes us a lot longer to track down a problem.

The speedtests reveal a lot of different issues, while we can do bandwidth tests from our CPE's and see bandwidth usage, we can not see, what the customer has connected to the broadband connection and the majority of issues are not necessarily down to our network, but to the cheap wireless routers, that customers use, issues with their computers and various other things.

The speedtests also contain other data, such as the time of the test, the latency etc. which all help us tracking down issues.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

I have assisted ye with every thing you have asked from me. And as for ignore, What have I ignored - you have not asked me to do any thing except send in speed tests which I have done for the last few months. We/I now its not the router as this has been by-passed.

So please if you need me to assist: I will give you a full day tomorrow (17th) and do what ever you ask (again) and hopfuly this will get sorted once and for all.

123skb wrote: »
    I have assisted ye with every thing you have asked from me. And as for ignore, What have I ignored - you have not asked me to do any thing except send in speed tests which I have done for the last few months. We/I now its not the router as this has been by-passed.

So please if you need me to assist: I will give you a full day tomorrow (17th) and do what ever you ask (again) and hopfuly this will get sorted once and for all.

No, we asked you to send us the times, when you have issues and speedtest if possible at the times, where the problem occurs, every time it shows up again. As it's random and intermittend, that's the only way it can be tracked down. We've asked for nothing else. Instead of, you are ringing support and asking for a status, but not providing these data. How do you expect our support staff to be able to help you or track the problem down ?

Setting a day aside for looking at a problem, that might not happen all day, is pointless.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

And I have done that, Speedtest.net is almost burned in to my display at this stage.

• Advertisement

Why is it then, that I don't have a speedtest.net result for every phonecall that you placed to our support staff ?

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Thats is because you probably have 5 speedtest for every call Ive made and 15 for every call returned.

This will be my last post on the issue, as you clearly don't understand a hint:

No, I don't have that amount of speedtest results. If that was the case, we might be somewhere entirely different now in regards to a resolution.

I have a phonecall every couple days from you to our support and no feedback/speedtest or the likes at all. Then once in a while you'd send an email complaining, where you'd finally paste a link or two, but that's random at best.

As I said, our support and problem resolution can only be as good, as the way you deal with our support and assist them in troubleshooting.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

As I said in my first post.

"There support is a joke - they don't answer most calls or emails nor do they fix any problem's.
    I have spoken to martin a few times and fine him very rude."

I have sent many many speedand and ping tests, but its never enough.
    But worse again. Its now my fault that their network does not work.
    I should not have to send in speedtest every night for months nor should I have to keep emailing and phoning into support all time.
    But nothing gets done and my calls and emails remain unanswered most of the time.

It's a Shame because before Xmas they were a very good BB provider - what ever went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

"There support is a joke - they don't answer most calls or emails nor do they fix any problem's.

I should not have to send in speedtest every night for months nor should I have to keep emailing and phoning into support all time.
    But nothing gets done and my calls and emails remain unanswered most of the time.

It's a Shame because before Xmas they were a very good BB provider - what ever went wrong?

I have Lighthouse networks wireless broadband, I find it
    brilliant, I dont unfortunately get their wimax product but I get a wifi option that as far as I can see is equally as good as it. I have a 2mb download with 1mb upload for 35 euro a month and speedtests are the same (within a few kb/sec) no matter when I do them.

Maybe ask airwire if they can provide you with wimax, I know I dont have it but it might be better for you, if not give lighthouse networks a call. www.lightnet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm with airwire for a few years and was very pleased with them, but slowly over time they have gotten worse. There support is a joke - they don't answer most calls or emails nor do they fix any problem's.
    I have spoken to martin a few times and fine him very rude. He keeps asking for speed tests to be emailed to him, I have email over 50 speedtests and no improvment.

A bloke for 3 (NBS) call to my door yesterday. He was getting a speed of 6.4 Mb and a ping od 23mS in my front room. This would cost me 19.99 a month with a cap of 15 Gig. This has me thinking hard????????????

What's your location ? You'd be daft not taking up yer mans offer if he can indeed provide those speeds for that kinda money.

Installer:
    I don't think that they have wimax and it does not matter to me what tech they use once it works. However I did email them a while back asking about futher/ planned upgrades to the airwire network in terms of tech and speed but....... Nowbody answered my email.

Tinofapples:
    I have not made up my mind as I might let the NBS settle for a while and see how it preforms in a few months as it has just gone live, also I would have to buy a new set of kit eg: modem and router.
    I will keep and eye on local people who have it and see how they get on.
    I'm in kilconly near Tuam.

yeah think your wise to hold off on 3 as I've spoken to many people who had it where it worked well for a few days until the trial period was over and then nothing, wouldn't let them out of the contract either...i dont think lighthouse cover that area of the county yet but check their website to make sure, i reckon they're continuously expanding their network so maybe in the future... i'd reccomend them anyhow, 9 months on and no downtime as of yet..

Thanks for the feedback. Aldo I had no down time for the first 9 months with airwire either but that has all changed. Have to say, don't know if my rant with martin last nite did any thing but today to Internet has been great, I notice it browsing even. Hope it lasts!!!!

well be sure and let us know either way, if it improves continually its only fair to airwire to acknowledge that. Good luck... suppose only time will tell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

I am with airwire and it is working great, I never have and issue when dealing with Support.

And I hope it stays working well for you Falconire, as it can be so frustrating when your connection is hit and miss. As I said before, I had the same experience as you (very positive) before Xmas.

And to be fair to airwire/martin whatever he/they did today - my connection has been fantastic all day. First time since January.

If it stays like this and I hope it will, I will update ye.

And I hope it stays working well for you Falconire, as it can be so frustrating when your connection is hit and miss. As I said before, I had the same experience as you (very positive) before Xmas.

And to be fair to airwire/martin whatever he/they did today - my connection has been fantastic all day. First time since January.

If it stays like this and I hope it will, I will update ye.

I have being with airwire for a few years and no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 selene

im with airwire, ive had problems with them for a while, have been on the phone with them, emailing them, sometimes they reply, other times they dont bother. martin the the co-owner and i found him rude and condescending

im tired trying to deal with them at this stage, id love to get our problem sorted but they dont seem that interested.
    just my opinion

i wouldnt recommend them to anybody at this stage.

Funny that you find me rude, when all interaction there ever has been is email and you've never spoken to me, at least if you're who I think you are.

Anyhow, all issues that are reported are taken serious and looked at. If they are intermittend, like for example the issues 123skb has, it can not always be straight forward to track them down and takes lot of small tweaks to make them go away, so there is not just the option to flick a switch and make them go away.

While we endavour to deliver a superiour service, our support can only be as good as our customers assist us in the troubleshooting and then have some patience, while we track the problem down. Complaining here will not give any problem more attention.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

selene wrote: »
    im with airwire, ive had problems with them for a while, have been on the phone with them, emailing them, sometimes they reply, other times they dont bother. martin the the co-owner and i found him rude and condescending

I would like to know why you find Martin rude, I have had dealing with Martin and find him very Curtis and helpful.

There are lots of things that can effect you internet connect and in my case it was an issue with my local lan on my pc so screaming at you isp with out doing the proper checks, tracerts and speeds test will not resolve your issue quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Curious Martin, what technology do you use for the RF Access part of your network or even in what band do you operate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 brettie vedder

martin, i find you to be a complete joke. you are supposed to be the co-owner of airwire, yet you talk to people like you are their father. i called for you today to speak to you. i was told you were "unavailable." then i log onto boards.ie and find you have the time to post replies on here, but not to call back a customer. has anyone ever told you the line "the customer is always right?" i have been trying to get an issue solved with you for over 10 days now and still NOTHING. not to mention we have had nothing but problems on and off since we have had airwire (for about a year.)

nobody ever returns my calls. your support team is rubbish. your people skills are ****e. and then your solution for everything is "it must be someone elses problem." you are an internet service provider. i pay you for a service. a service which works about 50% of the time. and dont reply back with your usual ramble of computer jargon to try and sound smart. my connection drops. its not a speed issue. you can either fix it, or you cant. there is no more mister nice guy coming from me. i am going OUT OF MY WAY to tell every single person that your service is rubbish. i will post flyers, post on websites, papers, etc.. i am a reasonable guy, but a man can only take so much beating around the bush. maybe you shouldnt have opened up a business if you cant make it work. and if its not working, you should reimburse people's hard earned money. why am i even paying for something that doesnt work? you pissed off the wrong dude

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 brettie vedder

and also, i have connected to xbox live before, and it worked fine. i dont use a router and plug straight in. nothing has changed with my setup since it worked, and now it wont work at all. the same goes for skype. its NOT a speed issue. it is a connection issue. picture the power flicking off in your house. so each time the connection goes, i lose contact on skype and xbox live. i was told by the technician who installed airwire that "xbox live works fine...my daughter uses it all the time." so if it worked before why now is it not working if nothing at all has changed on my end? maybe you cut down your bandwidth to save money? i dont know. all i know is that it is a problem on YOUR END. not my end, not xbox's end, not skypes. and yet you cant seem to take responsibility and/or fix the problem. and days go by with no contact from you. no updates on what you are doing to fix the problem. no emails. NOTHING.

i have family and friends in america. i rely on skype and xbox to communicate and socialize with those people. do you have any idea how irritating it is not to be able to do that? and then to top it off, no answers. you guys are like politicians when it comes to answering people. and all i ever hear is "have you done a speed test?" yes, ive done about 1000 pissin speed tests in the last 6 months. and unless i catch the dropout on a speedtest (which is impossible because when it drops out i cant access the internet) then you claim you cannot help me. this is like a feckin abbot and costello routine

• Advertisement

Chaz wrote: »
    Curious Martin, what technology do you use for the RF Access part of your network or even in what band do you operate?

We use standard OFDM with proprietary extensions, mostly in 5 GHz, for access, as it's been impossible to obtain a 3.5 GHz in our coverage areas and 10.5 GHz gear is hugely expensive and would make the service unviable from a cost/benefit point of view. We might have one 3.5 GHz area operational soon, but it doesn't really make much of a difference, as there isn't much 5 GHz in most areas, that we operate in.
    i called for you today to speak to you. i was told you were "unavailable." then i log onto boards.ie and find you have the time to post replies on here, but not to call back a customer.

Well, I only deal with support on exceptions or to cover, when we are low on staff. Most of the time you'd find me on the road somewhere in our coverage area maintaining our network. Also, you'd find, that my working hours are quite different from anybody else in Airwire. So, that I'm unavailable, unless it has to do with our infrastructure and you're one of our suppliers, is very accurate. Support issues should be taken with our support staff and will be escalated if necessary.

And yes, in my spare time, which I have very little of, I find the time to reply to people here, especially when they start mounting a personal attack on me.
    has anyone ever told you the line "the customer is always right?" i have been trying to get an issue solved with you for over 10 days now and still NOTHING.

Matter of fact, the customer is right, within reasonable limits. We can't nor will guarantee for products that are outside of our boundaries.

As for you having an issue with ME: If you are trying to resolve your support issue with me directly, then I can see, why you aren't getting much response. I'm not the correct person to contact in such matters. Our support is.

As for us returning calls, our support team returns every call, and they'll leave a voicemail if they don't get hold of people and people have their voicemail set up. They will even try multiple times to get hold of people, within reason. A lot of times people have neither voicemail set up, nor take their phone or are out of coverage. Not much we can do about that.

And as for what you describe, that sounds like an intermittend issue to me, not something to do with bandwidth. In such a case, you need to give our support team the chance to identify it, track it down and fix it, if it is in our network, that is. Ringing 3 times a day, being impatient and mounting personal attacks will just divert their attention from the issue at hand.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Advertisement