Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

We use standard OFDM with proprietary extensions, mostly in 5 GHz, for access, as it's been impossible to obtain a 3.5 GHz in our coverage areas and 10.5 GHz gear is hugely expensive and would make the service unviable from a cost/benefit point of view. We might have one 3.5 GHz area operational soon, but it doesn't really make much of a difference, as there isn't much 5 GHz in most areas, that we operate in.

From what I can tell / read here there seems to be an issue with the link budget of some of these installs. Perhaps better planning / more strict install QC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

Chaz wrote: »
    From what I can tell / read here there seems to be an issue with the link budget of some of these installs. Perhaps better planning / more strict install QC?

Changing the link budget or more strict QC wouldn't change a thing in these cases.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Fair enough - I don't pretend to know your network or what you have deployed as such ....

There could be many reasons for congestion / latency / variable performance - at least with an OFDM solution, assuming the planning is / was done properly, it should (in most cases) work well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 brettie vedder

We use standard OFDM with proprietary extensions, mostly in 5 GHz, for access, as it's been impossible to obtain a 3.5 GHz in our coverage areas and 10.5 GHz gear is hugely expensive and would make the service unviable from a cost/benefit point of view. We might have one 3.5 GHz area operational soon, but it doesn't really make much of a difference, as there isn't much 5 GHz in most areas, that we operate in.

Well, I only deal with support on exceptions or to cover, when we are low on staff. Most of the time you'd find me on the road somewhere in our coverage area maintaining our network. Also, you'd find, that my working hours are quite different from anybody else in Airwire. So, that I'm unavailable, unless it has to do with our infrastructure and you're one of our suppliers, is very accurate. Support issues should be taken with our support staff and will be escalated if necessary.

And yes, in my spare time, which I have very little of, I find the time to reply to people here, especially when they start mounting a personal attack on me.

Matter of fact, the customer is right, within reasonable limits. We can't nor will guarantee for products that are outside of our boundaries.

As for you having an issue with ME: If you are trying to resolve your support issue with me directly, then I can see, why you aren't getting much response. I'm not the correct person to contact in such matters. Our support is.

As for us returning calls, our support team returns every call, and they'll leave a voicemail if they don't get hold of people and people have their voicemail set up. They will even try multiple times to get hold of people, within reason. A lot of times people have neither voicemail set up, nor take their phone or are out of coverage. Not much we can do about that.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

martin, first off let me just say this. you should have been a politician. your answers (if you can even call them that) are so vague. you never assume responsibility or actually answer the question. and you should change your kind regards to "not so kind regards."

its 2010. i find it hard to believe you dont have a mobile phone so i dont want to hear your on the road, out on a service call, etc.. you find time to post on boards, but you cant place a phone call? the truth is you dont want to call because you know your wrong and are just hiding behind your computer.

most of your support staff are useless. we talked to someone tonight and they said they were a "first line of support" but really couldnt answer any questions. how is that support? that is a secretary, not a support tech. and how can a company not have a support tech on call 24/7??? the reason i called for you today is because you are a co-owner. i wanted to let you know how angry and disappointed i was with the current service. and i wanted to scold someone...no sense in me scolding the poor girl answering the phones, because she was not the one who sent me a rude email.

i dont think that was a personal attack. it was someone (notably frustrated) giving their opinion on their ISP. everyone has the right to do that if they are having continuous issues, which never get sorted. and i read through the entire thread. you constantly do the same thing. politician answers, never taking responsibility and talking down on people.

as i stated before, xbox live and skype worked fine for me before. why now are they not working when i have made no changes my end? why does everyone else i know NEVER have issues with xbox live or skype? only me and other people i know with airwire. what a coincidence.

as i stated before, ive been in touch with support COUNTLESS times. its the same thing every time. run a speed test, run a speed test, etc... the reason i tried to contact you today, is because you are an owner. an owner needs to do whatever it takes to make sure the customer is happy. i placed a call to support today as well. they "attempted" to handle my issue. i called you for different reasons. think of it as an airing of grievances.

as for support always contacting people back. no, not true. i placed a call to you guys about 11 days ago. it was a friday night...i spoke to "support." they couldnt do anything to help me. all they did was take my number and put in that it was a "connection" issue. i was supposed to receive a call first thing saturday morning. i was informed there was a waiting list. fair enough...i wasnt expecting a call at 10am. i got a missed call from you with a voicemail saying you were closing in 10 minutes and couldnt help us today. then to call back monday. and then this past friday we spoke to someone. we were supposed to get a call first thing monday morning for an update. no call. so i call at 3pm...oh support is busy, they will call back. no phone call that day either. and then today...no call as of 4pm. i call back...support is busy, they will need to call back. FINALLY today support called us back. then i wanted to call YOU to tell YOU how i felt about constantly being given the run around. your politician talk wont work on me. maybe it has worked for you before on stupid people. so NO your support team doesnt call everyone back. and they dont call when they say they will either.

this issue is between me and YOU and YOUR company. take responsibility for once and stop trying to throw everyone else under the bus. and i will ask AGAIN. our connection keeps dropping. can you fix it???? can you get me properly connected to skype again??? can you get me properly connected to xbox live again????

its been 11 days since we told support about the latest issue. there is no end in sight. all we keep getting is "do more speed tests." we have no time frame for when it will be fixed. so sir, how am i to stay patient for that? please do tell. this is not a personal attack on you. its a personal attack on your company. a service that i pay for. a service that intermittently works. i am not looking for answers on here. i am posting to let others know about my frustration. and i am letting you know about my frustration, since you wont return my phone calls

• Advertisement

its 2010. i find it hard to believe you dont have a mobile phone so i dont want to hear your on the road, out on a service call, etc.. you find time to post on boards, but you cant place a phone call? the truth is you dont want to call because you know your wrong and are just hiding behind your computer.

No the truth is, that we have a support team to deal with customers, as I would not get my work done otherwise.
    most of your support staff are useless. we talked to someone tonight and they said they were a "first line of support" but really couldnt answer any questions. how is that support? that is a secretary, not a support tech. and how can a company not have a support tech on call 24/7???

See, this is where you go wrong. We are not a computer company, nor do we do computer support. We are a broadband company. Our support stops at the cable, that we bring into your premises. After that it's best effort. There are so many different devices, computers, operating systems, etc. out there, that it's impossible to support all for us or know all of them. If you want computer support, you need to get a PC repair guy out. We have clearly limited us to broadband, not computers and not the services that are run by other companies across the internet (like Xbox, Skype etc.) For those services you need to talk to Microsoft .. or to Skype.

If it's something in relation to our network, you need to talk to us. And if there is an issue in our network, then you also need to give us reasonable time and patience to track the problem down, especially, when it's intermittend.
    its been 11 days since we told support about the latest issue. there is no end in sight. all we keep getting is "do more speed tests." we have no time frame for when it will be fixed.

Yes, as far as I can see from support logs, the problem hasn't clearly been identified. Every time you call in, everything looks fine and the only way we can see or track the problems down is by you sending us those speedtests. Simply because they contain the speed, the latency AND the time, when things seem to cause issues. Again, if things are entirely broken, it's easy. If things go bad randomly with no obvious pattern, it's never easy.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

so then why do you post to customers on here? i call support for support. i call you to bitch you out and tell you that your internet blows

i am not looking for computer software support. i am looking for broadband support. your broadband DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. your cable is not working properly. if it worked properly, why does my internet drop connection constantly?????? god you are so thick. seriously, are you ever going to call me back? god i cant wait for operation "bash airwire" to take place tomorrow. i have LOADS of time to dedicate to that too. i have a bachelors degree in IT, so i know a thing or two about computers. this is YOUR problem. there is nothing wrong with my pc, skype or xbox live. if so, then how do MILLIONS of people connect everyday with no issues?

okay then, how much more time to let me know why my connection keeps dropping and if you can even fix it?????? for now on i want email updates sent to me as to what is being done and i want them on a daily basis. i think 11 days is more than enough patience. and i have every right to call you daily to ask how its going. in fact, i can call you 20 times a day if i want. but i dont. the only time i call more then once in a day is if my question isnt answered or the issue isnt solved. jesus god, you are the most irritating human being ive ever encountered in my life.

its already been narrowed down to a connection issue by your support team. i told them it seems to get very bad between 8-9pm, but still is not great throughout the day. i think you need to have better lines of communication with your support team. its funny, i had better internet than this in 1999. my last ISP, i NEVER had any issues and i had them for 2 years. yet with your internet, i am constantly having issues. hmm....

so then why do you post to customers on here? i call support for support. i call you to bitch you out and tell you that your internet blows

This is not an official support forum for Airwire. All support requests should be directed at our support team.

If you want to have a rant at our service, then you can send an email to terms@airwire.ie which would go to both owners.

And the reason why I reply to customers here, is for better understanding in cases, where they might either have the wrong expectation of the service or maybe thought they could try to contact support here.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

and again, how can i perform a speed test at the exact moment i lose connection??? that would be like catching a bullet in between my teeth. not to mention, when i lose connection, i cant access the internet.

• Advertisement

its already been narrowed down to a connection issue by your support team. i told them it seems to get very bad between 8-9pm, but still is not great throughout the day. i think you need to have better lines of communication with your support team. its funny, i had better internet than this in 1999. my last ISP, i NEVER had any issues and i had them for 2 years. yet with your internet, i am constantly having issues. hmm....

Well, it has been narrowed down to a connection issue, but the cause of the issue has not been identified. And that will only happen, with enough data to see what's going on.

As for running the test, if you have no connection, then it's enough to note down the time it happened and maybe for how long. If the speed varies or the latency spikes, then the test is the right tool for that.

While you might have had better Internet in 1999, this would not have been in Ireland and especially not in rural Ireland. This has nothing to do with the issue at hand though.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

oh trust me, im going to contact the other owner tomorrow. and im going to forward him your little email and all your condescending responses you post on here.

why didnt you answer all my other questions?

also, when am i getting reimbursed for all the days i havent been getting full usage from my internet? i have a log book LOADED with days. do you think i should have to pay full price for internet that rarely works properly???? i dont think so. only a crazy person would do such a thing.

where is the data? i want it all emailed to me from now on. and i want the past 11 days worth of data tests sent to me as well. for all i know you could be sitting there all day with your thumb up your ass.

Brettie Vedder - I have nothing to do with Airwire but must admit your tone, irrespective of your issues, is not good.

You have been rude and pretty harsh in my opinion.

If you don't want the service, cancel and move on to another vendor?

oh trust me, im going to contact the other owner tomorrow. and im going to forward him your little email and all your condescending responses you post on here.

why didnt you answer all my other questions?

also, when am i getting reimbursed for all the days i havent been getting full usage from my internet? i have a log book LOADED with days. do you think i should have to pay full price for internet that rarely works properly???? i dont think so. only a crazy person would do such a thing.

First of all, the other owner has a copy of all support emails send. Also, You should read the terms and conditions first and as for your service, please be aware, that you are on a 16:1 contended service.
    where is the data? i want it all emailed to me from now on. and i want the past 11 days worth of data tests sent to me as well. for all i know you could be sitting there all day with your thumb up your ass.

I'm not sure, what you are referring to. Also, you need to readjust your attitude a lot. We can actually solve your problem immidiatly, but you would not like that outcome.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Brettie Vedder - I have nothing to do with Airwire but must admit your tone, irrespective of your issues, is not good.

You have been rude and pretty harsh in my opinion.

If you don't want the service, cancel and move on to another vendor?

chaz, this has nothing to do with you. so just stay out of it. and FYI, the only way to get anywhere with these people, is to yell at them. ill gladly switch to another vendor, once martin assumes responsibility and then reimburses me for all the days my internet has not worked properly. in the meantime, just stay out of an issue that has nothing to do with you

chaz, this has nothing to do with you. so just stay out of it. and FYI, the only way to get anywhere with these people, is to yell at them. ill gladly switch to another vendor, once martin assumes responsibility and then reimburses me for all the days my internet has not worked properly. in the meantime, just stay out of an issue that has nothing to do with you

Sorry but I won't stay out of it.

This is a PUBLIC discussion forum, I have a right to raise my opinion and even your response to me is so typical of the aggressiveness of your posts.

The discussion you are having now with Martin should be private where you two can take swings at each other. If you want to discuss on a PUBLIC forum, then you should be tolerant that others, such as myself, will chime in.

Im not a betting man but I'd be willing to bet €1 that you are probably not able to get a service from Eircom or similar and as such your option to move is possibly not being determined by what Martin needs to do (in your humble opinion) but possibly as you have no other options?

Its a guess at best however ...

well then i will just place a phone call to him tomorrow and we will discuss it. as for terms and conditions...that doesnt apply for me. i apply a little thing called the golden rule. i treat people how i want to be treated. if you feel comfortable charging people full price for shotty internet, then fine. but i wouldnt want that on my conscience. and karma is a real whore, let me tell you. im well aware of the 16:1 contention, as youve mentioned it about 30 times in this post. thats about the only good thing youve got going for your company.

is that a threat? man, you are just killing me with kindness today martin. do you treat all your customers like this? because you are really showing your true colors now. as i stated before, i apply the golden rule. if you treat me like ****, i treat you like **** right back. its quite simple really. i hope everyone reads this and sees just what kind of person you really are

Im not a betting man but I'd be willing to bet €1 that you are probably not able to get a service from Eircom or similar and as such your option to move is possibly not being determined by what Martin needs to do (in your humble opinion) but possibly as you have no other options?

Its a guess at best however ...

well you are wrong. eircom has been in my area for over 6 months. so you can mail me that pound whenever chief. and again, mind your own business. this does not pertain to you.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I won't stay out of it.

This is a PUBLIC discussion forum, I have a right to raise my opinion and even your response to me is so typical of the aggressiveness of your posts.

The discussion you are having now with Martin should be private where you two can take swings at each other. If you want to discuss on a PUBLIC forum, then you should be tolerant that others, such as myself, will chime in.

i called martin today to have a private conversation. he chose not to call back, and instead to post on here. so blame him for all of this. he is ran his business right, then none of this would have had to take place

i called martin today to have a private conversation. he chose not to call back, and instead to post on here. so blame him for all of this. he is ran his business right, then none of this would have had to take place

That's your interpretation of the whole scenario and I've already clearly stated the obvious fact of the story. As you clearly have no intention in discussing objectively, reasonably nor in a respectful manner, the conversation ends here.

In regards to refund, I'm also not the correct person to talk to. Our billing people are. So you can take a chat with them tomorrow.

As for your network issue, that is our support team, that needs the information on when you have an issue, again, not me.

The issue is, that you have an idea, that talking to me will make a difference and trust me, it won't. It won't accellerate a resolution nor will it benefit you in any other way. The fact is, that I'm out in the field during the afternoon and working in the office in the evening, when the support phone is closed. If you want in contact with me directly, then there is the option of email.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

you are the owner, so i am going to continue to call/email you when your team cannot answer my questions...which seems to be more than often. does billing have the right to reimburse me money without your approval?

i think your karma has taken a nosedive in the past few hours. i would hate to be you....

you are the owner, so i am going to continue to call/email you when your team cannot answer my questions...which seems to be more than often. does billing have the right to reimburse me money without your approval?

i think your karma has taken a nosedive in the past few hours. i would hate to be you....

We only re-imburse in the case of a completely outage (of the connection in question) and we can't get it fixed within 5 workdays (for residential) or in the case of us cancelling the connection, where we had issues and we couldn't solve the problem, we generally refund the last month, depending on how long there has been an issue.

Beyond that, as long as the connection was working generally and the speeds were within the contention, there will be no refund.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Bette Midler, you're a nag.

sounds like legalized theft to me, martin. you must be very proud of yourself.

sounds like legalized theft to me, martin. you must be very proud of yourself.

I'm not sure, what world you live in, but you should check the terms and conditions of any other provider and see, if you find any more reasonable terms. Most likely not.

If you do, you should maybe opt for that provider then.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

in fairness to airwire skype /online gaming services cannot be guarenteed over wireless as your conection speed/ping can change drastically beyond the isp control as is the case with wireless 3G midband also suffers from this if you want a steady connection for skype /online gaming then get DSL from Eircom or another landline provider as this is the only way to guarentee hassle free skype and gaming..airwire is mostly for people who just want basic internet that do not have any landline in there area etc airwire seem to be tons better than what i have read about ice broadband here:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Once there is little/no interference and good contention the latency/jitter/packet loss should be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

brettie vedder, if you have a problem with other people commenting on yur posts then you are not in a position to tell them to stop posting, instead report the post.

However in saying the above this is very much a public forum and if your going to air your landry in public then be prepared for people to comment in relation to the manner in which you are doing so. If you don't like people commenting then your only option is to stick to e-mailing or calling airwire directly instead of expecting a respone here to all your issues.

After reading over the last few pages its clear your unhappy but that doesn't give you permission to be abusive towards other posters on this forum, yuou still must act in-line with the forum charter and you haven't 't done this.

[EDIT] I can see you have been perma banned by Jor el for abuse as of lastnight so I won't need to ban you.

Obviously if you are paying for a Broadband service you expect it to work but in many respects a wireless service such as Airwire isn't very suitable for such uses as VoIP or on-line gaming as it'll experience many of the same problems that so called "Mobile Broadband" solutions provided by Three, O2, Meteor and Vodafone will experience.

Given that the ability to game on-line is important to you then I would strongly suggest you look at alternative solutions such as ADSL or cable, you note that ADSL is available to you so I would personally recommend you look at this avenue however given your using Airwire I'm betting that this option actually may not be available to you otherwise like anyone else you would have went for it already..

In relation to how Airwire have handled your issue, at the end of the day they offer a support line and if your unhappy with first level then esculate your issue to the next highest option and follow their complaints procedure.

Being abusive towards the head of a company isn't doing you any favours and from reading over your posts I';ll be perfectly honest I wouldn't be too pushed about providing you with much help, obviously this is my own personal view.

Whilst you seem to believe the Terms & Conditions don't apply to you I'm afraid they do the same as they do to Airwire, if you didn't agree with them then you were more then free not to sign up. You can't simply apply your own "golden rules" to a situation and

Your "golden rule" seems to mean that you can be abusive to people that work for Airwire, I strongly suggest you rethink this "golden rule" as nobody is going to want to go out of their way to resolve your issue (if it even can be).

Advertisement