Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Lightly - RTE 1 Tuesdays 7:00 pm

Options
  • 08-09-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I watched this show this evening hoping to be "enlightened" somewhat as to how to make some more "cutbacks". I must say I came away feeling very downtrodden after watching. The three families in question don't appear to be run of the mill families - I mean family number one from Longford had 2 kids in boarding school in Dublin, family number two had a fab house in Stepaside he's an out of work sparks who used to take home 5K a month, and family number three he's an ex banker and she's a pilot from Howth.

Has anybody else got any views on this show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Some sympathy for the electrician, the other two can crash and burn (apart from the pilot bit).

Maybe schadenfreude is the purpose of this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

dresden8 wrote: »
    Some sympathy for the electrician, the other two can crash and burn (apart from the pilot bit).

Maybe schadenfreude is the purpose of this show.

The show was a rehash of Eddie's Show Me The Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

deelite wrote: »
    The show was a rehash of Eddie's Show Me The Money.

Indeed, Eddie made his reputation as the nation's saviour by telling people who earn 30 grand a year that they shouldn't spend 36 grand a year.

Wow Eddie, really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lorco2009

RTE again show how they are not in touch with viewers and the normal person on the street. Living Lightly literally made me sick and angry actually. Do the 3 families really represent the norm in irish society? I don't think so! Come on , a Civil Servant with 2 kids in a snobby Prodestant Boarding school, 1600 a month on Food , How much does this man actually earn, to support this he must be taking home a small fortune of Tax paying money. Familiy Number 2 , the wife is completely dellusional with notions of grandure. I can go on and on , the bottom line is ....This Show is a disgrace in this current climate when half teh country is living on teh breadline with no future. Please please please take it of the air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lorco2009

RTE again show how they are not in touch with viewers and the normal person on the street. Living Lightly literally made me sick and angry actually. Do the 3 families really represent the norm in irish society? I don't think so! Come on , a Civil Servant with 2 kids in a snobby Prodestant Boarding school, 1600 a month on Food , How much does this man actually earn, to support this he must be taking home a small fortune of Tax paying money. Familiy Number 2 , the wife is completely dellusional with notions of grandure. I can go on and on , the bottom line is ....This Show is a disgrace in this current climate when half the country is living on the breadline with no future. Please please please take it of the air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

If it was up to me - Id just take RTE,Network 2, TV3 and Tna G off the air

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll keep watching but I'd agree with the sentiments on here. It's not very hard to tell someone who is spending €1600 a month on food that they need to curb that expenditure.

What the hell is the woman buying anyway? Two of the kids are in boarding school all week so 4 of them are eating a hundred quid worth of food each?

As for the second family in Stepaside. They want to risk everything to move 3 miles. What happened to this recession the media are telling us about every day? They seem to have missed it! And they were worried about their house dropping 45k in value. I know people whose homes have dropped about 100k in value, and they are families who really can't afford it, unlike that couple.

The third couple were just in cuckoo land. She works three days a week and still wants to take 12 months maternity leave. And the 'expert' has to tell her a few home truths next week by announcing to her that she can't do that - no sh*t sherlock.

Some real people with real financial worries should have been sought if this show was to be taken seriously. The tips the financial experts are giving (curb your expenditure, keep a spending diary etc.) are nothing we haven't heard or seen before.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops over the next few weeks but it has started very badly.

With regards to the last couple (pilot and ex-banker who both own various properties around the City) are in a good position for both to go to work full-time - and get a childminder.

I would like to have seen a "genuine" couple struggling to make ends meet - none of the couples shown are the regular "Joe Soaps" you'd meet in the shops or wherever...

deelite wrote: »
    With regards to the last couple (pilot and ex-banker who both own various properties around the City) are in a good position for both to go to work full-time - and get a childminder.

I would like to have seen a "genuine" couple struggling to make ends meet - none of the couples shown are the regular "Joe Soaps" you'd meet in the shops or wherever...

Exactly. Like one of clips they showed at the end of the programme showed the first couple having to deal with their youngest daughter having a tantrum next week. If that's their biggest worry they haven't much to worry about. There are actually people out there struggling about how they will feed their kids in the coming months....

Lemlin wrote: »
    Exactly. Like one of clips they showed at the end of the programme showed the first couple having to deal with their youngest daughter having a tantrum next week. If that's their biggest worry they haven't much to worry about. There are actually people out there struggling about how they will feed their kids in the coming months....

I wrote to RTE a while back about "Trish's French Cookery Show and Nevin's Spainish Cookery " (I think that's the name of the shows). My main bone of contention was that every week she/he was cooking some dish like duck / goose / veal etc., you know the type of food you'd buy regularly in Dunnes or Supervalu. I asked could Tom Doorley's Book "Grow and Cook" (it's great by the way - very very simple receipes ideal for these times) be made into a tv show - the answer was no. I guess Doorley's not arty-farty enough for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Sorry I missed this show now - does anyone know if it's being repeated ??

1966 wrote: »

Not sure - it may be on their Real Player thingy - however don't watch if you're in a good mood - as it is guaranteed to depress you when you see how much wealth some people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 123abcde

1966 wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1055021

Very phony accents.

Anybody watch the second episode yesterday?

There were some good parts. I hadn't heard of the swapping services and to do a child's party on €48 was fairly good going. Why oh why the mother bought mozarella cheese and rice was beyond me though!

Also, encouraging people to buy those expensive chicken coops is just stupid. A hen would be just as happy in a few bits of wood banged together with some straw in it than in one of those coops that gardens centres are charging 300 quid for. They are the biggest rip offs ever.

Also, another part annoyed me was the family who want the wife (the sole bread winner at the moment) to take extended maternity leave yet they don't want to drop their €50 a week cleaner. Both of them are going to be at home for god's sake!!!!

The show is still way out of touch with the true reality out there.

Yeah I needed a laugh so I watched the second episode. The woman who did the party for 48 euro annoyed the hell out of me - mainly because she was unable to stick to the budget of 30 euro and she gave in to the child. I think that family should have been thrown off the show - they'd be better of on a new show called "Let's See How Real People Live" they are not taking it seriously at all. Her daughter hit the nail on the head when she mentioned that the family were only going to go back to their old ways once the cameras stopped filming.

Another thing that did my head in was the couple from Stepaside - I was under the impression from the first show that the wife was a teaching assistant - but on this show she's a teaching assistant, runs a drama class and also shows houses for an estate agent.

And finally for the couple from Howth - I adored her inventive idea of seeing how much money they spent on take-away coffees (1800 euro pa). But I'm sure she'll realise soon she'll be able to keep her 50 euro a week cleaner if she just gives up the coffee. This woman must really fly planes as her head is in the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kerrymum09

I totally agree, was very depressed after watching on tuesday night, What a load of crap, so glad everyone feels the same as I do, All three families have la de daw accents, with no real clue what it like to struggle... I bet these families were selected because they knew someone working for R.T.E otherwise, the person selecting families for this show must be a millionaire if they think these are examples of Irish families "living lightly",, IDIOTS flipping Idiots...
    As for chicken coops and vegie patches.. aw please.. this show should be showing people how to claim their tax back, if there entitled to a medical card, G.P card, how to apply for social welfare, the different schemes available, mortagage relief payments under social welfare etc, Hundreds of people have NEVER claimed before the recession and would'nt know where to start.. This show should give Information revelant to the majority not the priviliged.. sorry for the rant... this show just made me so angry, watching them help get the electrian try find work, setting him up on the net etc,, what about people without a trade whats the advice for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

kerrymum09 wrote: »
    I totally agree, was very depressed after watching on tuesday night, What a load of crap, so glad everyone feels the same as I do, All three families have la de daw accents, with no real clue what it like to struggle... I bet these families were selected because they knew someone working for R.T.E otherwise, the person selecting families for this show must be a millionaire if they think these are examples of Irish families "living lightly",, IDIOTS flipping Idiots...
    As for chicken coops and vegie patches.. aw please.. this show should be showing people how to claim their tax back, if there entitled to a medical card, G.P card, how to apply for social welfare, the different schemes available, mortagage relief payments under social welfare etc, Hundreds of people have NEVER claimed before the recession and would'nt know where to start.. This show should give Information revelant to the majority not the priviliged.. sorry for the rant... this show just made me so angry, watching them help get the electrian try find work, setting him up on the net etc,, what about people without a trade whats the advice for them...

Exactly, well said.

I didnt like the posh mother who couldnt get a load of sweets for 30euro. Can't belive she gave in to her daughter, she was a total flake. That daughter gave the game up alright, when she said things would return to normal after the cameras went. Course they will, they are not in financial trouble at all. The silly mother just wants to be on telly.

As for the young couple I didnt think much of them as I didnt see much of them, exept for the part of the electrician setting up a website.

The other family where the mother is a pilot. They are absolutly crazy. Take a year's maternity leave, unpaid, both parents out of work? Loonatics.

I'm disapointed RTE couldn't come up with some people who genuinely are struggling and need help financially.

Come to think of it, the 'experts' are just saying what is common sense, are they really experts?? :confused:

rsta wrote: »
    Exactly, well said.

I didnt like the posh mother who couldnt get a load of sweets for 30euro. Can't belive she gave in to her daughter, she was a total flake. That daughter gave the game up alright, when she said things would return to normal after the cameras went. Course they will, they are not in financial trouble at all. The silly mother just wants to be on telly.

As for the young couple I didnt think much of them as I didnt see much of them, exept for the part of the electrician setting up a website.

The other family where the mother is a pilot. They are absolutly crazy. Take a year's maternity leave, unpaid, both parents out of work? Loonatics.

I'm disapointed RTE couldn't come up with some people who genuinely are struggling and need help financially.

Come to think of it, the 'experts' are just saying what is common sense, are they really experts?? :confused:

There are idiots out there though who haven't been listening to common sense, hence the state the country is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Lemlin wrote: »
    There are idiots out there though who haven't been listening to common sense, hence the state the country is in.

Too true.

I'm gonna try and catch this evenings show to see what has happened and if any of them have copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well I've been watching it from the start. Not going to comment on previous episodes - just tonight.

1. Congratulating 2 families on reducing their food budget to approx €600 per month. If they were in any way serious about reducing their costs they would have got it lower, it can be done. As an example 1 baby, 1 child in our house & the entire shopping budget including food, baby essentials and any groceries is €80 per week. We could do it for less too if we had to.

2. The shopaholic mom was told she can't shop for a week. I think the Dad nearly burst himself laughing off camera. The woman needs help, not a ban on shopping. IMHO there is something serious going on that she is so addicted to spending.

3. Sparks from Stepaside - Was it just me or did his client set up a free blog page for him. Is that really a comparable value for rewiring a whole shed?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Wasn't impressed at all.

That poor man who had to do the shopping!! I mean he made the effort, fair enough he had to get his daughter to help (by the way is there men who really can't grocery shop left?), but he got everything on the list and she may aswell have kicked him in the b*lls!!

Another point I would like to add is, these swap shops? They aren't going to be taking dresses from Next, Miss Selfridges and H&M. :rolleyes:

Is this repeated anytime? I missed it yesterday as thought I had Series Link set but didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joeceppi

can anyone tell me what the music used for the programme is???

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 markgoggin

joeceppi wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what the music used for the programme is???

thanks

It's Great DJ by the Ting Tings. Been bugging me like mad too. Shazam on the iPhone is perfect for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dinkydee

Does anyone know where that salvage place is with all the tables etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

I've been watching this program since the beginning and love it for the comedy value. This is a program supposed to be helping / advising people who are having difficulties in the recession but::

a) The family from Howth, they want / need help because the mother wants to take 18 months off work after having her child. Bearing in mind that she only worked a couple of days a week anyway and her husband is a stay at home dad. And they still want to have a cleaner coming in to help around the house!!!! Most people in the country are worrying about making mortgage repayments / rent etc while still working every hour god sends - if they are still lucky enough to have jobs!!

b) The family from Longford, Dad working in the civil service, mum too lazy to shop anywhere but Marks and Spencer, spending €1,600 a month on food (bearing in mind two of the girls are in boarding school), and who walks around lidl like she is going to get a disease from all the normal folk in the shop. Have to say, her youngest daughter is a spoilt head wrecker who the mother just can't say no to. A bit of discipline wouldn't go a miss, or a few slaps!!

c) The family from Stepaside, do feel a bit sorry for them, as he lost his job and was waiting 18 weeks or something to get anything from Social Welfare. They have a mortgage to pay and she seems to be working 3 part time jobs to try to keep their heads above water.

Will miss the program when its over cos I need a good laugh on a Tuesday night - still laugh at the family from Howth posing in the aran jumpers while they were spending over €400 a month on their sophisticated under floor heating system:)

Hope RTE go back to visit them in a couple of months to see if anything has changed with them all.

Still, I'm glad RTE are putting my licence fee to good use, to show a lazy family from Howth how to still keep a cleaner while both parents are off work for 18 months and still wouldn't have the time or are too lazy to keep the house clean!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 evelynq

I loved this show.
    Especially the Mom from Longford. I'd watch her all day long cause she's so funny and lovely.
    Imagine her doing a tv show about ... well anything really.
    I really hope RTE visit the families in the future.
    I agree with everyone who said there are families who have bigger financial problems but the show is for entertainment and I was certainly entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Caught this show last night on RTE, it's up on the RTE player now and I have to agree with the sentiment of the above posters, it's even more far from reality now than it was last year

Advertisement