Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food For Young Maran Hens?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

I bought 3 Maran hens at the Tullamore show and I think they were 2 weeks old or so(the guy was not very helpful) that was a month ago so i reckon they are 6 weeks old or that.

I was feeding them Chick Crumb...the red mills stuff until last week and then the guy at the food store recommended that they start on "Redmills Poultry Grower Pellets 15%".Since then they haven't really been eating as much as usual...im afraid because I didn't wean them that I might have messed it up.

They are happy little hens and since ive given them the bigger pellets they seem to scratch and pick the ground more.

Is there some sort of catylist or additive to attract them to the feed?

Also are they too young to feed wheat and barley etc? Because I have a limitless supply if I knew it was good for them.

Thanks in advance.

Ricky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hi. Glad to hear you are enjoying your hens. In my experience it is a devil's job trying to source any poultry feed other than standard layers pellets. Whenever I have chicks it is near to impossible to find chick crumbs, so I usually end up making my own for the first few weeks & then weaning them onto layers. The growers pellets should be fine for your little flock but perhaps the birds are finding it hard to get used to the size of the pellets after the chick crumb? Maybe try breaking the pellets up a bit - just put their daily ration in a bucket & bash with something - & mix them in with some chick crumb as well. You can then gradually reduce/increase the ratio of chick crumb/growers to wean them onto the new diet. As they get used to it you can start feeding the pellets whole.

Hens do seem to have preferences and are able to distinguish even between different brands. I have found this with mine if I have to change supplier. Don't think it would do any harm to introduce wheat & barley into their diet - again add them into the mix in the bucket & bash them up a bit so that the grains are split (or give them rolled barley). Also don't be afraid to add in any tasty scraps - bread, cooked pasta, rice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

LisaO, Thank you for your help...was great advice all taken and applied...I had my first near miss with a fox lastnight:mad:

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

...I had my first near miss with a fox lastnight:mad:

Oh dear, that's not so good, especially when you only just have your hens :(

It seems to be purely down to luck (or bad luck) as to whether you are bothered by foxes. We are very rural & there are lots of foxes in the local area but luckily we have only lost one chicken to them in 3 years & that was one that was not 100% anyway, so may have been more vulnerable. Not much you can do except be vigilant, keep an eye & an ear to the hens as much as you can & make sure they are shut up nice & safe as soon as they go in at night.

Best of luck.

Advertisement