Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym

• 08-09-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi folks,

I am starting out in Maynooth this term, and was just wondering what the story is with the gym?

From what I can see from the website, the facilities in terms of weights and cardio seem to be grand. However, are there additional costs associated with using the facilities? Also, are there enough machines & free weights to go around during term time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've never set foot in a gym in my life, so maybe this is a stupid question, but are there staff at the gym to help you draw up an exercise program? I'd like take advantage of the gym being there, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

i heard from a friend of mine in 2nd year that to use the gym is free, though whether this will change due to the current economy is anyones guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

The gym is free, and is fairly good for equipment. Generally it's easy enough get to use everything, although it gets a bit busy round 5 or 6 oclock.

El Pr0n, there is staff around the gym at all times and they will show you how to use the machines, don't know if they will help you draw up a program though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

The gym is one of the best gyms I've ever been in (University of Toronto's wins hands down!), its free, has all the equipment you need and I've never had to Q for anything. To be honest its a major factor in deciding on where I'd like to live now that I'm finished in NUIM.

All the staff are personal trainers, they'll show you how to use machines and give you advice but you'll have to pay for more one to one work. I was on a rugby scholarship so I had the rugby development officer help me out in and out of the gym so I never used one of the staff members for personal training but I'd highly recommend Barry Fehily who works in the gym and is a personal trainer, he does Sports Massage and Neuromuscular Therapy as well, which is where he's helped me out and he is brilliant (any injury I've had has been cleared after a visit with him), sound and passionate about his work. His website is currently down but you'll get his contact details at the reception or here. Don't forget the boards.ie fitness forum, that place is great for free and helpful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

You can get a program drawn up for you by one of the fitness instructors but you will have to pay them for drawing it up for you. Meant to be good, though I havent got it done only some of my friends have.

The gym is great considering its free but im not looking forward to using it again as I have been using a really good gym at home and the fact its always freezing doesnt help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement