Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance Masters Research

• 08-09-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a Distance Masters in Research - or a Masters with a strong taught research component - from a reputable institution?

I need to hone my research skills at the moment, and can't commit to a face to face course this academic year.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hi Bicycle

Saw your post and thought i'd make a quick comment. I did a taught MSc last year full time 1 year and my girlfriend is just finishing up a 2 year part time MSc distance learning with the University of Ulster.

The word part-time is definitely very misleading generally you will have to do the same amount of course work in the taught component as the full time students - the only difference being you do your thesis the following year. Believe me when I tell you that a MASSIVE amount of your time will be taken up with doing a part-time MSc - you will have to put your life on hold for a while. It is a much higher level than bachelors degree and the work reflects this.

If at all possible to do it full time I would 100% recommend this - I have since thought of doing more part-time study but having seen the difference between the two then there is no way I would choose this route unless I had no option. This was also the opinion of the people who did my course part - time over 2 years rather than the one that I did it in...in fact the failure rate was much higher in the part time course.

Anyway thats just my two cents worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

The Open University offers MSc that satisfies the requirtements of the ESRC in the UK, where all Social Science PhD students must complete a M.Res prior to doctoral study.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/f24.htm

Advertisement