Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTA

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

i was coming down of the sally gap this eve just below glenmacnass ,when the car in front of hit a sika calf .

it spun it around and it landed at the roads edge .the car did not stop or slow down .

i stopped and in the dark the animal looked dead , i lifted it up and put it into the back of the jeep .

after about a mile i heard a few kicks and after a minute i could see a pair of ears in my rear view mirror .
    i stopped after a few miles and looked at my passanger a nice lump of a male sika calf .
    he has bad road rash on his head a small cut on his back and on his leg other than that ok .

i looked at him a few minutes ago and he looks shook enough but still on his feet .

shock might kill him yet or internal damage ,if he is alive so much the better .il post a pick of him if he lives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Where is he now in your place?

You got him in a stable or something?

Maybe call the ISPCA they might send someone out to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

jwshooter wrote: »
    i was coming down of the sally gap this eve just below glenmacnass ,when the car in front of hit a sika calf .

it spun it around and it landed at the roads edge .the car did not stop or slow down .

i stopped and in the dark the animal looked dead , i lifted it up and put it into the back of the jeep .

after about a mile i heard a few kicks and after a minute i could see a pair of ears in my rear view mirror .
    i stopped after a few miles and looked at my passanger a nice lump of a male sika calf .
    he has bad road rash on his head a small cut on his back and on his leg other than that ok .

i looked at him a few minutes ago and he looks shook enough but still on his feet .

shock might kill him yet or internal damage ,if he is alive so much the better .il post a pick of him if he lives.

Friend of mine hit a sika pricket about last October when I was in the car with him, thing jumped over a ditch and practically landed on the bonnet, two and a half grand's worth of damage, damn near wrote off the car, but the thing was standing there, wobbly but alive, no noticeably broken limbs even. Tough little buggers! Don't fancy seeing the pair of ears in the rearview though, would have been a dodgy moment for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

He he he it would be like bambi's revenge coming back from the dead to take you out. A bit like the film "pet cemetery":eek::eek:.
    Hope he lives though let us know...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

He will,them and cattle can take an awful walloping,that totals cars,and leaves them with very little damage.All the more good reason if you do drive the countryside at night alot to have proper non PC "bull bars" on your 4wd.It can save you and alot of vechicle damage.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

just looked at him again he is brighter looking he drank a little water of my hand ,i was worried about a shattered or damaged jaw buy he moved it ok.

there is no fear or excitement on his behalf just heavy sniffing .i know if i was polaxed by a car a few hours ago i would not be to lively also .

i scratched him just under his jaw he lifted his head into it like a dog would to get the most out of it .

a interesting experience for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

I hope he makes a full recovery....
    Poor little fella:)

Would make a nice change from bringing home stray dogs & asking "Can I keep it mum/other half etc:D?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

JW,

You were lucky you were not on the bike, unbelievable thst he still alive, what will become of him.

Maca

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I helped rescue one that was caught in a fence in Glendalough years ago. Poor little fella had tried to get thoguh the fence but its legs got caught ether side. Kept trying to go forward cutting in to its legs. When we cut it out it couldnt stand on its own so dropped it off with the park rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

jwshooter wrote: »
    there is no fear or excitement on his behalf

JWSHOOTER, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DON'T LET IT SEE YOUR TROPHY ROOM!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

On a serious note, here is what the antis never see or want to see, a hunter looking after a fallen animal. Hunters love and respect the countryside, despite the 'mindless killer' image some would smear them with.

If a hunter kills a deer it's his or her task and desire to do it swiftly and respectfully.

What of the people who hit this animal and kept going without checking its condition.......

• Advertisement

good news to report he is up and lively this morning.

he looks to be ok ,he is standing and walking with out any problems.

But i might have to get tranquilisers for the two wire hairs next door to him

the lucky sika calf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

G17 wrote: »
    What of the people who hit this animal and kept going without checking its condition.......
    Wastrels and plenty more like them besides.
    I had to deal with a Hind last year that had a badly broken leg from a RTA, again they didn't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

great story.
    well done for stopping.
    god he's cute, i dunno if I'll ever be able to shoot one now :D
    seriously though, what kind of people would hit any kind of animal on the road and leave it there to suffer.
    That makes me sick.
    again, well done .

A Country Voice
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

What I want to know is where are all the hippies that often come onto the page and lambaste us? A pity they not very good at giving a lad a pat on the back when he's due one!

Fair play to ya JW.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

See posts #4 and #7 there Jonty...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Good man jw...a real johnny kingdom. he he he he :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He looks in great nick jw. Nice to see someone do the decent thing. They're a fantastic looking creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Fair play jw, just shows what kind of people we have on the roads that could have been anything they hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

fair play to ya , keep us posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

JW I have visions now of that old film 'The Yearling' starring Gregory Peck, needless to say the deer gets shot in the end of it, very sad...........:D

Anyway well done and hopefully the little fellah will get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um what of vet and food?

i had early start this morning ,he was a bit lively for the back of the jeep so put him in my dog trailer.

getting back to the spot where i picked him up , i gave a glass about in the half lite and seen no deer .there was a handy gate a hundred meters away and i backed the box in there .

after letting him off he went at a brisk pace up through the rushes into some gorse.

i watched for ten minutes i did not see any sigh of him but there was a few deer higher on the hill.

with any luck he will have learned a few things ,german wire hair pointers want to play and cars hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Great story JW and thanks for sharing it with us. It'll be a great memory for you and the WHP's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

well done jw hope it brings you luck:D..........one good turn deserves other

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Lucky fella he is! nice one jw!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Well done again jw.
    Great to hear the little fella is back in one piece on the hills where he belongs.
    Nice story

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

great tale
    top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Yes well done
    I've had several simular situations and not a single one survived,curious as to how you kept the animal calm?Deer go BANANAS when handled or cooped up

• Advertisement

kakashka wrote: »
    Yes well done
    I've had several simular situations and not a single one survived,curious as to how you kept the animal calm?Deer go BANANAS when handled or cooped up

on the way home he was standing up most of the way ,when i got in it was dark i did not turn on any lights .

in the morning he was lively and when i went in first he did jump against the wire .

i left in water, lettuce and grass for him ,to be honest im not sure if he eat any thing .

later in the day i went back to him i came in very slow and low ,he was calm even moved to for a sniff and let me rub him.

picture taken on my phone .

the problem with highly strung animals is stress ,so i did not go near him to much.

been a calf at this time of the year it would be a death sentence to have let him off any where other than where i picked him up .

with look he found his mother .

Advertisement