Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums that changed your life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

White Album-Beatles
    Always loved this album but read a great book about it called Revolution. Just opened my eyes to the multi-faceted genius of the band at the time and how far reaching an album it was/is.

In Utero-Nirvana
    Liked Nirvana but wasn't a huge fan. This album came out and blew me away. Great mix of amazing rock music and fine lyrics. One of the first records i read the lyrics from the cover on.

The Bends-Radiohead
    I bought this as a pirate tape from the guys who used to sell them on O'Connell Street, (Dublin) and wore it out on my Walkman. After hearing this album, music was no longer just for background noise. 12 super songs then and now.

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan
    The first Dylan album is a great starting point if your new to Dylan, raw, youthful and a little affected. Compare it to Blonde on Blonde to see how much one artist can change over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (and most of his albums)
    John Mayer - Continuum

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Oasis - Definately Maybe (Was the first time I listened to an album straight through over and over rather than just listening to individual songs, and the first band I ever got really into)

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction (Was the album that made me want to be a musician, the reason I first picked up a guitar)

Underworld - Everything, Everything (Heard it just as I started getting heavy into Trance and Techno {and ecstacy}, basically shaped my whole life, musically, culturally and socially for the next two or three years.

Muse - Hullabaloo Soundtrack (Not really an album I guess, but was the first collection of Muse songs I ever listened to and got me into the band in a big way and kind of swung my interest away from dance music and subsequently the whole rave culture and everything that went along with it and back to listening to a wide variety of music and playing instruments again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DixonBainbridge

Oasis - Don't believe the truth
    David Gray - White Ladder
    Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
    Snow Patrol - Final Straw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Blonde On Blonde
    It opened me up to Dylan, because the first few times I listened to it, I didn't like it very much. But song by song it unfolded, and every time after that when I listened to a Dylan album, I just let all the songs find me, and with Dylan, it's nearly always the case on his best stuff. I love the lyrics on B on B, the strange instrumentation on the album, everything.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    I don't think it's their best, but in a way I like it more than any of the other ones. I never get the sense of it being a Beatles album, like Revolver, or an individuals album, like The White Album, it's just there, and I could listen to it forever.

Zooropa
    This album just contributed quite a lot towards how I think about music, and what I think music should partly be about. So I've always enjoyed how different it was from the things other bands were doing at the time, and I've never stopped liking it.

In Utero
    Kurt Cobain made me pick up my guitar. He also showed me a different way to write- I don't think this is the Nirvana album I like the most (It's a toss between Unplugged and Nevermind) but I think it had the most influence on me.

Aquemini/ The Love Below
    This was at a time when I was listening to a lot of trash gangsta rap albums like they were symphonies- I listened to these one night and thought they were amazing. Made me want to make music in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
    The first Dylan album I bought and one that I played over and over again.

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
    So much genius packed into short a short album. I Know It's Over is one of the most depressing songs I've heard, and in contrast to There Is A Light... which to me screams the ultimate declaration of love.

Blueprint - Rory Gallagher
    The first album I heard by Rory, thanks to my Dad. One of the artists I would've loved to see play live, but unfortunately never will.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
    Another hugely emotional album and sums up alot of my teenage years - probably because I listened to it so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 zimmii

Emperor - Prometheus
    Do I even need to explain why :P

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secret of Silent Earth: 3

Just threw me into less-known music.. mind you, this was in 2003 before anyone knew them :( *feels superior* Basically any Coheed when I was younger. Claudio's lyrics are unreal.

Andy McKee - Dreamcatcher

Got me out of my steeeeyuuupid black metal snobbery. Man is a legend.

Dir en Grey - Withering to Death
    Got me into more, lets say, 'odd' music, plus a lot of foreign music.

Overdue a new really good album :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

The Beatles - Abbey road, White Album
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Swell Season -Once soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Radiohead - OK Computer
    It got me into Radiohead. I can't really explain much more! I love this album. I don't like the term, but it's "timeless".

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Again, this album introduced me to Pink Floyd. It simply blew me away and even two years later, it still does. It's absolutel fantastic. I love the blend of pure relaxation (Us And Them, Breathe) and the absolute rockability (Money), both of which the band seemlessly pulled off. They will forever be my favourite band.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    Before I got this album, I listened to Dylan a bit, but this album was full of emotion that I had never heard before from anybody, see Simple Twist of Fate. It's the only Dylan album I can listen to all the way through with out getting bored.

Mick Flannery - Evening Train
    Story telling at its best. This album is just fantastic. So moving. I love it.

I just realised that's all in chronological order! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
    Go Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
    A House - I want too much
    Granddady - Sopthware Slump
    Ulrich Schnauss - A strangely isolated place

Check out this hour long documentary about "16 Lovers Lane" broacast on aussie TV last year:
    http://stripedsunlight.blogspot.com/2008/09/great-australian-albums-go-betweens-16.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the elder lemon

horslips - happy to meet...
    little feat - the last record album
    tom waits - heartattack and vine
    talking heads - remain in light
    bob marley - exodus
    ry cooder - bop till you drop
    steely dan - pretzel logic
    stevie wonder - innervisions
    steel pulse - handsworth revolution
    john martyn - solid air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Alanis Morrissette Jagged Little pill

Bob Dylan ........Blood on the tracks
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
    I bought this album when I was 14, and it totally changed the type of music I listened to. I literally listened to it every day for about a year.

The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow
    I bought this album the week I started my first year of college, and I just have so many good memories every time I listen to it. It also introduced me to my favourite band ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

In no particular order:

Blur - Blur I think Song 2 made me decide to start playing drums.

Nirvana - Incesticide I rented this from a library on tape! listened to it many times, had a big impact on me.

Oasis - What's the Story....Blew me away.

Radiohead - The Bends Just a great album with one great song after another.

Arcade Fire - Funeral Just when I was losing faith in modern music, this came along.....

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - Although a great album, the real reason it's important to me is kinda personal.

Nirvana - Nevermind I've listened to this soooo many times now, that sadly it sounds kinda stale, but this album had a big effect on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

De Stijl
    Recorded on a 4 track in a bedroom, has more balls and passion then anything else I've heard in the last ten years.

I'll never forget the first time I heard Led Zeppelin I..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Pixies - Doolittle
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

and rather adolescent, but introduced me to music that goes just a teeny bit more mental, The Used's self-titled. I still remember being a 15 year old on the way home on the bus and playing that CD in my discman. The first song starts after 16 seconds, and I was smitten by 25 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was my first exposure to U2 and I've been utterly obsessed with them ever since. While it might in fact have been the concert on that tour which got me completely hooked on them, City of blinding Lights was definitely the first of their songs I heard knowing it was U2, and to this day remains one of my favourite songs of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Police: "Synchronicity"

Paul Simon: "Graceland"

Alpha Blondy: "Jerusalem" (African reggae)

Death Cab for Cutie: "Transatlanticism"

Thievery Corporation: "Richest Man in Babylon"

Bebel Gilberto: "Bebel Gilberto"

Thomas Mapfumo: "Spirits to Bite Our Ears" (Zimbabwe)

Radiohead: "Rainbows"

Beck: "Modern Guilt"

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: "It's Blitz!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pendulum - In Silico

I waited 18 years of my life to find the perfect music for me, and this was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

QOTSA - Songs for the deaf
    Johnny Cash - American IV

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Aphex Twin - DrukQs, seriously can't stop listening to this album. Sounds like pure noise at first but the more you listen, the more you here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

weemcd wrote: »
    QOTSA - Songs for the deaf

Oh good choice. That album is a master class for drummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

harry nilsson - the point.

Christ havent thought of that album in years.Has to be one of the best(weird) albums i have listened to.Have it on vinyl somewhere must dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Oh good choice. That album is a master class for drummers.

Definately Grohls finest hour as a drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Bitches Brew - Miles Davis. What a fuucking intense piece of art. The eponomous track comes in at 26:58 minutes.

Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.

Taste - Live at the Isle of Wight. Just brilliant...espiacally the last track, Catfish, their encore!

London Calling - The Clash

The Stone Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yeah definitely a lot of the above, though I tend to think of the standout singles, like the Smashing Pumpkins' 1979, Radiohead's 'Creep', RHCP 'Scar Tissue', Bowie's 'Heroes', Nirvana's 'Lithium', Kings of Leon 'Use Somebody', The Cure's 'A Forest', ah there's just too many.. If anyone here likes reggae (the real stuff, not wot they call reggae these days) then ya gotta hear 'Super Ape' by the Upsetters. Lee 'Scratch' Perry at his very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Sarah Mclachlan-surfacing

Coldplay-A rush of blood to the head

Crowded House- Best of

Faithless-Reverence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Not gonna waffle on but these would be some of the albums that really stand out for me. Each one opened my eyes that little bit further and got the hair on the back of my neck standing on end. :)

QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
    Coldplay - Parachutes
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é
    Deftones - Deftones
    The Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up the Fire, And Let the Flames Break Loose
    Hell is for Heroes - Neon Handshake
    Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo Of Bliss
    Pearl Jam - Live at The Point Theatre, Dublin
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - B.R.M.C
    Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged album
    Vex Red - Start With a Strong and Persistent Desire